Should roots be submerged?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KP419

Reaction score
Should my plants roots be submerged under the water in my 5gal DWC buckets? Or should the tips of the roots be just above the water line?

I would think that DWC they would be under the water..:hubba:

I am wondering how ya are gonna stop them:)

When I have new transplants, my water level is at the bottom of the net pots. Once the roots have grown and reached that water level I will lower it to 3 gallons

not sure but from what i have read they should be half and half part in the water with bubbles and part out of the water so they can breath i thnk but i could be wrong:D

they make 3gal buckets as well. i bought both 3gal & 5gal. when they are small i use the 3gal. i switch them to 5gal buckets when flowering begins. filling a 5gal bucket to the bottom of a 6" bucket pot makes the bucket very very heavy and hard to work with. just a little food for thought. its only like 4$ per 3gal so imo its a good investment. if you buy them, make sure u get 3gal buckets that are the same circumference as the 5gal. you want the bucket net pots to fit.

if your nute solution is airated well enough u could keep the water level to the bottom of the net pot the whole time. its tough to do that though, unless you have a schedule to keep the water level at that spot. in flowering, a 3-4' plant will suck up 1/3 to more then half the bucket in a few days. depending on the RH in your room.

i currently have 2 plants 5-6' tall, about 6 weeks into flowering. i have to top off my 18gal res every 3 days, with about 5-7 gal of water. my rh is a constant 40%.

I do much like pcduck. You can use a battery operated transfer pump if the buckets are too heavy, although 3 gal of water only weights 25 lbs. I run my water level so about 1/2 the roots are submerged.

I was doing what pcduck and hemp goddess are talking about but was just making sure I was doing this correctly. Thanks for the info everyone.

Latest posts

Back