Tempatures and color

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cass

Reaction score
I'm workin with 3 lil ladies in the Rocky Mountains of the US. Growing outside and most nights it gets down to about 50 degrees here, and just over 90 during the day. The sun is extremely intense here! Recently I discovered one plant's new growth to be purple. They all look very healthy but I've been told that if they get too cold they can turn purple. I don't know what strain any of them are, as I recieved the seedlings from a respectable friend- but he doesn't know what they are either. Anyone get their leaves turning purple from cold?? BTW Ms Purple is currently at 22in.

Yes, cooler temps will induce purple colors in some strains, but this is strain dependent and not necessarily a bad thing. pics would be lovely!

ive also got purple on one of my plants but idk what strain it is. friend gave me the seed also and im down here in tx, not sure if purple is from the temp tho bc its been crazy hot/humid! goodluck cass!

Thanks blow, good luck to you too!:)

Cass said:
I'm workin with 3 lil ladies in the Rocky Mountains of the US. Growing outside and most nights it gets down to about 50 degrees here, and just over 90 during the day. The sun is extremely intense here! Recently I discovered one plant's new growth to be purple. They all look very healthy but I've been told that if they get too cold they can turn purple. I don't know what strain any of them are, as I recieved the seedlings from a respectable friend- but he doesn't know what they are either. Anyone get their leaves turning purple from cold?? BTW Ms Purple is currently at 22in.

hmmm.. sounds like very similar conditions as my area, cass. IMO, it is 'ideal' for mj. ;) Sounds like you might be at altitude too ??. about 7,000 ft here. The more intense uv at higher altitudes are credited for more potent mj in some studies. :hubba:
Temps below 60F can induce red/purple in 'some' plants. Temps above 90, or below 60, mj's metabolism slows down. Nutrient uptake and utilization is 'inhibited' in the cooler temps, and it sometimes reflects as a deficiency. (purple) BUT there are also strains that have been genetically selected and bred for the color.
good luck!

Thanks Hick. Yes in fact I'm at 8,600ft. I imagine that's a bit too high;) than ideal but such is life. I finally got an image for you all to try and interperate the strand, but apparantly the email I sent myself wasn't properly decoded and I can't open it in Picasa???? How frustrating it is being computer illiterate. :cool:

Cass said:
Thanks Hick. Yes in fact I'm at 8,600ft. I imagine that's a bit too high;) than ideal but such is life. I finally got an image for you all to try and interperate the strand, but apparantly the email I sent myself wasn't properly decoded and I can't open it in Picasa???? How frustrating it is being computer illiterate. :cool:
"too high".. that's like "too much money" ..or "too much fun"... :rofl: 8600' is up there tho'.
try the picture posting tutorial thats a 'stickie' in the announcements area ;)

Here it is. What do you think?

c2.jpg

Cass said:
Yes in fact I'm at 8,600ft. :cool:

I thought you needed wings that high.....................
Planes must be like 100 ft. over your head, lol.

Haha not here Commander. I'm right next to a 14,000ft peak where nothing but tundra grows!

Planes must be like 100 ft. over your head, lol.
..it only "seems" that way in Sept. 'n October :p

I think it looks great cass!.. appears healthy 'n happy. You might consider brainstorming something to sheild it from the exceptionally cooler temp's you're going to be experiencing by mid-late september.
I have constructed teepee like structures and covered with a tarp, trying to finish some longer flowering sat's, that want a late october finish.

i bring my plants in every night because of deer and mine are all purple.its because of the cold temps in my house. its ok though cuz their still buddin fine. good luck

Ive had some outdoor crops show purple even down south..all it takes are a couple weeks of cold nights..I dont mind it though, all my outdoor stuff 'looks' better than my hydro..I'd like to see a 'purple' strain..outdoors.

It's funny because I truly thought it was strand based color, but a few exceptionally warm days and slightly warmer nights seem to have it returning back to a bright green. It's my first grow so I'm just very curious and trying to learn. Thanks to all for taking the time out of your day to give insight.

Latest posts

Back