stem appears to be rotting, leaves dying bottom to top

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BagSeed

Reaction score
Well i transplanted my only big plant into the ground almost a month ago and when i checked on it last week i almost cried. All the leaves on the bottom 3/4 were dead and dry. The stem has red/brown all over it and it hasn't grown hardly and since i transplanted. I didn't loosen the root ball when i transplanted like i should have because it was EXTREMELY root bound. Also, my hole has about 5 inches not filled because i ran out of soil. Could these be the problem? I guess the good news is that since last week no more leaves have died. I gave it a light dose of Advanced Nutrients Grow Solution yesterday but it doesn't have micro nutes. I also sprayed it with some pesticide. Here are some pics and help will be greatly appreciated. This was the plant i had most of my hopes in as i only have one other plant that is about a foot tall and don't know the sex and i am rapidly trying to start more.

untitled.jpg

stem.jpg

I'm not sure what the problem is but it doesn't look good. Sorry my friend. Hopefully someone else can chime in and help you out more. Definitely start more. Just my thoughts. Take care and be safe.

Yeah im gonna try to start about 15-20 now i guess. My origional plan was to just have about 5-10 giants.

Soil parasites likely. Roots are being attacked. If it isn't too late fork some Bromophos (soil insecticide) in. Best of luck, you're going to need it. I always recommend using a soil pest killer outdoors in actual ground.

Almost looks like bamboo!

can you get a closer/better focus shot of the white on the lower stalk of the 2nd pic?!? that looks like stem rot... white fungal spots. If you get in close you should be able to see... almost puffy roundish spots that are raised above the stem surface... amongst other indicators...

that baby looks to be in trouble. green vibes on the next batch brother...

I honestly don't know what to suggest. If you dig it up you will have to pretty much destroy the root ball to catch things like white grubs and larvae that are killing it. And that is just an educated guess remember. I have had something similar in the past, outdoors in a pot. No; try gently digging a soil insecticide in, ccording to th mfrs instructs, then fill in to the top, then lay some anti-mollusc (snails and slugs) pellets around the bases. Good luck

I can't make out the pics enough for any advice but I think Oregon Bob is right on. You seem to be describing stem or root rot. The leaves look quite wilted as well. If possible attempt to lessen humidity by increasing circulation maybe and eliminate standing water around the root system. When your planting sight is below the surrounding area (like in a deep hole) it can easily lead to problems such as the fungal diseases that seem to thrive in low lying moist areas. Good luck - those could be a lost cause

Good news everyone!!!! I went and checked on the plant last week and it is coming back nicely. It might have grown a little in height but it is filling out nicely. There are just no leaves where it died from the bottom to about the middle. Im hoping it will still grow 6"-1 foot before it is all done. I believe it might have been a pest problem because when i first noticed it i sprayed pesticide on it and it has not gotten any worse since. I also gave it 2 tsp/ gal of Fox Farm Big Blooms or whatever this last time i went. The way it looks now im pretty sure i would at least get an ounce off it but hopefully it grows up a little more or branches out some an gets even more yield. Anyone think i should top it this late? There is 13 hours and 57 mins of daylight still in my area as of august 1st. Any help appreciated. PS. it might look a little wilted but that is because i had just sprayed pesticide on it so that was weighing the leaves down.

untitled6.jpg

So what do yall think about the current state of my baby? Any idea on how much i might yield or how much more it will grow? Also should i top?

Hello BagSeed :)

Far too late to top it.

The plant is in the hands of mother nature now.

All the branches where the side buds grow are missing so you will only get bud at the top, 10 gms max is my guess.

:peace:

10 grams dang that sucks. It has no buds at all on it yet and we still have 13 hours and 50 something mins of light around here. You don't think it will grow out any more?

Latest posts

Back