Question on tent grow light pollution..

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikem417

Reaction score
I’m running my first grow, doing autoflowers so I know they aren’t as sensitive to light, but I plan on doing photo period next. My question is.. when in the dark cycle, will the display lights on my timers, humidifiers, dehumidifiers and digital regulators put off enough light to cause harm? I know an easy fix is a piece of tape over them, was more just curious if this is enough light to be harmful.

I’m also curious as to watering, I have about an 1” of top soil growth on all my plants. I didn’t pre soak my soil, so I’ve just been gently misting the top soil in a circle motion around the sprouts several times a day as the soil drys out, and also lightly saturating the surrounding soil to the edge of the 5 gallon smart pots.. when should I try to give a good heavy watering to the soil.. I’m terrified of drowning out the fragile roots, but also can’t make it home several times to water each day.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated by this first time medical grower

Hi Mike

Yes the display lights can effect your photo-period...as little as 1/2 candle power 5 nights in a row can trigger vegetative stage again.Your correct in placing dark tape over them. If you need to work in your grow room after lights off....use a green light ...green light is reflected by the plant and does not effect the photo-period. I would recommend watering the whole smart pot....very hard to over water in them. Just do not allow standing water in your catch pans longer than 1 hour...pour it off if still remaining. Watering depends heavily on your set up...lights...temperature...humidity...plant size and air flow all effect the water intake. I use the 1 inch rule....if the soil is dry an inch deep in the pot ...I water. Hope this helps...Good Luck with your new hobby !

I have a green light that I used my last grow as I had read that plants don’t see it and it won’t adversely affect the flowering cycle. That grow appears to have hermied. I have seedy buds. I am not positive that is the culprit as I also had some small pin prick holes from my meddling, infernal cats in the tent that could have allowed light pollution or possibly some turd pollinated them for me either to be a turd or inadvertently. Regardless of why it happened, I will not take a chance with the green light again and have repaired the pin holes...

Latest posts

Back