Passive or Active Intake

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tokensmoke10 said:
So lefthand doesn't think I should use passive intake?

personally in a small box as such as that no.. your gonna wanna have the holes near or at the front to pull the air towards the back to pull fresh air over the plants.. but doing do your going to need a few smaller holes which will be a PITA to keep light out. as already mentioned.. so if you force air in let say in the middle just off the bottm it will blow nice fresh air across your grow.. then your exhaust up top.. fans can have ducting ran from each to aviod light.. thats the way i would do it.. just my opinion.. lol
LH

LEFTHAND said:
personally in a small box as such as that no.. your gonna wanna have the holes near or at the front to pull the air towards the back to pull fresh air over the plants.. but doing do your going to need a few smaller holes which will be a PITA to keep light out. as already mentioned.. so if you force air in let say in the middle just off the bottm it will blow nice fresh air across your grow.. then your exhaust up top.. fans can have ducting ran from each to aviod light.. thats the way i would do it.. just my opinion.. lol
LH

Well I am going to be about 12 CFL's so I don't know if that would heat it up too much. If it does, I've read that passive intake systems exhaust the heat alot more efficiently than active intakes. As far as keeping light out, this box doesn't need to be 100% light tight. The lights in the box will be on during the day so it'll be harder to see it in the light. But to help I'll be adding some kind of mesh over the holes and I could paint the part under the cabinet black to help catch light.

Tokensmoke10 said:
Well I am going to be about 12 CFL's so I don't know if that would heat it up too much. If it does, I've read that passive intake systems exhaust the heat alot more efficiently than active intakes. As far as keeping light out, this box doesn't need to be 100% light tight. The lights in the box will be on during the day so it'll be harder to see it in the light. But to help I'll be adding some kind of mesh over the holes and I could paint the part under the cabinet black to help catch light.

cfls will heat up on you.. and are harder to cool then a hps.. having forced air allows you to feed in cool air. not drawing in the air thast around you..
if you plan to flower in that box you will want it completly light tight yes.. you you may see some nanners..:eek: .....
the benifit of having it that was as well is you dont have to try to fit an osculating fan in there.. thats if your intake is blowing on or in the middle of your area... just a thought man... i wouldnt say passive intakes are more efficent.. one less fan.. thats all..
LH

LEFTHAND said:
cfls will heat up on you.. and are harder to cool then a hps.. having forced air allows you to feed in cool air. not drawing in the air thast around you..
if you plan to flower in that box you will want it completly light tight yes.. you you may see some nanners..:eek: .....
the benifit of having it that was as well is you dont have to try to fit an osculating fan in there.. thats if your intake is blowing on or in the middle of your area... just a thought man... i wouldnt say passive intakes are more efficent.. one less fan.. thats all..
LH

I appreciate your input Lefthand but I think I'm going to give the passive intake a try. If in fact it doesn't work out the way I planned then I'll set up an active intake.

When ya talked about light leaks, for some reason I thought light leaking out of the intakes and people seeing but of coarse I wan't it completely dark for flowering :D I'm hoping that since the area for the intakes is close enough to the ground and the carpet will stop any light sneaking up the intakes.

Tokensmoke10 said:
I appreciate your input Lefthand but I think I'm going to give the passive intake a try. If in fact it doesn't work out the way I planned then I'll set up an active intake.

When ya talked about light leaks, for some reason I thought light leaking out of the intakes and people seeing but of coarse I wan't it completely dark for flowering :D I'm hoping that since the area for the intakes is close enough to the ground and the carpet will stop any light sneaking up the intakes.

cool.. just a sujestion man... i also sujest you throwing your lights in there and running it for a day b4 you put plants in.. like i said b4 them cfls are going to heat up.. moe then you thnk and people say.. just incase your intake holes close to the ground dont cut er...
smoke on man
LH

Ya especially since I'm trying something new I'm definitely interested in how hot it gets before putting my girls. Hopefully construction of the cabinet will be done soon so I can test it out!

:peace:

Latest posts

Back