Produce Purple Buds

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jnyce1320

Reaction score
Is it true that keeping plants a little further from the light source and keeping grow area temps very cool can produce purple buds/leaves

YES AND NO...

Keeping buds farther from the light will cause no purpling, but if your strain has the trait then colder temps around the end of flowering, when you are flushing should bring out the colour, but the most important thing is that the strain has to have that recessive trait.

real deal purple strains, shouldn't have to have anything done to them in order to have them change colour, except to wait until they mature, but a lot of people on this forum do not let there plants actually finish maturing.

Another thing that helps is to limit the plants waterings late in flowering as this helps to break down the chlorophyll

I was curious, I am growing white berry, (in hydro) it started to turn purple,
in week 7-8 I harvested,and after drying they didn't look so purple. maybe to soon?

I have 5 clones doing just wonderful in their 2nd week of 12/12 and they are covered with flowers!

my harvest of white berry cured to smell and taste like raspberry jam. nice nice buzz ,, but I think I maybe should push it an extra week?

I have also added floralicious plus and liquid koolbloom to my plants diet this time around. hope to see an improvement.

Ilikebigbuds said:
I was curious, I am growing white berry, (in hydro) it started to turn purple,
in week 7-8 I harvested,and after drying they didn't look so purple. maybe to soon?

I have 5 clones doing just wonderful in their 2nd week of 12/12 and they are covered with flowers!

my harvest of white berry cured to smell and taste like raspberry jam. nice nice buzz ,, but I think I maybe should push it an extra week?

I have also added floralicious plus and liquid koolbloom to my plants diet this time around. hope to see an improvement.

Did you check the trichs with a microscope before you harvested? Or did you kind of go with the breeder's flowering time, or do you have some other method of deciding when to harvest? IMO, the best way to tell if your girls are ready is to check the trichs with a microscope. When you harvest kind of depends on what kind of high you want. When my girls are getting close, I get so excited. I check the trichs in the morning when the lights come on and in the evening before the lights go out. And then when I think they are getting real close to just right, I cut a "test bud". I live in an arid cvlimate and the buds dry fast. They aren't as smooth as the buds you cure, but it gives you an idea if they are ready. I like a bit more of an up high, so I harvest before I have too many amber trichs.

If it tasted great and was a nice buzz, you should have no complaints. Some people harvest in stages, harvesting the top 1/3 of the plant and then in a week or so, harvest half of what is left and in another week, finishing the harvest. This way it gives some of the lower buds that haven't gotten as much light to be at the top of the canopy.

Ultimately, when to harvest can be a subject of much discussion, but pretty much boils down to personal preference and is kind of trial and error. I am not a fan of real "couch-lock" stuff, so tend to harvest earlier than some.

yea, hemp Goddess, I like what you said.

I do use a micro scope, I also prefer the more up high, I harvested when
50/50 with last harvest,

decided to experiment with this, I have smoked some with the trichs all milky, no amber, very mild high lasts about 1 hour,

5 days later I have tested with trichs milky and 1 in 5 amber, much nicer buzz but still only lasts about an hour, will test again when trichs are more amber.

oh, this test is with some Ice cream that is very close:woohoo:

I figure what better way for me to know, then to test for myself.

always works for me; life is an experience not a condition ya know, some times you just have to check it out for your self;
only you know what best for you.

life, you gotta love it!

Ilikebigbuds: what strain are you harvesting at 7 weeks?

IMO breeders may claim harvest times of 7-8 weeks but this is most likely under ideal conditions with CO2 supplementation. If a breed says 8 weeks its most likely 10 if they say 10 its probably 12 only way to know for sure is to check the trichs.

Latest posts

Back