taking a clone

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikepro88

Reaction score
Ok So my plan is to grow dwc inside with about 5 to 10 plants but my big grow is gonna be outside when summer time gets here but i want all my outdoor plants to be cloned.. i have read every thing about clones on here even MP's cloner with is awsome lol but i still have "my questions"

Ok i only want female plants of corse but i think i read somewhere that ts best to take clones in veg state but how do i know if its male or female in veg state?

can i put a " mother plant" in flower as long as it takes to ger her to show she is a girl and then put her back to 24 or 18 6 ?

and that leads me to my next question is how am i going to pick out a moher plant and keep er in veg if i dont know she is a girl or not??

:confused: :confused:

Plants will show sex eventually in veg state once they reach sexual maturity, but if you don't want to wait that long you have several options.

You can flower it just until it shows sex and then put it back into veg. When you do this it will slow down growth but who cares, you don't need a 7 foot mother plant. Pick your biggest best looking heartiest plant to make clones out of.

While I've never done this next practice my buddy does and swears by it. He puts a bag dark enough to block out light over just one branch to reduce the light to 12/12, then just that branch shows sex, once it shows sex he stops putting the bag over the branch and lets it go back into veg.

mikepro88 said:
Ok So my plan is to grow dwc inside with about 5 to 10 plants but my big grow is gonna be outside when summer time gets here but i want all my outdoor plants to be cloned.. i have read every thing about clones on here even MP's cloner with is awsome lol but i still have "my questions"

Ok i only want female plants of corse but i think i read somewhere that ts best to take clones in veg state but how do i know if its male or female in veg state?

can i put a " mother plant" in flower as long as it takes to ger her to show she is a girl and then put her back to 24 or 18 6 ?

and that leads me to my next question is how am i going to pick out a moher plant and keep er in veg if i dont know she is a girl or not??

:confused: :confused:

grow your plants to a good size, take a single clone from each plant mark them respectively. Grow the clones for a couple of weeks in veg state, then move your clones to your flower room. Let them flower til you can see either the buds from a female or sacks from a male. If you have male clones destroy the plants they came from.

you can probably continue to grow the other female clones but their stems may not be strong enough to support the weight of the buds.

keep the plants that your female clones came from, those are now your mothers and you can clone from there.

good luck bro.

grow your plants to a good size, take a single clone from each plant mark them respectively. Grow the clones for a couple of weeks in veg state, then move your clones to your flower room. Let them flower til you can see either the buds from a female or sacks from a male. If you have male clones destroy the plants they came from.

you can probably continue to grow the other female clones but their stems may not be strong enough to support the weight of the buds.

keep the plants that your female clones came from, those are now your mothers and you can clone from there.

good luck bro.

I guess this would work also but it seems like more work and it would definitely take longer. If you do decide to go this route and keep it on 12/12 from start to finish you should be fine. I've had plants whose buds got too heavy for the plant, it's the greatest problem ever, if it does happen just tie them up to a point where the branches don't break and you'll be fine.

cadlakmike1 said:
I guess this would work also but it seems like more work and it would definitely take longer. If you do decide to go this route and keep it on 12/12 you should be fine. I've had plants whose buds got too heavy for the plant, it's the greatest problem ever, if it does happen just tie them up to a point where the branches don't break and you'll be fine.

i use this method never intending to keep the clones whether they are male or female, i only want to know sex of new plants. i like it better cause it keeps stress from the possible mother, switching lighting etc. and worse comes to worse i'd rather lose a clone.

usually what i do though, to save time cause it can be a 3 or 4 week process, is i'll take as many clones from each possible mother as i can, and let them veg while the other clones are flowering to determine sex. this way if i luck out and all my plants are ladies, i am just that much more ahead of the game.

To each his own. I hear what you're saying, makes sense. At least that way you have a few clones already on there way. Personally I will put a mother through a little stress, if she hermies from going into flower and then back into veg just one time, she's too sensitive for me.

At least now he has a few ideas to chose from.

i kinda dont havea hps or anything to flower with at this time n e way i was just getting my ideas butthanksfor all the help guys

You don't need a hps to flower if your just trying to show sex. If the plant is getting 12 hours of dark and 12 hours of light under your current light it will show sex. Like I said earlier though, if you're in no hurry the plant will eventually show sex even on 24 hours of light.

yeah im in no hurry so i guess ill just let it sit
the only plant i have growing is the "my little baby" plant that is also in this part of the form will it make it with no nutes tho?

i wanna clone the heck outta this one plant to i can use it for dwc and for outside

That's been debated a few times on the forum, very few say you don't need nutes but most agree plants need nutes. Did you buy dirt with timed released nutrients already in it?

diablo_cannabis said:
grow your plants to a good size, take a single clone from each plant mark them respectively. Grow the clones for a couple of weeks in veg state, then move your clones to your flower room.

You dont have to vegg the clones at all diablo, just put into 12/12 and they show sex in a couple weeks.

This method is how I do it.

i never take clones until the donor plant has shown sex.then i take my clones and continue to flower the donor mother.

Take cuts, lable them AND the "donors". Flower the donors.
"IMHO" the most efficient and quickest method with little to no waste of time or resources.

:yeahthat:. That's what I just did - took a clone and flowering the donor.

Generally, during the first 2 or 3 days after your mother plant shows it's junk, is when IMO, the best time to take yer li'l saplings. Find the appropriate node, make yer slice, and so on and so forth... any later and your clones will go from 2 to 3 weeks to root, to 4+. After cloning, i ALWAYS keep the babies on 24 or 20/4, just until they show signs of new growth. Once they show signs of new growth you can transplant them from your medium to the pot of dirt (unless that's your medium already ....WHY!). they don't however, need to be like RIGHT up against the lights, indirect light is fine, as they don't need a bunch of lights for the stems to turn into roots, but a CFL is definately a good bulb option for cuttings

a good friend starts seeds,veg's for a few weeks,then 12/12 until sexed,he gave me three 10 inch plants last year in may,in an igloo drink container,i opened it and found 3 singlt stalk plants with a nug on top of each,lol,he said "don't smoke that nug..plant them in pots and put them outside" i did and they grew into beautiful female plants..this guy has been growing outdoor for over 20 years,he has a 400 watt MH he uses in his barn for sexing,i have a rubbermaid box i just started and i plan on doing much the same thing for myself this year...hopefully make some clones as well

Latest posts

Back