theres a first time for everything.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frankcos

Reaction score
So I have just begun my first grow.I had originally built a 2ftx2ftx4ft tall box but once outfitted with equipment left me with hardly any room for seedlings.Now what do I do?I talk the wife into letting me empty out her storage closet in the bedroom.Now I have a grow area roughly 6 and a half feet by 3 feet. At the moment the closet has a crappy semi-gloss white paint job and I am running about 1500 watts of assorted cfl's and 24inch wally world grow lights.I have a 400 watt hid I found in my garage when I moved in so I will be using that for flowering along with some of the cfl's. I plan on splitting the grow space in half when it comes time to flower so that if things are going good i can start the fems.I also plan on making a shelf for clones and germinating seeds somewhere in the veg side.I have a 2ft box fan on medium for air circulation and a small fan venting into the attic to try and relieve some if the heat.I started at 90 degrees and 20% humidity I have it down to 79 degrees and about 35 % humidity now.I used a poly tube to get a bit of air from my a/c unit as well.I am not sure how to lower temp and raise humidity any more.I don't really want to buy a humidifier.I germinated 15 seeds out of them I now have 6 seedling about 2 inches tall.They are just decent bag seed, I figure this will be the best bet as my first grow will be mostly trial and error.I have some fem seeds on the way so that round 2 will be the real deal.I have 1- arjans ultra haze #1,2- alaskan ice,1 g-bomb and 1- auto bluberry lowryder.If everything goes good with the auto I am thinking of just using autos all the time so I can have the constant batch of fresh danky head smoke I am after.I have a roll of clear poly plastic I am debating hanging this on the walls to get a bit more of a shine, what do you think?I plan to remain tight lipped , keep my fingers crossed and hope for a successful grow.I will keep you posted.and I am sure asking a ton of questions along the way.Wish me luck!For some reason my pics aren't working out for me.I'll have to post them at a later date.

Lumens my friend ! 5000 per sq ft ! I think this may give you some problems eventually ! All the best !

how many do you figure I have?lumen that is.I acquired some of these bulbs out of packaging so i am not sure their amounts.

Here are some pics of my first grow.Indoor bagseed with cfl's not sure if the pics are big enough if not i'll have to get a good camera took these with my phone .These are 9 days out of seed.I just received some seeds and I am germinating an auto blueberry now.Hope all turns out well, I am not sure if My setup is just right yet, and I am afraid i will stress them while making modifications to it as i go.

g3.gif

g4.gif

gro9.gif

grow1.gif

grow2.gif

grow6.gif

grow8.gif

CFL's can work great but you hve to hve a lot of cfl's and not a lot of plants in a small space...I wld dust off that HID you found and get a MH bulb and an HPS conversion bulb and go to work with that...I wld not stress on the humidity thing unless it gets way to high...the temps are more important as high temps will stress your plants out and you cld wind up with a high male showing or your females cld go hermie on you...autos are great as I grow them a lot and love them...just watch what strain you grow as some suck as far as yield goes...(Short Stuff falls into this category)....Good luck...

frankcos said:
how many do you figure I have?lumen that is.I acquired some of these bulbs out of packaging so i am not sure their amounts.

Generally, you can find the bulb model number on the base of the bulb. Type it into google and you should be able to find the specs (incl lumens) for it.

You are going to need more/better light. While CFLs will work fine to veg, for flowering, you are going to want to use that HID--is it a MH or HPS? A 400W HPS is good for about 10 sq ft. I am running a 1000W HPS in a closet the same size.

Clear plastic will do nothing ro help reflect light. Is that foil on your walls? If so, you should take it down and paint the walls FLAT white with a good quality paint. Foil is actually a poor reflector of light. It would also help to get reflectors for your lights--you are loosing a lot of your light by letting it just go everywhere :D .

You are almost certainly going to also have to get more/better ventilation. Ventilation needs are so dependent on your individual circumstances that there is no "standard setup".

if you want to extend the lighting capability of the sockets you're already using for your veg room, you can go to any electrical type home depot, wal-mart, ect, and find yourself those Y addaptors, they help so you can put more than 1 bulb per socket, and increase your lumens. I've actually got a few screwed together to make a 5 lightbulb socket, that i turn sideways over my plants, with a reflector just above them to push all that light back down at my seedlings. However, i flower under 1000watt hps also.

I veg in a 2'x2'x2' box that I made. I have four total computer fans in mounted in the back. I use one 23 watt cfl in the 6500 spectrum.I use a hood on the light until the plants get some height to them and then I take it off. This setup grows my plants very very well. The inside is completely painted flat white. I flower under a 400 watt hps in a closet. Four plants at a time is what works best for me.

I just got a 1000 watt high pressure sodium bulb a friend gave me that has been sitting around for years but still seems to be in operating condition.I am hoping i can screw it into the other ballast I have for the other bulb.Still kinda confused on the mogul bulbs and sockets.All of them need a ballast right?Can I get a mogul size socket attached to a plug and plug it into the wall?I find a lot of places sell the bulbs but don't carry the socket that fits it. I actually grabbed a few of those y adapters at homedepot this morning.Thay are pretty handy. My temps are currently at about 85 degrees with 30%humidity.I also obtained an 8 inch duct fan i am going to use to draw heat into the attic and out of my space.
The material on my walls is emergency blankets they are about 75% reflective I believe.

From what I read it seems like you found a 400W bulb and ballast in your garage, and if it's a 400W ballast I'm pretty sure you can't use a 1000W bulb. It will cause premature failure.

All HID lights require ballasts. You cannot use a 1000W bulb in a 400W ballast. Ballasts are made for specific type and wattage HID bulbs and they are not interchangeable.

Latest posts

Back