Spidermites. No more Mr. Nice guy.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sinisterhand

Shut up and drive.
Reaction score
Help. I have used every organic cure I can find. Now it"s time for systemic poisons. Do you have any suggestions? I am in veg, indoor.

I fought the culprits for a cpl of months with all sorts of suggested "remedies". AVID eliminated them post haste, but "read the label and heed the warnings" it is pretty toxic STUFF..;)

Very toxic. 20 drops per gallon, and high pressure misted starting from the bottom of the plant and thoughly wetting the undersides of all the veg material.

Becareful of where and how you get rid of the extra too. Avid, once mixed, is only good for 24 hours or so.

NorCalHal said:
Very toxic. 20 drops per gallon, and high pressure misted starting from the bottom of the plant and thoughly wetting the undersides of all the veg material.

Becareful of where and how you get rid of the extra too. Avid, once mixed, is only good for 24 hours or so.

Yes! Discard any mixed up Avid if you don't plan on using it within a day. Use 5 drops per quart if you have a small grow room. If you use an old batch the mites can then be more easily able to build up an immunity to Avid... and THEN what are you gonna do? Yikes! :rolleyes:

I also don't think there is any benefit to leaving it on the plants until dry. I haven't had to use Avid in over 5+ years fortunately but when I did I would thoroughly spray down my plants and let it sit on the leaves for a few minutes and then I would spray my plants well with water to wash away the residual Avid. From my understanding the Avid kills mites on contact so probably after a few seconds it's done it's deed...

Good Luck!:cool:

I had put some small stones on the top of my soil to help with humidity and also so the water didn't mess up the soil when I poured it into the pot, the other day when I pulled a couple of males I noticed that the spidermites had been living in the rocks, alot of them, I have since removed all rocks and haven't seen any more signs of them.I will never cover my soil with with anything again.

frankcos said:
I had put some small stones on the top of my soil to help with humidity and also so the water didn't mess up the soil when I poured it into the pot, the other day when I pulled a couple of males I noticed that the spidermites had been living in the rocks, alot of them, I have since removed all rocks and haven't seen any more signs of them.I will never cover my soil with with anything again.
hmmmm.. Are you 'positive' that what you saw were mites?..'cause mites, primarily, don't live in the soil, nor on rocks.

I'm with Hick--not only do mites not live on the soil or rocks, but they are so small as to almost microscopic. Also if removing the rocks got rid of them, they were almost certainly not spider mites. Spider mites are some of the toughest things to get rid of that there are.

I have never washed off the avid from plants once I applied. I do only use it during the Veg stage. The way I understood that Avid worked was thru time, not instant death.
So..you got me thinkin' dirty, and here is some info form the folks at Avid.

Avid® , the number one insecticide for mites and leaf miners, has expanded its labeling to include suppression of aphids, thrips, and whiteflies. As the most widely used miticide/insecticide for ornamentals, growers continue to rely on Avid for unsurpassed protection against mites and leaf miners. With its reputation for quality control, Avid is also the miticide/insecticide of choice for nursery and landscape professionals. Its unique chemistry and mode of action make it an ideal product for rotation in resistance management programs.

Mode of Action

Stimulates the release of Gamma amino butyric acid (GABA), which causes insect paralysis soon after ingestion. Within hours of exposure, feeding and damage to the plant stops, but death may take up to 2-4 days. Different from conventional insecticide/miticides; effectively controls susceptible and resistant mites and leafminers

From the above read, that tells me to leave it on, as the little critters are still alive, just not kickin'.

Oh ya...mites don't live on rocks man.

NorCalHal said:
I have never washed off the avid from plants once I applied. I do only use it during the Veg stage. The way I understood that Avid worked was thru time, not instant death.
So..you got me thinkin' dirty, and here is some info form the folks at Avid.

Avid® , the number one insecticide for mites and leaf miners, has expanded its labeling to include suppression of aphids, thrips, and whiteflies. As the most widely used miticide/insecticide for ornamentals, growers continue to rely on Avid for unsurpassed protection against mites and leaf miners. With its reputation for quality control, Avid is also the miticide/insecticide of choice for nursery and landscape professionals. Its unique chemistry and mode of action make it an ideal product for rotation in resistance management programs.

Mode of Action

Stimulates the release of Gamma amino butyric acid (GABA), which causes insect paralysis soon after ingestion. Within hours of exposure, feeding and damage to the plant stops, but death may take up to 2-4 days. Different from conventional insecticide/miticides; effectively controls susceptible and resistant mites and leafminers

From the above read, that tells me to leave it on, as the little critters are still alive, just not kickin'.

Oh ya...mites don't live on rocks man.

Thanks for the info Hal... It's a wonder that I didn't develop a mutant strain of mite in my grow in those days! I always used it in veg too... Often a 'dip' when they were freshly rooted and a follow up spray. I'm sure I learned about spraying it off with water from some other grower on OG or somewhere... lol... :p

Peace!:cool:

I thought this would be interesting to you all. I am waiting for my avid to come via mail. So in the mean time I decided to try to fumagate my most infested plant with Co2. I put 2 pounds of dry ice in a container of hot water and placed it in a sealed bag with my most infested plant. I don't know how it will turn out but I will keep you posted.

bag.jpg

Spidermites can handle extremely high levels of co2. I studied th subject when I had them. The plants should enjoy the extra co2 so it's all good.

I nuked the crap out of them, all night long. I checked them this morning and no spidermites are stirring. I will keep checking throughout the day.

This stuff is not fully systemic but its action is trans-laminar,meaning the spray is absorbed into the leaf tissue and emerging bugs from eggs not killed by the initial spray feed and poison themselves.

Bugs and eggs totally sorted.It works,as it cleaned up a badly infected clone I was given no problem.

Not for use in late flowering.

Hope this helps. :)

DSC_0001.jpg

I just wanted to add this; diatomaceous earth works. Like as it "it really does work", it isn't a poison and it isn't harmful to humans or plants, and it works machanically on the bug itself. But it works. They all just dry up and die on the leaf, mass bugacide. Buy a sack of it, and cloud the plant with it, all over the thing. They die, garuanteed. I think, if there is even the least amount of suspicion about a product and it's application to something you are going to be smoking at some point, you owe it to yourself to try something that won't kill you over a toxic substance like avid. And i know how you feel, mites suck. Please just look into diatomaceuos earth before you spray it with the other stuff.
Pyrethrins work too, toxic to bugs, not humans, not plants, Bug Off is one brand... I had to look it up the other day when i was posting to another bug thread and remembered that i used to use dog flea stuff in the 80's. Well people still use the pyrethrin's and they work well, and arn't avid.

But do try the DE, it's awsome, safe, non-toxic and everybody shuld have a bag... i should take out stock in it, i tell everyone the dame thing :)

I will check into that asap. The co2 killed 50% of the mites but their are still a crap load.

I found this about it and I ordered some as well.

What is Diatomaceous Earth?
Diatomaceous earth is a remarkable, all-natural product made from tiny fossilized water plants. Diatomaceous Earth is a naturally occurring siliceous sedimentary mineral compound from microscopic skeletal remains of unicellular algae-like plants called diatoms. These plants have been part of the earth's ecology since prehistoric times. It is believed that 30 million years ago the diatoms built up into deep, chalky deposits of diatomite. The diatoms are mined and ground up to render a powder that looks and feels like talcum powder to us. It is a mineral based pesticide. DE is approximately 3% magnesium, 33% silicon, 19% calcium, 5% sodium, 2% iron and many other trace minerals such as titanium, boron, manganese, copper and zirconium. Diatomaceous Earth is a natural (not calcined or flux calcined) compound. Diatomaceous Earth is a natural grade diatomite. However, the continual breathing of any dust should he absolutely avoided.

Latest posts

Back