This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dannyt70

Reaction score
hello everyone i like so many of you once were am new here..the plan...400w mh soil in the crawl space.love this site so informative cant wait for the good tips from all thanx in advance

First of all welcome abroad! Moreover, you can check out main page of this website for guides also follow the signatures of experts, most of them are filled with very helpful information.

without starting a new thread...searching doesnt help either...vast reading...my ? im growing in the crawl space under my house...initially had inssulation hanging animal carcasses and the like anywho i have dug a massive crater 7 feet deep my concern was growing indoors and controlling temp down here i need all the heat i can get including heaters how much fresh air do i need down here is there sufficient air in the massive crater i dug im pulling 2 4inch vent ducts from the foundation vent in combo 400w mh and4 4 bulb flouros does anyone expect growth retardation from lack of oxygen??what ere some cheap remedies

Being 7 feet in the ground you will have some natural cooling from the earth. I am still little confused about your setup though. So i guess u are going to cover the top of this hole and your gonna grow in there. Also what is the length and widht of this hole?

Here are the issues i can see.

1. Cave ins- Unless you have all that dirt held up by something there is a possibily for your walls to cave-in.

2.Humidty and Water- How do you plant on all the water in the ground. Will your hole fill with water after a heavy rain? Either way in a crawl space humidty will be your greatest challenge.

3. Cooling- Does your duct work for your A/C run under house? If so just tap a run off your duct work and run some flex duct into the bottom of your hole. Then run 2 4" vent into your box, hook one to your light hood and let the other just suck air form the top.

thanx for the info...dimensions are 4feet wide six feet long and is 7 feet from the bottom of the floor joists which makes the depth of the dirt around 3and a half feet deep the side are very sturdy no worries of cave in im going to enclose 3 side with plywood to mount my side lights and fans timers and what not the top will be open and the front 400w mh three four bulb flouro and thats it the conditions are dry there are no signs of mold anywhere

Welcome to MP. Glad to have ya here and hope to see ya around. Enjoy the site! ;)

hello and welcome ,,,:peace:good luck with your venture:48:

Welcome aboard Danny- We'll all be interested to see how your set-up works out. 400 watt MH puts out a little heat, but you're essentially growing in a cave- how far below grade are you? The deeper, the cooler- but should stay consistent year round. Good luck.

being in a hole it may actually condence the co2 and be bennifical. i grew in the crawlspace last winter so as to use the heat to keep pipes from freezing. had no cavein trouble but we have a very low water tabel here. i used 500w of hps (2 250`s). i put the plants right in the dirt floor and hung lights overhead. it werked out good for me no frozen pipes and a harvest in april

i love it thief thats cool thanx a ton i am about 3 1/2 feet below grade like you all have said very consistant throughout the entire year here in oregon we have mild winters and summers and also i live on the top side of the hill here in town so standing water doesnt pose a problem but i do have 4 inches of rock down and a small pump just in case

Latest posts

Back