The Dream Room

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LEFTHAND said:
hey man..
all you have to do is take the sqft of the room your trying to light and divide it by the number of lumens your bulb puts out...

i have a 3x3 tent... 3x3=9 sqft.. i run a 600w in there at 90-95,000 lumens...
so 90,000/9=10k lumens per sqft... 95,000/9=10,555 lumes per sqft..

your are looking for a MINUMUM of 5000 lumens per sqft for flower n 3000 lumens per sqft for veg...

the web site is wrong lol...
6x6=36.
140k/36=3888 lumens per sqft.. that would veg i would want more.. but thats me.. wont cut it for flower though...
10x10=100
140k/100=1400 lumes per sqft.. way way way off...

hope this helps man..
LH

yes it helps a great deal thankyou

ishnish said:
EDIT: 3000 lumens per sq ft for veg; 5000 per sq ft flower. these are minimums.
one 1k hps be around 150,000 lumens would fall a little short for flowering in a 6x6 area.

I don't think this is wholly accurate, looking at the bulbs initial lumen output for a 1kw MH is about 110,000 lumens, and mean lumen output is about 95,000.

and an HPS is around 120,000 lumens initial and 105,000 mean output.

Although it really depends on your bulbs, you're gonna be looking at around 100k lumen output from either bulb on a regular basis after they're put into use for a while.

Also for 4 1kw lamps running 24/7 for 30 days it works out to only $230.40 at $0.08/kwh.

PartyBro420 said:
I don't think this is wholly accurate...

Although it really depends on your bulbs, you're gonna be looking at around 100k lumen output from either bulb on a regular basis after they're put into use for a while.

Also for 4 1kw lamps running 24/7 for 30 days it works out to only $230.40 at $0.08/kwh.

True, really depends on the bulb. I was just throwing 150k lumens out there cuz i've heard it somewhere before.

and my kWh estimate was including all electrical gadgets for the dream room. (pumps, fans, etc..)
With my little grow my lights are about half the total kWh that are actually used for growing. especially because the fans are on 24/7..

Ah, Ok. I think he's talking about using 4 lights for real though in a 48 square foot room now though. Not the 4 that were shown in the dream room design.

ur confusing him with the lumen mumbo jumbo.....

bro.....1000w for every 4x4 or 5x5....simple.....any larger than a 5x5 and it wont be efficient enough IMO!

Kushluvr said:

bro.....1000w for every 4x4 or 5x5....simple.....any larger than a 5x5 and it wont be efficient enough IMO!
The "lumen mumbo jumbo" is a vitally important piece of mumbo jumbo in the growing process. Go try growing marijuana with 3000 lumens per square foot during flowering and tell me how successful you were at your yields. My guess would be not very good at all. Be it doing the math yourself, or having other people do the work for you, you need to have adequate lighting. In my opinion, lighting and how it works is one thing every grower should know everything they can comprehend. There isn't really much room for confusion. Granted, some people just do what theyre told to do, and don't give much care as to why theyre supposed to be doing that.

Kushluvr said:

nahh the formulas arent confusing, just didnt have them at my disposal, now i do and i can put them to good use

just for fun i went on hgtsupply, and filled a shopping cart with everything i think i would need for the dream room(spared no expense)

bought enough of everything so that if stuff breaks i have replacments, and bought enough replacements so that i could keep the room running for like 5 years

Subtotal: $17,814.35
Shipping: $1,790.66 UPS
Tax: $0.00
Total: $19,605.01

lol

...i'll update with an estimate of how much it would cost to construct the room, and all the aero systems

jesus.... $19,605.... What all did you add? I went to HTG and 8x 1kw full packages was like $3000. Haha you should post a list of equipment with the total haha let's see what the breakdown is!

remember this is my dream room, i will spare no expense :)

i only posted the big stuff, it literally took me about 2 1/2 - 3 hours to go through everything and pick out what i needed...when u have more then 30 items in ur shopping cart on HTG, it takes FOREVER to load the shopping cart page everytime u click on "add to cart"

1 PURE 200 Reverse Osmosis / Deionizer Syster $349.95

2 GrowBright 4 Foot 6 Lamp High Output T5 With Choice of Bulbs
- 6 Grow (6400K) Spectrum Bulbs - Spare
- Standard Warranty
- Steel Wheel Reflector Hangers
- 6 Grow (6400K) Spectrum Bulbs
- Single Outlet Mechanical Timer - 120v $539.80

5 Digital Greenhouse Dimmable 1000 watt Grow Light
- Single Outlet Mechanical Timer - 120 Volt
- Steel Wheel Reflector Hanger
- SunMaster 1000w MH Neutral Deluxe Bulb
- Standard Warranty
- Big Daddy 3x3 Reflector
- 120v
- SunMaster 1000w MH Neutral Deluxe Bulb $2,894.75

4 Digital Greenhouse Dimmable 1000 watt Grow Light
- Single Outlet Mechanical Timer - 120 Volt
- Steel Wheel Reflector Hanger
- GrowBright 1000w HPS Bulb
- Standard Warranty
- Big Daddy 3x3 Reflector
- 120v
- GrowBright 1000w HPS Bulb $2,211.80

2 Active Aqua Chiller, refrigeration unit 1/10 HP $759.90

4 Connoisseur Hobbyist Kit $1,887.80

1 GrowBright 4" Inline Fan & Carbon Filter Combo
- 25 Feet of Durable Silver Ducting
- GrowBright Fan Speed Controller
- 1/8" Rope Ratchets - 75lb Max
- 4" Duct Muffler
- Standard Fan Warranty
- Single Outlet Mechanical Timer - 120v $230.80

1 GrowBright 8" Inline Fan & Charcoal Filter Combo
- 25 Feet of Durable Silver Ducting
- GrowBright Fan Speed Controller
- 1/8" Rope Ratchets - 75lb Max
- 8" Duct Muffler
- Standard Fan Warranty
- Single Outlet Mechanical Timer - 120v $395.80

2 Trimeter by Nutradip
- General Hydro 8oz Calibration Set
- Sunleaves 1000 PPM Calibration Solution - 3oz $511.80

Subtotal: $9,782.40
Shipping: $0.00
Tax: $0.00
Total: $9,782.40

I am just a CountryBoy, but I think I could build your Dream Room cheaper and one you would be proud to use. I know I can beat HTG price's and maybe adjust some of your purchases to come up with a cheaper room that You would be proud to use. Remember cost does not always represent quality or efficiency. I believe you can build this room way cheaper by doing a lot of price comparison's with these products. I used to order thru Mail order catalogs from Cali. After checking Amazon and Ebay I found that Ebay had the most competitive prices overall.

P.S. If you do not have room that fits Your Dream You will have to build it as well and I did not see any material for that part of the room.

Good Luck, I hope everything works out for You

120$ per yard of concrete

footing = aprox. 7 yrds. = 840$ + 60$ (delivery charge) = 900$
concrete floor = aprox. 9.5 yrds. = $1140 + $60 (deliver charge) = 1200$

1.50$ per block
total block = 1240 block = $1860 + $80 (deliver charge) = $1920
masonry sand = 5 tons, $35 per ton = 175$
bags of "type s" mortar = 35 bags, at 17$ per bag = $595

CAT rental quote = 1600$ for a week rental

total cost to dig the hole, poor footing, build exterior walls = $6390 (thank god i dont have to pay for labor, cause i know how to do all this myself)

still need quotes on roof, interior walls, doors, electrical, plumbing, and all the materials for aero systems...fun times this gonna end up like $50,000

For a 5000w set up, 50k is down right crazy bro. All that stuff and no CO2? Even crazier.
Hope it all works out.

NorCalHal said:
For a 5000w set up, 50k is down right crazy bro. All that stuff and no CO2? Even crazier.
Hope it all works out.

nahh co2 generator and co2 controller were in with those major items i posted but apparently i forgot to copy and paste them

- HydroGen Pro Water Cooled Co2 Generator
- HydroGen Co2 Monitor

they were included in the price

Friend of mine set up a 8x10 with 4 600s and 2 1000s with a mini split and co2. A real professional 240v fully automated garden...cost was ~7,000$; room, lights, nutes and all.

50k$ :giggle:

OGKushman said:
Friend of mine set up a 8x10 with 4 600s and 2 1000s with a mini split and co2. A real professional 240v fully automated garden...cost was ~7,000$; room, lights, nutes and all.

50k$ :giggle:

lol no 1 is even paying attention to the thread, did he build a underground 30x25 room off the back of his house?...yes i realize im not utilizing all of the space to its fullest, and yes i could have not bought all of the top of the line expensive equipment..but then again that wouldn't make it a "dream room" now would it

i love all you guys, and all of your helpful input. but this isnt supposed to be a super serious, on a super tight budget thread. im well aware that i could get just as much out of ALOt less

I just built a 25x25 20 light room with CO2 and a 5 ton AC with a Santa Fe Dual Max dry Dehumidifier for under 30k. Top of the line everything.
Overhead is HUGE, keeping overhead under control is KEY to success with bigger gardens, trust me.
Water cooled Genny is not worth it at all. If heat from a genny is a concern, you don't have the correct cooling to begin with.
I understand your dreamin', but it is turning into a nightmare from where I sit.

I for one, like the idea of someone having a dream and making the effort to see it come to fruition. $50k is way out of my league, but hey, it aint my money.
Best of luck to shortbus. I'll be waiting to see the final results of this endeavor in the grow journals section. :watchplant:
heck, if I had 50k right now, that'd just get me out of dept. :rofl:

ShOrTbUs said:
lol no 1 is even paying attention to the thread, did he build a underground 30x25 room off the back of his house?...yes i realize im not utilizing all of the space to its fullest, and yes i could have not bought all of the top of the line expensive equipment..but then again that wouldn't make it a "dream room" now would it

i love all you guys, and all of your helpful input. but this isnt supposed to be a super serious, on a super tight budget thread. im well aware that i could get just as much out of ALOt less
i am sorry...my post sounded derogatory

I love the dreaming man its what makes people strive for better! Im not knocking this at all so im sorry if it sounded that way. I cant wait to see it all come together.:headbang:

Latest posts

Back