spindly in veg stage

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bubbles

Reaction score
For a 4 x 6 tank, I have 2 600 lights. Why then would the small vege stage plants grow tall and spindly instead of bushy?

Hi there. Welcome to MP. This is definitely a great place to learn how to grow mj like a pro. It's also filled with members that are more than willing to help you out in any way possible. Make sure to take a good look around the site. There is a ton of information that will definitely help you along the way.

First of all, we need to know the exact dimensions of your grow area..length, width, and height. Also are you using hps or mh lights? How old are the plants? How big are the containers? How often do you water? Ferts? What strain of mj? There are a ton of variables that we need to know in order to help you further. Definitely keep us posted. Take care and be safe.

bubbles said:
For a 4 x 6 tank, I have 2 600 lights. Why then would the small vege stage plants grow tall and spindly instead of bushy?

Your lights are too far away from the top of the plants, what your getting is called stretch, the plant is putting all its enrgy into trying to reach more light instead of sitting short and getting bushy.

4 x 8 tank, flush and drain- 3 -15 minute cycles in 18 hours. 6" square containers. 2 600 watt MH lights, 1 month old grandaddy purple.

Thanks for your help.

How close should they be? The glass is out so we are afraid of them burning. What do you think?

yeah that's a bit far.
i can't really say how close they should be that young, as i usually use floro's at first. you could try 1 at 2 feet, and 1 at 1 foot.. but watch that 1 footer.. that may be a bit to close.
i think you're probably shooting for about 18 inches or so. (or about half the distance you have now)

Use the back of your hand..place the back of your hand right on top of your plants and if its uncomfortable for your hand then its too close...A small fan pointed at your ladies will also help thicken and stregthen those stems...~ogr

^^ All good advice. I use the hand trick that ogr explained. That will be a great method to use to judge the distance. I would say around 18" is a good start though. Keep us posted on your progress. Take care and be safe.

smokybear said:
^^ All good advice. I use the hand trick that ogr explained. That will be a great method to use to judge the distance. I would say around 18" is a good start though. Keep us posted on your progress. Take care and be safe.

yeah 18 inches is a good start since he is using 600 watters..great advice Bro...~ogr

Bubbles,
There's a formula to figure up how many cfm's you should need on the fan.
trying to find it.
Oh yeah........
:bong: :bong:Welcome to Marijuana Passion!!!:bong: :bong:

Gb

you said 600.. okay be sure it is 12 to 18 inch from the light to the plant.

hope I clear that up for ya ;) (600w of hps/mH right?)

be sure you got a good air circulation such as fans, nor duct fan, one in, and one out.. and air cool the hood/light check the temp be sure its 70 to 84 between of that numbers of degree you should do good..

Okay here's the one I found:
(This is to replace the air in one minute of operation)
W x L x(H x 1.2)
Don't know the hieght of the tank but:

4ft. x 8ft x((whatever height in feet)x 1.2)= CFM
And that cfm is for each fan-intake and exhaust.

Ex:
So if your tank was 6 feet high:
4ft x 8ft x (6 x 1.2)
4ft x 8ft x 7.2
32 x 9= 230.4(230-231)cfm for each fan.

Gb

Latest posts

Back