Questions about CFLs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Killuminati420

PNW Oil Tycoon
Reaction score
ive never use CFLs before, dont know where to buy them or what ones to buy. i have to get UV specific CFLs or what?

look on the packages they have a number thats a kelvin ratting. most bulbs ya get at wal mart even. the ones you want for veg stage are 6500k , they giive off a white lite more. and get the 2700k for flowering. they ya basic yellow lookin lites.
don't worry bout UV anything man.

If $$ isn't an issue I'd go with T-5's they give off the most lumens per sq/ft as far as floresents go! And like Zip said 6500k is best for veg and the 2700k is best for flowering, but I'd go to HPS when flowering for best results!

I use a 5000k cfl and it worked great for me.its 105watts and 6500lumis,it says its equal to 400watts of light.made my plant go wild ..
thanks
oneshot

Be aware that the equivalent wattage on a CFL does not mean anything when we are talking about growing. A 105 watt CFL is a 105W light. Period.

Also, when figuring light needs, you need to figure 5000 lumens per sq ft.--wattage is really an immaterial number. I agree with phatpharmer that you should look into T5s. A 54W tube puts out 5000 lumens.

T5 definately worth the investment. The cost to run them is really reasonable. I think mine only put on $30 extra on the electric bill. I also vedged and flowered to finish under it last winter. I highly recomend the T5 unit.

If you can't fit a T5 setup..try 1000bulbs dot com. they have a whole assortment of CFL's and cheap. They sent me a defective one within 2 days a new one was at the door without having to send the old one back. just emailed in a pic of the defect and they were good about it. Shipping was cheap and gave discounts on bulk sales.
You can get CFL's at wal-mart and such but harder to find the bigger CFL's and when you do online was stil cheaper.

I'd get a couple of 2800kelvin (soft white) and 5600+ Kelvin (cool white, daylight spectrum) bulbs.
but honestly why bother when you can get a 70w HPS or MH at lowes for 50 bucks right now. Just picked up a lithonia lighting brand pole light for a comp case i'm building and had a bunch on sale. ;)

theres no lowes close to where i live :(, but ya this thread is kinda old. ive got 4 150w CFLs since along with 2 2' T5s...things are goin good

Latest posts

Back