Quick question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CFLgrower

Reaction score
I have a plant from some good bagseed I'm growing that just won't show sex. Born in flower (about 6 wks old), with alternating nodes but no clear cut signs of sex (no male parts forming anywhere as I checked this plant over top to bottom) I've had 2-3 males show themselves in the same timeframe and they're already out of the room, but this one just won't show.

Is it more likely that it'll be female that it's taking so long or just wishful thinking on my part?

I'll try to get some pics up in a couple of days if it still hasn't showed and see what you guys think.

yeah .. with my experience normally males show first .. however that's not always the case. is your grow area completely light proof on the night cycle? Cause if not this could delay flowering.

From what i can tell you must of started this grow on 12/12 from seed?

This can also delay flowering. Not having a timer and having an almost 12/12 cycle can delay flowering.

give it some time.. it should show.

Not having a timer and having an almost 12/12 cycle can delay flowering.
WnB, where did you get this info? I'd have to disagree. I think "about" 12/12 won't hurt a thing. The suns not on a timer and plants do fine.

thanks guys, yeah it's completely light proof I've checked that to make sure after the males showed.

12/12 from seed, I'm a little short of room for seperate areas right now so everything in there is under 12/12 lighting, seems to work just fine for my purposes.

I'll keep checking and hopefully it'll be a she...

bombbudpuffa said:
WnB, where did you get this info? I'd have to disagree. I think "about" 12/12 won't hurt a thing. The suns not on a timer and plants do fine.

Sun is on a timer. Look at "daylite" hours in the day in spring/summer and compare to fall. The sun is on the perfect timer....mother nature. We just try to replicate in an indoor environment. Only after a certain amount of darkness does the plant "recognize" it's time to switch to flower.
So Mr. Wakeenbake is correct, anytime we mess with the "natural order" of things, the plant will re-act accordingly. That is why hermies appear when the photoperiod is altered. It is the plants natural response to abnormal stress and trying to protect itself by creating selfed seeds for procreation. Mother nature is on a balance. a perfect balance. If the Earth shifted a tiny bit off its ellipse the entire eco-system would be completely altered and possibly destroy most life.

but...if there are no light leaks or anything, some strains just like to be hard headed and test your patience. :p

Mutt said:
Sun is on a timer. Look at "daylite" hours in the day in spring/summer and compare to fall. The sun is on the perfect timer....mother nature. We just try to replicate in an indoor environment. Only after a certain amount of darkness does the plant "recognize" it's time to switch to flower.
So Mr. Wakeenbake is correct, anytime we mess with the "natural order" of things, the plant will re-act accordingly. That is why hermies appear when the photoperiod is altered. It is the plants natural response to abnormal stress and trying to protect itself by creating selfed seeds for procreation. Mother nature is on a balance. a perfect balance. If the Earth shifted a tiny bit off its ellipse the entire eco-system would be completely altered and possibly destroy most life.

but...if there are no light leaks or anything, some strains just like to be hard headed and test your patience. :p
One light I have in my flower room isn't on a timer so I have to turn it on and off manually. It doesn't come on or go off at the same time each day for this reason. I haven't had any ill effects from it:).
The sun is on the perfect timer....mother nature
This isn't an exact timer but an about. Meaning, it doesn't get dark exactly the same time every day but about or around the same time.

Latest posts

Back