Tightened up my grow space...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So whoever had seen what I had setup for my first grow as far as space, setup, lights etc. Will know that this is a step up from before. Bad I know. This will be my second grow. But I've cleaned out the rest of the closet so I'm not just using half of the floor space. Set up the flouro I got to add more light/lumens for vegging. And yeah hope to upgrade when and wherever possible.

View attachment WP_20151008_12_15_13_Pro.jpg

View attachment WP_20151008_12_21_04_Pro.jpg

The emergency blanket is temporary. I will ultimately be doing the flat white paint. But its not aluminum foil I repeat not aluminum foil. Lol

Actually, the emergency blanket is most likely made of mylar, the exact material you want to be using... as for the rest of your set up.... is that a potentially wet rag on the ground almost on top of your power strip?? :rant:

Is that one long fluoro a t5? You are going to need more than that... Is there another fixture in the foregroung? I am confused... :confused: maybe I will look at your past grow and try and gain some insight.

Actually, the emergency blanket is most likely made of mylar, the exact material you want to be using... as for the rest of your set up.... is that a potentially wet rag on the ground almost on top of your power strip?? :rant:

Is that one long fluoro a t5? You are going to need more than that... Is there another fixture in the foregroung? I am confused... :confused: maybe I will look at your past grow and try and gain some insight.

no they are dry wash clothes just a little precaution after watering, they sit out of the closet after they feed to settle than I put them back in, and yeah just in case some water decides to come through later. I ended up pinning the power strip to the wall. Yes the big light is just a two bulb fluorescent for vegging with another fluoro on the wall behind it three 1200 lumen cfls

Hi wwigi,,,ha funny initials. I will need to work on your name... So how bout get yourself some plastic saucers. they have them at my grocery store in the garden section. Then put a cookie sheet under those. The plants like a lot of water and drink most of what is left in the saucer. I am worried your soil doesn't have enough perlite in it for drainage.

Your babies look happy.

Hi wwigi,,,ha funny initials. I will need to work on your name... So how bout get yourself some plastic saucers. they have them at my grocery store in the garden section. Then put a cookie sheet under those. The plants like a lot of water and drink most of what is left in the saucer. I am worried your soil doesn't have enough perlite in it for drainage.

Your babies look happy.

Thank you I was honestly thinking the same thing about the perlite asked my buddy for some but he was out gonna pick some up this weekend I almost added like gravel type rocks to the mix but decided I would just wait to buy the perlite I knew I should have bought a bigger bag. Thanks for the reassurances.

HSP lights can add a LOT of heat to your environment.

Be as SURE as you can, this being your first time and all, your ventilation setup and room can handle the heat before
you go and spend $$ and or tear-down your old lights and put up the new.

:48:

PS/EDIT
IDK how tight funds are for you but if you could swing $200...
https://www.mars-hydro.com/Reflector-96-P2392.aspx
would produce a LOT more (and better) buds in your space.

HSP lights can add a LOT of heat to your environment.

Be as SURE as you can, this being your first time and all, your ventilation setup and room can handle the heat before
you go and spend $$ and or tear-down your old lights and put up the new.

:48:

PS/EDIT
IDK how tight funds are for you but if you could swing $200...
https://www.mars-hydro.com/Reflector-96-P2392.aspx
would produce a LOT more (and better) buds in your space.

I'm not to worried about heat really at this time of year I could probably welcome the extra heat to be honest. But that's a nice option for the warmer weather

What kind of ventilation will you have set up when you start using the hps? Its not just a matter of added heat, but compounded heat. Without proper air exchange, the temps will continue to rise. You might be very surprised by the amount of heat an HID light puts out.

My 1k might cause me problems in the summer months. I can almost count on it. Goimg to have to do a dedicated fan for the light I think.

My 1k might cause me problems in the summer months. I can almost count on it. Goimg to have to do a dedicated fan for the light I think.

Yea, I have seen grow room designs where they have a ducting line that intakes and exhuasts outside the tent, so it is a completely separate system from the tent ventilation. That is not necessarily needed in smaller grows, imo. I am using this cooltube and reflector combo:

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FB7IP22[/ame]

I pull exhaust air from inside my tent through my cool tube (intakes are passive). Maybe for a bigger grow or multiple lights I would do the discrete ventilation for the lights, but my set up works well for the size space I have been working with (15-25sqft).

Honestly I figured id leave the door open I have this peice of wood wrapped in an emergency blanket that I stick in the opening when it's open so that like 1/3 of the door is still like "open" the window is mot from from this and its already getting down to the high 40's outside. Figured id see how hot it gets from there and I have fans.

Yea, I have seen grow room designs where they have a ducting line that intakes and exhuasts outside the tent, so it is a completely separate system from the tent ventilation. That is not necessarily needed in smaller grows, imo. I am using this cooltube and reflector combo:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FB7IP22/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

I pull exhaust air from inside my tent through my cool tube (intakes are passive). Maybe for a bigger grow or multiple lights I would do the discrete ventilation for the lights, but my set up works well for the size space I have been working with (15-25sqft).

ive been looking into those but how do they work exactly.

Last edited by a moderator:
They work the same as a cooltube, only they have a reflector around the cooltube. Cooltubes are a glass tube with a light socket inside the tube, that way you can attach ducting to both ends and vent through the cooltube. A reflector gives a cooltube light dispersal benefits and other stuff...

Ventilation is very important, not just for removing heat but also for giving the plants fresh air to breathe. If you have plants in a space with lots of good light and it is enclosed so that there is only oxygen in the air, the plants will die. They need to breathe co2 in the same way we need to breathe O2. The less CO2 they have, the slower they will grow, and smaller they will be. You need to continuously pull the old air out and fresh air(not just cooler air) in. :)

Latest posts

Back