opinions on how long to run light?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KP419

Reaction score
Using a 400 watt MH light and right now am running 24 hours on. Usually i run 18/6 but plants usually stretch while light is off. Do you think i should keep running 24 hours or should I have a dark period?

Havin dark period works fur me and saves a bit of change for yur hydro too ;)

BWD

I run 24/7. Keeps the internodes tight and there's 6 more hours of growth per day going on as well if you keeper at 24/7. Plus you don't need a timer. :)

i use a 20/4 light cycle it works out pretty good for veggin

24/7, save money by not having to veg as long to get same size plant

I never thought about that pcduck...if i had a dark period than would have to veg longer and would stretch more so really I would be using same amount of electric n the end but i think with better results running 24. Thx for the help everyone.

I always veg at 24-0....so much easier and you get a quicker veg period without all that stretching.

KP419 said:
Using a 400 watt MH light and right now am running 24 hours on. Usually i run 18/6 but plants usually stretch while light is off. Do you think i should keep running 24 hours or should I have a dark period?

I think that you actually answered your own question. If they stretch during the dark period, do not have a dark period. I am also one who runs their veg lights 24/7 to prevent stretch.

I've always used a MH light to veg with but have also heard of people running HPS to veg. I know that both can be done but which would give better results? I know the blue light from a MH promotes vegging and the red/orange light from HPS promotes flowering but I'd like to know results from people with first hand experience and their opinions on this.

KP419 said:
I've always used a MH light to veg with but have also heard of people running HPS to veg. I know that both can be done but which would give better results? I know the blue light from a MH promotes vegging and the red/orange light from HPS promotes flowering but I'd like to know results from people with first hand experience and their opinions on this.

From my personal experience I would choose neither of those lights to veg. I have vegged with MH, HPS and HO T5's and the T5's do the best job for me hands down. The HPS seemed to promote more stretching between nodes than the MH but the extra lumens kind of made up for it a bit so long as I could keep temps in check and get the light down as close as possible. The T5's were the winners though because they run cooler enabling you to get the light right down on them which produces some tight nodes. The T5's do really well until the plants get bigger and then penetration becomes an issue. If I was going to veg for a long time I would run T5's till they got to a certain size and then put them under the HPS (or MH) in an air cooled hood or cool tube. Jmo

Latest posts

Back