Pros&Cons of Seeds vs. Clones

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And yess, thatnks Hick, for the "hairsplitting" correction - I probably did not
describe my intended method well enough - I did mean Sea of Green with
many small plants next to one another, rather than bending or trimming larger plants. Thus no screen intended there, although I would like to try that
:)... I wasn't confused by your sog description '77.
Root veg and flower.. in small spaces with size restriction, clones are superior.. IMHO. You can flower at any size, as long as they are rooted.
and in your case, and for a sog, recommended clones.
As for choosing your mother/donor,.."I" prefer to flower the plants frrom seed, as NCH recommends. And choose my donor by watching the plant from seed AND sampling the "final product". Then retaining one of the preferred plants clones as the "keeper/mother".

i have only grown from seed... so my opinion is bias.. i found it really easy to do...

thing is, it is 4 months from seed to harvest usually, and about 3 for clone to harvest... i imagine that if you vegged that clone for an extra month (to catch up with the seed) it would produce a very similar yield...

i also like the seed idea because of the following reasons

a) you can transport seeds
b) you KNOW your strain (assuming it isnt bagseed)

curiouscat420 said:
b) you KNOW your strain (assuming it isnt bagseed)

What I have found over the years is even when you get 10 seeds from a reputable seed bank, there are still going to be variations of that strain.
The 10 seeds are the same strain, known as a "genotype" (spelling??)
The variations of the "genotype" are whats known as a "phenotype".

Finding the phenotype you want and preserving it is what it's all about for me. That is the key in finding true "dank".

You have to realize too that the phenotype I choose out of the 10 might be different in the pheno you choose. It is all personal preferance. There is no correct "pheno", it's the characteristics you find apealing that make it unique.

Each of the Phenotypes, though similar, will have many differences about them. Some big, some not. A big one is flower time. Even though they are the same "strain", some will flower faster then others, at least that has been my experience.

When you are working with a chosen "phenotype", that means you have chosen a mother and take cuttings and flower those out. To me, that is when you truly know your "strain".

Sorry for the ramblings...

I was impressed with the BC mango from BC seedking. Awesome looking sugary crystal coated buds with the smell that reminded me of a fruit market. yummmm. Great effect also.

NorCalHal... your words are that of an experienced grower... :D

Seed Pro: You have the choice of any strain available. No one learns that you're growing (assuming you deal anonymously with the seed bank)

Clone Pro: You save time, if you're rushing to flower. You get better genetics (assuming the clone bank chose their mother out of a large batch of seeds, or have the original genetics). Less expensive.

Clone Con: You have to deal face to face, so someone knows you grow. In comparison, there is usually a very limited selection of strains.

:)

blancolighter said:
PapaTilt, and NewbieG, are you and papatilt the "stay on topic police" or somethin?? I was addressing the not so correct info presented after the main post, or am I only allowed to answer the first posting?

Also, seed or clone, not a no brainer, AUTOFLOWERING plants are something to consider here. They grow from seed and finish in a relatively short time, stay a managable size, and you don't have to go to the trouble of keeping a mother plant around, so thats another reasonable option to look into. In fact, if this person doesn't have the room for a mother, it would be a great route to go.

How about next time instead of dissing on how I didn't post addressing the original question, you actually put forward some good information on the topic instead. Sure I may have been off track a bit, but I gave some actual info regarding clones, that shoot, maybe someone gained from. What did you contribute besides the comment "Clones Kill Seed. No Comparison", when in fact, I would say autoflowering seeds would be a great alternative to clones in his situation, especially when he said he had trouble getting clones to root before, but apparently has had success with seeds.

EDITED

As far as your auto flower statement its still an inferior choice. You get more choices, higher yield per plant, you could even get faster harvests if you use a fast flowering strain like AK's... Spitting out key words liek "autos" and "gene pool" does not mean your presenting information... I realize you got a better rep here, but my point is none the less valid. do to my rep what you'd like.

:holysheep: :argue: :chillpill: :48:
Check resources section for good cloning advice.
Dare'nt post anything else lol

Sorry man, I did that in a huff and meant to fix it, here's your rep back... Quittin smokins a *****, just got pissed.

Its all about presenting this guy with info and options man. Knowledge is one of the most valuable tools in what we do, and since knowledge is such a valuable tool, I'm glad I posted all I did :D

Hick said:
hmmm.. at risk of being accused of "splittiing hairs".. a sog does not employ a "screen" ..;) that would be termed sCrog I think....and I think you "assume" too much.

Sorry if I come off hard, Im just a to the point kind of guy, and yes, you are splitting hairs about the scrog, sog.
I understand there are all phases of growers here, I have read through a lot of the threads, and it seems that newbs are answering for the newbs, and some of the resolutions I read make me chuckle. Im not seeing the voice of experience jumping in and straitening out the newbs.
I dont meant to knock your forum, I understand this is your house and you take what I say personally, but sometimes it takes an outsider to see things that can make things better.

Typical post:
I'm having a problem with my plant, its three feet tall, its laying on the ground, and it only has one set of leaves, I dont understand whats wrong, Im even using a 100 watt light bulb.

Answer:
Dear stretch, I had the same problem, what I did was hang Christmas lights over my plant, and used thread to tie up the plant to keep it out of the mud.
Its been a month and the plant has grown another foot and I think that the leaves got a little bigger. They are so pretty with the nice yellow color they are getting

and thats how the thread ends

I been doing this almost 38 years and Im lovin every minute of it.
I cant start a grow until mid june because Im going away for the first two weeks of june and I wouldnt be able to walk off on them, I hate waiting.
Im smoking a real good mids right now but it doesent come close to a nice bowl of white widow.

Im stoned to the bone and rambling which is what I do most of the time, but hey, life is good

Im just a to the point kind of guy

lol, not tryin to bash ya or anything, but it was just kinda funny to see in front of a rambling post... :D

Edit: Deleted my post so not to lower myself and bring anymore negativity to this forum

NorCalHal, thanks for the detailed step by step. It does sound like a serious
job onto itself, indeed! From your description of the process i would think it
is from six to eight months before you "know the mother" as you said.
Does it sound about right?

You're right, King Bud, I didn't consider the anonymity aspect of the
deal with clones...
I guess I will start from seed as before, but this time will have some patience to
select a mother for the keeping.
Thanks for advice:)

afghani77 said:
NorCalHal, thanks for the detailed step by step. It does sound like a serious
job onto itself, indeed! From your description of the process i would think it
is from six to eight months before you "know the mother" as you said.
Does it sound about right?

Yes sir, it takes time and effort to "weed" out bad phenos and pick viable ones.

Latest posts

Back