plant rotation during the flowering period?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Seems to me the best thing to do is post up what works for you as an individual. Let others post up the same and let the person asking the ? make up there own mind. :)
All I know is what works for me..but might not work for someone else. We all have different enviro variables that we might not even know about. If it works go with it...if it don't try something else...It is after all a weed and not heart surgery ;)
I don't rely on "scientific evidence" I grow every plant..if I try something new its on 1 or 2 if it did better than the rest then it works. If not ditch it and try something else. All it needs is light, nutrients, water, and air. The rest is maximizing. ;) scientific evidence has its place, but I don't think there's a report on rotating plants is a good thing or a bad thing, if you get better results doing it go with it, if not don't.
Its a weed...good grief think some people the way they are acting someone bad mouthed the pope or sumit. :p

MUtt I don't really rely on scientific evidence all that much either, my whole problem with the original post was that people were talking about rotating plants was some terrible thing, not good for our plants, and it shouldn't be done, suddenly in a couple other posts people were all worried because they had been moving there plants, some rotating to try and get buds even amount of time in the light etc.

My whole problem is that at times people state their opinions as if they are facts, and people who don't have alot of growing experience see this and believe it to be gospel, when in fact it is an only oppinion...sometimes these oppinions are less than optimal.

When I give an oppinion I state it as such, with saying things like ...this is how I do it, or IMO, I would....I don't say do this, or don't do this unless it is a fact.

Yesterday people were saying it is bad to move plants...because in nature they don't get moved...which led me to say we are not trying to copy nature, which was again not areed on.

My whole point is that we have alot of people trying to learn how to grow, they need to understand that we are not trying to replicate nature, we are trying to manipulate the environment to get the best yeild. Evidently some people don't want to believe in that fact.

I just didn't want people basing their whole grow on a few peoples oppinions, that is why the statement came out the way it did...unless there is some scientific truth to the idea of moving plants being bad, then it should not be stated as it is one of the ten commandments.

Sorry if anyone is offended by the facts or my oppinions.

Any way that you can hit all the buds from as many angles from the light as you possibly can, the more dank and uniform maturity and development you'll have in your canopy and that's what we're all after. When I grow really flexible sativa strains I'll often use stakes and tie the stems/buds down to a stake for a while and then I'll untie it and turn the stem/bud over and tie it down to get light to the under side of the bud and there are no gnomes around here that do that for my outdoor plants. ;) Through using LST and pruning I attempt to keep all my buds within 36" of my light which is optimum outer range for my 1K hps. I guess it's the equivalent of trying to give my gals 12 hours of high noon every day... :hubba:

Happy Growing!:cool:

ye LF it was my mistake i stated my belief as a fact didnt say "IMO" i still take it forgranted that people know that it's just opinions what they read here but ye you are right many newbs who know nothing would take bad opinions as facts... that said i'll get back to the subject, rotation. what made me believe that plants should not be moved too much is because i had plants that were bent to one side so i let them grow then after 3-4 weeks in flowring i rotate them 180 degrees to let the buds from shaded part to grow but i saw that they take time to start growing and the bent plant adjusts its position to the light it takes days till i see buds growing again. this led me to ask questions about this and this was long ago in an old forum that has crashed. then many growers came to say that they dont rotate after they put in 12/12 only if the plants stretch and need to be moved apart they are moved, i wish i had info saved from there but i think there was some sources from books that said this but im not sure really. i remember very well that the general consensus then was that they shouldnt rotate plants since i stopped rotating them since i had this opinion and i dunno but to me IME it looked like the buds are denser no more fluffy. now i read with all these growers here and all the ones who rotate are sayin they only do it in 1/4 turn and this miight be no harm since it will take the plant very little effort and stress to adjust it will be like the sun rise and set, maybe it can even help however i still wouldnt do it since it's too much effort to rotate em daily even in net cups in a DWC. just my opinion, cheers :)

EVERYONE-

I apologize for the confusion. I for some unknown reason I addressed the post to the wrong person. Only the first paragraph was directed to any one in particular and that was in response to legalize_freedom's original post #18.

Since then legalize_freedom has edited the post himself. I also want to commend legalize_freedom for spotting the possible problem with the original post and editing it out. That takes character to do.

The rest of the post was intended as a discussion in general about some very harmful and disturbing trends in the MJ community as a whole and unfortunately even in our forums.

Now that my post has been deleted, it really isn't worth trying to repeat. Those of you that read it,please be assured that none of it after the first paragraph was intended to apply to any one individual or group of individuals.

Again, I apologize for the confusion and specifically apologize to leafminer because he wasn't even involved in this thread.

Good smoking.

In my limited experience growing an the extensive experience of my mentors, rotating is neither good or bad, depending upon what the circumstances are.

Also, I know of NO reason to think the answer would be any different in veg than in flowering.

Sometimes I rotate a plant if I don't like something that looks like it might be light or breeze related, just like I may switch positions in the room if one plants seems to be getting more useful light than another one.

I do agree that EXCEPT IN EMERGENCIES any changes to a plants orientation or environment should be done in small steps.

2dog, I don't know if it applies to weed or not but I was taught long ago by some very successful landscapers and have read it too that trees did a lot better if they were marked where the north side of the trunk was and then replanted facing the same way. I never did really understand their reasoning about why it was that way, just that is was that way. Like I said earlieer, I hav eno idea how this would relate to weed plants, if at all, but I thought about it when I ready your post about how you rotate yours outdoors.

On the water stagnation and roots growing into the ground issues, have you tried using some kind plate, like and upside down dinner plate that would let the water drain away from the pot and yet also keep the roots from growing into the ground.

It is ironic how much of what we learn is little pieces unrelated to the topic at hand. I just realized that in my mind's eye outdoor grows were done by planting the plants into the dirt, not putting them in pots and setting the pots outside.

Good smoking and again I apologize for the confusion and any offense I may have caused leafminer.

I believe that we all rely on "scientific evidence"to some extent--there is no reason to reinvent the wheel. There are some things that we KNOW--that science has basically "proven" (okay, yeah, yeah, I know science never really proves anything). However, I feel no need to try any other light schedule than 12/12 for flowering. Controlled studies have been done and we know that this is the best light schedule to flower (non-autos). Studies have shown that other light schedules produce less THC. Other studies have been done...I know that nutrients are only available to plants at certain pH levels. I know that marijuana needs certain temperature ranges to survive. I know that a plant needs fan leaves to produce bud...

I don't know if plants suffer if you rotate them. I don't know whether flushing really improves the taste of bud, I don't know if molasses makes the buds bigger, I don't know if darkness before harvest enhances THC...

Let's just all try and get along--Tis the season to be jolly:48:

I agree whole heartedly THG, plants need what they need, never up for debate much anymore. for what we grow the rules do fit. I mean in "tweaking" tweaking the grow is where it becomes personal and individual :) I been yelled at to not use mollassas in my compost becuase it does no good..me on the other hand found that it is better :) This I don't think is a "common growing rule thread" but more of a tweaking thread where everyone puts in there input :)
Oh legalize don't worry bro my panties don't get wadded easy ;) I like a good topic and this one def. peaks my interest as being a vert grower its valuable info for me :) 99% of the growers online use horiz. not many use vert. So any input is great :D Thanks for this thread Zem :) you did ask personal experiences as well as scientific info. ;)
what i and other growers would like to know is what the effect of rotating a plant has if done manually several days apart during flowering? does anyone have info about this? sources or links? do you rotate your plants during flowering? or not? if you do when, how, why, or why not??

Mutt,

When you use vertical HID lights, how do you do it, just hang the bare bulb/socket assembly and then arrange the plants in a circle around it?

Most of my lights are vertical within a horizontal reflector.

Good Smoking.

The Hemp Goddess said:
I believe that we all rely on "scientific evidence"to some extent--there is no reason to reinvent the wheel. There are some things that we KNOW--that science has basically "proven" (okay, yeah, yeah, I know science never really proves anything). However, I feel no need to try any other light schedule than 12/12 for flowering. Controlled studies have been done and we know that this is the best light schedule to flower (non-autos). Studies have shown that other light schedules produce less THC. Other studies have been done...I know that nutrients are only available to plants at certain pH levels. I know that marijuana needs certain temperature ranges to survive. I know that a plant needs fan leaves to produce bud...

I don't know if plants suffer if you rotate them. I don't know whether flushing really improves the taste of bud, I don't know if molasses makes the buds bigger, I don't know if darkness before harvest enhances THC...

Let's just all try and get along--Tis the season to be jolly:48:

AMEN GIRL! PC Duck...I want you to know that I have no hard feelings toward you, I have usually agreed with you on things, and genuinely enjoy your company on here! I sincerely hope that this differnce of oppinions, has not created any animosity between us, it was never my intent to do so. If my statements offended you in anyway I'm sorry.

I don't know what was said by leafminer, or any other posts that were put up here yesterday that were deleted, but I have faith in our MODS, and I'm sure they were doing what they saw fit. I was out most of the day, came back last night, and realized that the post I had put up was childish, backbiting. So I removed it. If this little swerve off the path of the original topic, or anything I said offended anyone I'm sorry, that was not my intent.

My intent is to grow the best weed that I possably can, and to help others do the same when I can. I don't know everything, but I'm also not some newbie to this either. I get bothered when oppinions are stated as facts, because things are confusing enough for new growers. Especially when some of the oppinions just have no fact based reasoning. I love this site...it has really kept me from being waaaay too bored during this lay-off. I'm sure I'm anoying to some, because I am on here alot. I'm not going to appologize for that...if I annoy someone, they can use the ignore button. Hopefully we can all use this thread to our benefit in one way or another. Again I'm sorry for any offense that I caused, and for the sidetracking of the original post.:peace:

DonJones said:
Mutt,

When you use vertical HID lights, how do you do it, just hang the bare bulb/socket assembly and then arrange the plants in a circle around it?

yep with a fan blowing directly up with a squirrel cage above. Then on either side 2 42w soft white cfls one day when i decide the spend the bucks i want a cool tube vert with both HPS and MH.....one day. ya HEAR ME SANTA :p

Thanks Mutt.

Something that I saw recommended was hanging HO T-5s down through the canopy if you can find a way to prevent electrical problems from the moisture. Haven't tried it though.

Personally I would use t-5s rather than CFLs unless you can use enough of them to light up the outside all the way around instead of just on 2 sides.

Just curious, why cool white when they have those daylight tubes now that nearly duplicate the sun's natural spectrum?

Thanks again for the post.

Good smoking

I run a 400w MH vert. but on either end of the closet is a shadowed place bad....so I hung a T-socket with 2 CFLs over on the ends where the main bulb light don't quite make it. I use 2800Kelvin CFLs as my MH has very little yellow. MH is like those "daylight" CFLs adding yellow is not a bad thing.
As far as the cool tube...its a tube reflector that the HID bulb slips into air keeps it cooler through the tube so you can get the plants closer to the bulb. The reason why i want both MH and HPS is for complete spectrum.

I always thought the warm white had more red and yellow spectrum than cool white.

Then just about the time I kind of understood what the various names implied, they went out and invented a whole new list of names to learn and understand. It is too bad that they don't list the color temperature right on the glass of every floro.

Now I understand your only using 2 CFLs instead of putting them all around your area.

I agree about the need for a mixture of MH and HPS especially during flowering/budding. That is the only difference between my operation and my son's --until just recently I had only MH in both rooms and he uses a mixutre in his flowering room -- and he consistently out performs me. I'm slowly but surely adding HPS to my room. Either that or I'm going to add T-5s with the same color temp as the HPS.

I'm considering running a row of T-5s around the room about 2' to 3' above the floor and maybe hanging some down in the middle of the room to improve lower plant lighting without taking a chance on burning them with HIDs too close to the plants.

Thanks again for sharing your knowledge and explaining why you do it your way.

Good smoking

Okay in my first grow(i wanted to experiment cuz i found a seed in my bud so i just used 3 cfl's to grow 1 sativa dom plant, dont bash me on this i did not plant on producing anything good)
when i put the plant in the sun it would always bend towards the sun so i would rotate it to keep it straight. now i have seen in medical grow ops that they use rotating lights that actually spin in cirlces around the plants quite quickly, and the guy was explaining that this was really good. any thoughts?

sounds interesting...do you have a link to these grows, or this info? I would like to check it out. I know alot of people use a light mover to be sure all plants are getting the same amount of light, but I've never seen one that moves around the plants at a fast rate.

Latest posts

Back