Rookie closet test grow

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dubblehue

Reaction score
Alright. So I've got my very first ever indoor grow going. I've grown outdoors a few times and have had very encouraging results so I figured why not give indoors a shot. It's kinda a "test" grow, I have no expectations, and I'm doing it VERY modestly. Put into soil from germinated seeds on October 26th, and culled down from 12 plants, I've now got six plants going, all in MG potting mix in these cups, they're like 5" I think. They are all random bagseed trees. Alright. So they drink only Poland Spring water, and they've never tasted any other nutes that whatever is in this MG potting mix. It seems I am watering them almost every day, and when I am late with the feeding they decide to droop and sag until I quench their thirst. must be the potting mix. I will transplant into bigger pots soon. OK, lights. I said this was a VERY modest grow, and my lighting does evidence this. I have this single 24" floro grow like looking thing tube a friend gave me. It's kinda bluish light. I have no idea what wattage it is. It does not say on the bulb. I also have two CFL's 42 watts, and some 75 watt GE bulb that says GRO on it that I found in my parents garage. I figure that when I am ready to start flowering, if I want any success, I need upgrade my lights. So check out pics of two of the plants that have the most vegitation. I have very limited space, so I'm thinking of getting rid of the weaker plants, and upgrading lights to some serious CFL action and pushing these two. Should I let them veg another month, or are they ready to try and send into flower?

DSCF0051fixed.jpg

well i know what light your talking about(the GE one). and it wont work :d it just create's heat. i'd advise not to use it.

also you should get some cfl's (daylight) 6500k. for veg.

Good Luck.... First thing I would do would transplant those babies. It just me but I would recommend a soiless mix that way YOU control the nuts I use promix It is so much easier drains very well. You never mentioned how much space your dealing with? Any ways keep on posting your progress I am looking forward to see how it works out with the flo's.

ya bro, transplant those into sum sunshine mix and get yourself a higher watt cfl. I bought a 200watt cfl and it was very bright, only used it for clones though.

Yeah I saw a set up that I'm going to go with, it was a 3 socket bathroom fixture, that had one of those Y adapters for two bulbs in each socket. I plan on putting the biggest CFL I can find into each one of those Y adapter sockets. I think that would do the trick. Grow space is about 36" x 18" x as tall as i need it to be.

How big should I go with the transplant pots, all the way big to like 3 gallon buckets?

I tried hard not to hate. Did I come off that way? The MG's been fine to me so far, my plants ARE growing.

no no you did'nt hate. jsut most people dislike MG and i dont understand why... it's easy to control the continuouse release of nute's.

Iv never tried the mg soil b4. Iv nevereven herd of it. Ya iv seen ppl use those y sockets and work. I think I paid like 130$ for the 200watt.

130's not bad. What are the lumens that lamp throws, do yuo know? Price is about the same as a 250 hps and ballast, and easier to acquire. MG is Miracle Gro dude, surely you've heard of Miracle Gro....

oh ya mg. LOL. Umm can't remember thelumens but it was a future harvest development brand. Maybe you can find info online. I liked it cuz it threw lots of light but no heat. It's broken now so I'm using a 400watt mh, but for what u need I think it would work well.

I Gota start a journal on here soon. Maybe this winter. Sorry if my typing isn't that good, I'm on my iPhone and it's a pain in the ***. I'm just too lazy to go to the Pc. LOL

Are you giving your plants any vitaminwater? If so do thay prefer grape or orange?

JK

desertsead said:
Are you giving your plants any vitaminwater? If so do thay prefer grape or orange?

JK

that would be novel, anyone else heard of feeding plants V/W?

So I transplanted into bigger pots, and upgraded lights to 4 45watt CFL's the 200 watt equivalents. Noticing some substantial increase in veg...about an inch a day in height. I don't have a lot of space for another two feet in height....they are about 45 days old....can I switch to 12/12 and induce flowering to help keep the growth under control, or are they going to grow even bigger in flowering?

dubblehue said:
Yeah I saw a set up that I'm going to go with, it was a 3 socket bathroom fixture, that had one of those Y adapters for two bulbs in each socket. I plan on putting the biggest CFL I can find into each one of those Y adapter sockets. I think that would do the trick. Grow space is about 36" x 18" x as tall as i need it to be.

How big should I go with the transplant pots, all the way big to like 3 gallon buckets?

you got the same size closet as me, finally, I would like to see how yours turns out. Whats are your plans for upgrades after the cfl grow? We got about 4.5 square feet to work with, a 150 watt hps would probably be good enough but a 250 would be better for three plants in three gallon pots and the air will still flow. How are you gonna vent?

So here's how we're lookin today. Lights are up about 3" from the highest plant, taking growth into consideration. One still needs to be transplanted.

photo.jpg

I added two 70 watt HPS overhead on Sunday, and moved the CFL's to side lighting. They're doing great. I bent that indica looking plant over, trying some LST, and all the nodes along the stalk have turned up and bushy-ed up. :) I'll get some pics as soon as I get a new digi...mine crapped out, and the HPS ballasts mess with the camera on my iPhone...too risky. This weekend will mark 60 days. as well. gonna hit them with 36 hrs dark, then Sunday will start 12/12.

OK so I took some pics with the iPhone. here they are. I know they suck. But check out the growth since the last pics

withnewlights1.jpg

withnewlights2.jpg

So it's been a little while and I've made a few adjustments. First three of the 4 turned out to be male. The female was the one I bent. Pictures attached.
About three weeks into flower. I think the pot is between 3-5 gallons and I put her into some Gardener's Gold organic soil. got my self an nice emergency blanket, and a 250 watt HPS. The HPS just came today!:headbang2: The burn on the leaves in the photo are from touching the cfls I had before the new light came. On the celing in the closet is a door to attic space where I've positioned an little window exhaust type can and slid the door back against it to seal the gap for ventilation. First week of flower she got only regular water, and starting week 2 I've been hitting her with some uber-nOOb Shultz 10-54-10 super bloom every three days. I think that she's looking great.

250hps.jpg

photo.jpg

Latest posts

Back