? on topping

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
blondeboy said:
This is the best method by following these instructions. I usually like to pinch the new growth first, w/o removing it, and let it heal for a while. Your developing root growth when your pinching it and it allows the steam the stealth that it will need to carry the weigh of the bud. It will branch out developing more fan leafs which will eventually become flowing sights. Meanwhile, 3 extra top branches will rise up from the top, most of the time. When those new 3 branches mature to a stealth level, 3or 4 fan leafs down, carefully top them. I eventually top those 3 new developing branches to make 3 times as many clones from pinching first. But if you’re in a big hurry to light up a joint, don’t top just pinch! It will take longer to flower, if you top it.
this is what i did today , just pinched the top and left it there:hubba: :hubba: :confused:

It is important to know why you are topping your plant(s) before actually doing so. In some cases, topping a plant encourages additional sites from which 2 new pairs of vegetative shoots will be born from. If your light source is inadequate, then you may want to top your plants at a young age to encourage a shorter, more bushy looking plant. More times than not, people top or prune their plants because someone told them they need to do it. Nothing could be further from the truth here. Topping, like pruning, is a remedy for specific types or outcomes that one wishes to achieve. For God's sake, if you are outdoors, and have the space, let the individual plants genetics do their thing, and enjoy the variety of this most impressive and interesting species :):holysheep:

hi im new to growing and this site ive been on all day reading and have got alot of insight ive read alot about LST but was wondering i toped my plant and now its about 5 1/2 weeks old i feel like the stem is to tuff to LST is there a real difference between HST or LST other than the wait for the plant to heal its wounds how many times can i do it before it really hurts the plant how long should i wait between tops

The difference between HST and LST is in the name. HST(high stress training) involves cutting and breaking of the plant to achieve some result (typically slowing verticle growth or creating multiple stems and/or colas).

This activity causes considerable stress to the plant and could concievably injure the plant to the point of stunting or even killing it. The key to HST is to do it when the plant is at its healthiest and in the strongest mode of growth so that it can handle the stress and heal itself. It also requires considerable knowledge and experience that can only be achieved by injuring and/or killing a given number of plants with this method :)

I have literally broken branches and bent them horizontal and came back a few days later expecting them to be dead, only to find that they healed themselves and had straightened back halfway upright. Young vegging MJ, when healthy, is very resilient.

Some people are not comfortable doing HST or just don't think it is necessary to achieve results when LST(low stress training) is a viable alternative. LST involves manipulating the plant in any way that does not do injury to the flesh of the plant.

You can tie down a plant from its first week to its last without causing any stress. Even an older plant can be tied and bent as far as possible without breaking, and then adjusted more every few days until the plant is bent as far as desired.

More often when a plant has grown too tall and stiff to bend, the upper portion and/or the longer side branches can be tied to allow more light penetration into the depths of the plant to encourage lower bud maturation.

In my opinion and experience, the best use of LST is when a plant is at 3-4 weeks old, it is bent over to encourage it to grow on a low diagnal. This allows and encourages all of the side branches to to grow upward, which when taller than the meristem, will be given the hormones that promote main cola growth and development.

There is another very good method that goes with this called "ScrOG". That is a "screen of green". By using a screen(with 1-3" holes) low over the growing plant, it is encouraged to grow horizontally beneath the screen, which allows equal light penetration to all of the plant. This also encourages the side branches and tertiary growth to reach for the light and become main colas.

Both LST and ScrOG are usefull methods for keeping a plant growing low and for maximizing the bud production of a single plant. I hope this gives you some perspective on these methods. :)

Nice post HP. I've had to do a bit of bondage on my last two grows.

thanks that was helpful didnt know what scrog was so thanks for the ex

i just posted this pic to show an example of lst on a young plant. This one has been in this position for about a week. I'm not sure of everyone practice but on young ones i like to give a few days rest ,untied, for a few days ,then re-adjust with a little more bend. I spose' you don't have to do that, but i do.
Anyway, ....and she's about a month or so old.

DSCI0002-2.JPG

Latest posts

Back