The Economy and Prices of weed.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

omnigr33n

I'm a damn monkey.
Reaction score
So we all know the economy is crappy right now. Consumption is falling in many sectors of our economy (which I think might be a blessing in disguise since we consume way too much in general). However, is this affecting the prices of marijuana? I would think, in the simplest of terms, that the price of weed should drop since people are spending/consuming less. However, we are dealing with a black market economy here. I was hoping for some input from others.

It's called supply and demand. If people stop buying it the price will drop. However, if people continue to buy it (Like it seems is still happening) the prices will go up to support the dealers' habits and food consumption. I know my prices are fluctuating, and slowly on the rise.

Neo drives a geo said:
the prices will go up to support the dealers' habits and food consumption. I know my prices are fluctuating, and slowly on the rise.

Yes, people are playing the money game like crazy nowadays. I suppose as everyday prices go up then so will the price of weed to supplement the dealers wallet? Are "wholesale" prices going up or are middlemen prices going up? Where does it begin really? Where is the biggest impact? I mean for example, the war of terror helped to tighten our borders so more contraband gets confiscated and this would mean increase in prices because of alack of demand? I am economist so this is somewhat interesting to me.

prices for me haven't really changed sine I was in college 7 years ago (is it really that long ago??:eek: ) but that seems to be how it goes over here. You get whatever there is and pay the same price. I think other countries have it WAAAAAY better than the UK :rolleyes:

In my area, as well as quite a few other places in the U.S. that I've heard about, are pretty dry when it comes to weed right now. Prices have stayed the same around here I think as part of that even admist this economy. Its just tough to find here. I have noticed more of my friends are smokin weed more on the schwag side of things though, which I'm sure is another sign of the times (the economic times that is).

:yeahthat: I haven't really seen a price change in the 2 places I have lived since I started smoking 5 years ago. If anything, the more I get into the scene I find good friends who can give me discounts if I need to buy. So, I guess prices have dropped for me. But I doubt prices will fluctuate all that much with the economy being what it is these days.

It's hitting where I live kinda hard, it seems.

it's 10 a gram for street bud and up to 25 a gm for Kinds.

The way that impacts private growers is that it makes us a big target for break-ins.

Mind your security, folks! :angrywife:

Here is my take.

People will eat Top Ramen for days (haven't we all at one time) to keep there smoke. Str8 up. So, the economy will not effect the herb market imo.

This question is a little tough this time of year. At least here in Cali and u know folks. I just read a little fact somewhere that stated that Cali grows 1/3rd of all the herb in the USA. I would guess that most all of that is from the outdoor harvests.
The Market does flucuate during Outdoor Harvest season. Wholesale prices drop on alot of herb due to the ABUNDANCE of herb for a couple of months, which we are in the beggining of right now. You can still get what you do in Summer, you just have to come with your A game during Oct-Jan. Top strains will allways hold it's price.
You have to think of the "trickle up" effect. The average guy who buys head smoke every week is hooked up with thier buddy who did some outdoor and is givin' it away, or real dang cheap to his buddies. So, the dude who hooks him up sits on his a while. The man who hooks up dude has an issue. Either lower prices, or wait if he wants to move it.
So, I think if you see any drop, it is just the season right now, not the economy.

So then what? It basically means that the economy is having a negligible effect on the prices of weed. I suppose this would make sense maybe because it doesn't really cost the grower inordinate amounts of money to grow outdoors? I believe much of the weed people smoke on the street is produced outdoors.
Plus people do want their weed. The will perhaps cut down on other things so that they can afford to still get blazed. I guess smoke first, other luxuries later?

Conventional wisdom suggests, and I think some folks consider MJ to be a priority, like any other medication and as such it will be the last thing they forego ;) insofaras those folks will continue to pay the escalating prices, the prices wont fall :rolleyes:

That said, I have noticed gas prices fell to around $2 a gal, something just aint right about all this eh :rofl:

blancolighter said:
In my area, as well as quite a few other places in the U.S. that I've heard about, are pretty dry when it comes to weed right now. Prices have stayed the same around here I think as part of that even admist this economy. Its just tough to find here. I have noticed more of my friends are smokin weed more on the schwag side of things though, which I'm sure is another sign of the times (the economic times that is).

I'm in the midwest also, and have noticed that it has been hit or miss on getting anything. Right now I can't even find shwag, and the dank is hard to find also. I have one guy that I have known for about 9 years and I have never known him to be out of weed, but he hasnt had anything for the past 5 days or so. It's really getting to be a pain in the ***. Unfortunately at this point I am unable to grow or I wouldnt have this problem.

omnigr33n said:
So we all know the economy is crappy right now. Consumption is falling in many sectors of our economy (which I think might be a blessing in disguise since we consume way too much in general). However, is this affecting the prices of marijuana? I would think, in the simplest of terms, that the price of weed should drop since people are spending/consuming less. However, we are dealing with a black market economy here. I was hoping for some input from others.

As I recall from my microeconomics classes, I think there are 3 factors holding mj prices steady in these trying days:

- there are no close (and cheaper) substitutes,
- the demand for mj in general is relatively inelastic (not sensitive to price within a reasonable range), and
- the black market prevents buying cartels (large volume, think Walmart) from driving prices down along with the prices of other goods and services.

NorCalHal said:
Here is my take.

People will eat Top Ramen for days (haven't we all at one time) to keep there smoke. Str8 up. So, the economy will not effect the herb market imo.

Thats the nice thing, pay some good money for dank, and that Top Ramen is a $20 dollar piece of filet mignon.

Puffin Afatty said:
Conventional wisdom suggests, and I think some folks consider MJ to be a priority, like any other medication and as such it will be the last thing they forego ;) insofaras those folks will continue to pay the escalating prices, the prices wont fall :rolleyes:

That said, I have noticed gas prices fell to around $2 a gal, something just aint right about all this eh :rofl:

I feel like I'm being fattened up for the kill...lol:holysheep:

to me.. in NC.. I can get good deal.. someone who knows me can give me good deal.. anywhere.. but

for newbies.. yeah it gonna cost them 135 for a oz.. sorry.... but again...

its dry around here.. sound like people is growing for themselves this time..;)
more likely people who grow in NC shares with only growers who need it ..

Weed is becoming scarce here.It's been on the downfall all year.It's been getting harder and harder to get weight.And a 1/8 of swag is likely to cost $25:eek:
Things are really changing.Something's gotta change soon or the only way to guarantee a buzz will be grow it yourself.Good thing we have green thumbs:D

Latest posts

Back