Things to keep in mind when designing your closet

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KaliKitsune

Hotboxed Fox
Reaction score
I've seen many a grow room in my time, and I must say sometimes it seems as if some things are overdone.

Allow me to share a few thoughts I had:

1. Figure out the height of the shortest pot you're going to use - your reflective mylar shouldn't go more than an inch below that line. Just coating the walls is a waste of usable material (take some of that bottom trim and get the ceiling with it!)

2. Airflow, Airflow, AIRFLOW! If you can't get airflow, you'd better get yourself a CO2 generator or make a box with holes in it that you can place dry ice into - plants can't breathe the oxygen that will build up over time.

3. The more electronics inside the closet, the harder it will be to keep cool. If you can, keep your ballasts and other equipment outside of the grow closet whenever possible to maintain regular temps inside the closet.

4. Place trays under your pots and be careful watering. Electrical sockets and wires dont mix well with water.
5. Micro-grows: if your bent over in your closet, remember not to straighten up and smack your head off the lights. (I've done this)

canibanol cannonball said:
4. Place trays under your pots and be careful watering. Electrical sockets and wires dont mix well with water.
5. Micro-grows: if your bent over in your closet, remember not to straighten up and smack your head off the lights. (I've done this)

I've done #5 many a time. That's another reason I switched to T5 - HID bulbs BURN when you bump into them (It ain't cool having a reverse-mohawk burned into your scalp for a while.)

And true with #4 - I'm a little lax right now in that because I'm not even exactly watering yet. I will have trays for underneath once I transplant them to larger containers.

Yo Ho friends,

After a world of exploration and studying it has become obvious that the use of a flat white latex paint on the inside of a growbox is the way to go, and that includes painting the ceiling, the sides, and the flooring, back wall and the inside of the door(s). The reflective mylar can work to create hidden hot spots. It is important to allow light to reach underneath your plant as well, and the reflective white paint will do just that. A good study was done on this subject and was presented by POTUS.
If you are using CFL's then a small fan, and an opening at both the bottom and again at the top of the box will certainly allow the warmed up air to escape out the top and draw in cooler fresh air at the bottom as I have done with mine. I was able to maintain a 76*-78* degree constant with just the CFL's. It will all change however when you seal up to avoid light, that's when good venting will be required.

smoke in peace
KingKahuuna

Latest posts

Back