Random Curiosity Question...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm definitely on the lazier side of that. I tend to follow the KISS theory in life, and growing will be no different, I don't think. I'm a cherry-boy at it, and I just need to find that sweet spot between personal effort and yield/potency to suit my minimal needs. An 1/8th oz of weed lasts me literally months, so I don't need 1 ounce buds - but I like sticky, skunky smoke and a good head buzz when I do smoke.

I'm still absorbing things. When I signed on here a few months ago, I had no idea the level of tech involved in growing, for but one example of my ignorance on the subject. I plan to grow indoors only, with, I think, a preference for Indica. Maybe by early next year I'll have my medium relatively determined, my grow area set up, and some bb's. (See? I'm learning the lingo! LOL)

I do greatly appreciate the vast knowledge of those here who offer their input for everyone.
To date, I have grown only five plants from seed. I started with liquid salts (GH's Flora Series) in a 3 gallon, moved to a 5 gallon for the next plant and a 7 gallon after that. Yields ranged from 4 ozs to 10 ozs, with decent potency.

After realizing that I needed to dump all that work, I moved to Coast of Maine's Stonington Blend and their organics line of nutes in a 10 gallon pot. I harvested 18 ozs of top shelf Skywalker OG, so Stonington (and the larger pot) literally changed everything for me and all I did was water and occasionally top dress.

Attachments

• 20230815_093810.jpg
    20230815_093810.jpg
    6.7 MB · Views: 0
To date, I have grown only five plants from seed. I started with liquid salts (GH's Flora Series) in a 3 gallon, moved to a 5 gallon for the next plant and a 7 gallon after that. Yields ranged from 4 ozs to 10 ozs, with decent potency.

After realizing that I needed to dump all that work, I moved to Coast of Maine's Stonington Blend and their organics line of nutes in a 10 gallon pot. I harvested 18 ozs of top shelf Skywalker OG, so Stonington (and the larger pot) literally changed everything for me and all I did was water and occasionally top dress.
I have a somewhat disabled pair of pretty girls that smell awesome, in a ten gallon pot. No tent. I have them on a small platform on 4" casters so I can move it around to get as much sunlight as possible. I've trimmed them wrong - done just about everything wrong, but I still have some buds coming. Only three leaves on every stem - I hear that's due to stress, but the leaves look healthy thus far.

I need to figure training out, and proper topping, lollipopping, and defoliating and such routine maintenance things, along with food for them. I'll never get to the level of the folks here, but I should be able to eventually roll up some good ganja for myself.

I have a somewhat disabled pair of pretty girls that smell awesome, in a ten gallon pot. No tent. I have them on a small platform on 4" casters so I can move it around to get as much sunlight as possible. I've trimmed them wrong - done just about everything wrong, but I still have some buds coming. Only three leaves on every stem - I hear that's due to stress, but the leaves look healthy thus far.

I need to figure training out, and proper topping, lollipopping, and defoliating and such routine maintenance things, along with food for them. I'll never get to the level of the folks here, but I should be able to eventually roll up some good ganja for myself.
Yes, you need to develop skills that will guide you properly and people here can definitely help you get to where you need to be. All of those techniques are relatively easy to master...you just have to decide which way to grow. Organic living soil broke the ceiling for me so that's where I'm staying despite the fact that a bag of Stonington has increased in price by about $15/bag since last year.

I'm not a fan of defoliation, I'd rather tuck, hide, rearrange, vs remove, but when you're ready to top, train and lollipop, give me a shout and I'll be happy to guide you step by step.

To clarify; I grow R-DWC hydro inside, and outside I till in a bunch of my mulch and put plants that I've started indoors outside. I don't water them unless its been a real dry spell, and when they start their flower cycle, I top dress with ash when I have it, or bone meal when I don't. Strictly chemicals inside, and strictly organic outside.

nice work there dave...

Plants are classified as autotrophs - they feed themselves, and yet I find that most growers fall into one of two types: 1) control freaks or 2) lazy bastards.

Control freaks follow a complex process of feeding, measuring, metering and logging. They use non traditional growing "mediums" like Coir, peat, rockwool or just water. Lazy bastards like me, just like watering the soil, so we use organics and living soil to make sure our autotroph has everything it needs.

Which category of grower do you fit into?
Control bastard

I guess the Old Hen isn't growing the right kind of hostas. We've got an easy dozen deer that hang around the ranch and they've never bothered 'em. Could be all the corn we feed 'em......

I guess the Old Hen isn't growing the right kind of hostas. We've got an easy dozen deer that hang around the ranch and they've never bothered 'em. Could be all the corn we feed 'em......
I just gave up on hostas. And roses. And anything pretty. Or green. They're thick as thieves around here.

They recognize the change in light as soon as it happens.
That triggers a hormonal response that initiates the flowering cycle which takes a few days to physically express.
I know this an old post but as I paddle thru posts, I always learn something new in life.
I always wondered why some folks are hormonal and crabby in the morning.
Must be the light. ☝️

…Which category of grower do you fit into?
I would say control freak outside, as much as I can be. I’m on a schedule for nutrients, water, and the soil is the same compost year after year. So I control what I’m able. I have a bad habit of overwatering, so keeping a schedule is important to me. I do notice the plants always perk up after a rain, so I believe I’m on the right path with my overwatering habits.

I wonder how many cutlets one would get from one of those.
I would need another freezer.
And he does not seem agreeable.

Latest posts

Back