Stoney Bud...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Viracocha711

Reaction score
What steps do you take when doing your LST/HST to get all those bud sites?

Where can I read in detail about how you, STONEY BUD, uses LST/HST?

If this thread is considered to be a repeat thread then delete it...I am just curious how you do what you do?

Viracocha711 said:
What steps do you take when doing your LST/HST to get all those bud sites?

Where can I read in detail about how you, STONEY BUD, uses LST/HST?

If this thread is considered to be a repeat thread then delete it...I am just curious how you do what you do?

I start snipping tops on each branch of my future Mothers when they're still very small and just sexed. Then I let the two new branches on each cut grow until they have two nodes. When the third node comes out....SNIP! Then I just keep doing this until the plant is at the height I want it to stay, (about 4 feet tall). Every time a branch has a new 6 inch growth, I take it off and use it as a clone. If I don't need clones right then, I just pitch it into my clippings pile for oil. After about 3 months of doing this, my host plants get a perfect shape to them and about 100+ cloning locations.

REMEMBER THE 30% RULE !!!!!

Never take more than 30% of the plant mass from it at one time. Always allow the host plant to recover for at least 3 days from taking a bunch of clones. The plant will heal and then you can take another 30% or less.

To take more than that will, (more times than not), create a hermie. MJ just doesn't like to be whacked heavily. 30%. That's an easy one to remember.

On a plant that I intend to flower, I top and use LST until the plant has filled the entire grow area from corner to corner. No wasted space under *my* lights. I make sure that there are nothing but tops filling the room. I average a pound of cured weed from each of my 3.5 x 5.5 rooms.

Good luck to you!

Thanks SB!

...So, when working with a girl that you intend to flower, LST and top until it fills the grow space! I got it, when topping do you actually top the top of the plant and the new growth or just the new growth and allow the top to continue growing as you tie it down...

...I really appreciate the help!

I usually wait until the new growth is about an inch long before I clip it. Then, two branches will grow from that spot. As the branches grow, I direct them to the places that are empty. After you've done it a few times, you'll get the hang of it. What you're trying to do is maximize the number of tops in the entire grow area and space them out so they all get good light and no light is wasted.

Gotcha! Thanks man! I really think I see what you saying...Thanks!

Stoney,
I have a feminized Northern Light that is 5 weeks old, should I let it grow another 3-4 weeks before I start pruning?

She looks really nice, 8-10 inches tall and about 14-16 inches across...Very bushy and thick.

You don't *have* to top the plant. If it's nice and bushy now, why are you topping it?

You can start topping as soon as the plant is mature at about 6 weeks. When you see pre-flowers, you can top it.

Stoney Bud said:
I usually wait until the new growth is about an inch long before I clip it. Then, two branches will grow from that spot. As the branches grow, I direct them to the places that are empty. After you've done it a few times, you'll get the hang of it. What you're trying to do is maximize the number of tops in the entire grow area and space them out so they all get good light and no light is wasted.
so you clip the new branches? and do you just train them to go to empty spots by tying them up with wire or something?

NO NO NO...I have not cut, pruned or topped anything! I was simply asking when or at what week was it OK to start training a mother plant as you have descibed in this thread. I would would also like to know if you keep your mothers in soil or hydro? I have two mothers growing in an ebb and flow system much like your 4 unit system but smaller (2 unit)...

hehe, it seems like maybe the two different methods are getting confused.

You can "Top" a plant to create more branching to fill a growing area.

You can use "LST" to direct existing branches to empty places to fill them.

Or, you can use both.

Viracocha, I grow my Mother, (Host), plants in dirt. It slows them down some and that's what I want. I only need clones every 3 months. The rest of the time, I just clip them off and add them to my leaf pile for ISO oil.

OK...Thanks mang!

BTW-Mother plants grown in soil, do you use 3gal, 5gal, 10gal pots? I may move mine to soil as well...Thanks!

Viracocha711 said:
OK...Thanks mang!

BTW-Mother plants grown in soil, do you use 3gal, 5gal, 10gal pots? I may move mine to soil as well...Thanks!

I use 5 gallon pots and I continue the topping to maximize the amount of branches. When the plant is about 3 feet tall, I don't let it grow any taller. I keep the size down by taking the individual branches off below the fork of new branching. This gives me all the clones I need and keeps the plant from getting too large. After awhile of doing this, the plant will take a very nice shape that's easy to keep.

I use half strength General Hydroponics Flora Series nutes to feed them with every single watering and I have two 125 watt flos over two Mothers. Works like a charm.

Thanks as always Stoney...So, with soil I guess the watering regime would be as needed, when the soil dries?

Thanks !

Viracocha711 said:
Thanks as always Stoney...So, with soil I guess the watering regime would be as needed, when the soil dries?

Thanks !

I evaluate the need for water by the weight of my containers. When they are getting pretty light in weight, I water slowly until a bit of water comes from the bottom. As soon as they are watered thoroughly, I heft the container again to see it's weight. Then, I don't water again until the container is light again.

Latest posts

Back