Trichs both sides

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leafminer

Bloody H E L L !
Reaction score
I've been growing a long time but this is the first time I had really noticed that trichs grow on both sides of the leaves. I just took a sample from my Black Domina and I could hardly help but see that the sugar leaves were coated so thickly on both sides that it looked like fur.

Is there a question or are you just sharing knowledge? It is a good thing to know and one I never thought of.

Good smoking

leafminer said:
I've been growing a long time but this is the first time I had really noticed that trichs grow on both sides of the leaves. I just took a sample from my Black Domina and I could hardly help but see that the sugar leaves were coated so thickly on both sides that it looked like fur.

Are you complaining or bragging?:D :hubba: :hubba:

I really need to get some of that to breed with my indica.;)

DD

Yeah. MindzEye, it does look weird. It kind of reminds me of those carnivorous plants that are covered in sticky stuff to trap insects.
Actually I don't understand anything any more, I've decided. Everything went perfectly in the grow. But one strain is coated in trichs the other strain has almost none. It must just be the strain that's the dominant factor. I am beginning to believe: You get what you pay for.

Virtually all the strains I grow have trichs on both sides of the sugar leaves. I love how they look all furry.

Hey leaf...glad to hear the trichs are bustin out of the domina, but I wouldn't blame the WHOLE strain of the blue mystic...maybe you just got a bad pheno. But I'd be mad to...lol! The strain should be stabalized before they sell it! Did you ever get a straight answer from them on their flowering times?

My first grow is just getting sugar on the leaves. Being a rookie, I figured it would be on both sides of the leaves. The plant is trying to protect itself, gotta cover your *** in those life and death situations, lol. I'll have to look at mine as they go the last 1/2 of flower. It's strange how something the same can be so different, if that makes sense.

i put my rhinos to sleep for 3 days, and they went into defense mode, before i chopped this week...trich laden heavily, both sides...

leafminer said:
Yeah. MindzEye, it does look weird. It kind of reminds me of those carnivorous plants that are covered in sticky stuff to trap insects.
Actually I don't understand anything any more, I've decided. Everything went perfectly in the grow. But one strain is coated in trichs the other strain has almost none. It must just be the strain that's the dominant factor. I am beginning to believe: You get what you pay for.

Now I'm a bit confused.

Are these from 2 different batches of seeds from seperate sources or, variations within one batch?

The 'you get what you pay for' comment made it sound like you bought cheap and expensive seeds of the same cross from different sources and had better results with the more expensive seeds.

DD

legalize_freedom said:
Hey leaf...glad to hear the trichs are bustin out of the domina, but I wouldn't blame the WHOLE strain of the blue mystic...maybe you just got a bad pheno. But I'd be mad to...lol! The strain should be stabalized before they sell it! Did you ever get a straight answer from them on their flowering times?

I'm sorry to say . . . no, I didn't. I just gave up. It seemed to me, sorry to say this, too, that the person responding had no idea whatsoever what they were talking about. :confused2:

I'm going to flower out the Blue Mystic, of course; it looks impressive, I should have a camera in a couple more days so I will post pics then, but basically it just looks like a huge mass of white pistils and the sugar leaves have hardly a trich in sight.

I like to do two-strain grows, and after my good luck with the Domina I am seriously considering buying Sensi's most expensive (at least I think it is) strain: Jack Herer. So I'm beginning to look for reports on that. But what I hear from the 'Dam is that it's highly regarded.

Droopy Dog said:
Now I'm a bit confused.

Are these from 2 different batches of seeds from seperate sources or, variations within one batch?

The 'you get what you pay for' comment made it sound like you bought cheap and expensive seeds of the same cross from different sources and had better results with the more expensive seeds.

DD

Droopy Dog, I'm comparing Nirvana's Blue Mystic with Sensi's Black Domina. If you compare the price of the seeds . . . that's what I meant. I don't mean to unfairly criticize Nirvana, because the Aurora grows I did were very good indeed, but when I get nonsense answers on a support query, and the person doesn't even seem to know the characteristics of one of their own strains, that really makes me wonder.

Oh, ok, I totally missed the BM aspect and was thinking of 2 seperate Domina grows/sources.

LOL, they are probably so busy thinking up new names for new crosses that haven't begun to be stabilized, questions about actual genetics are out of the question.:D :D

The BD really has me interested. I'm playing around with a pure indica that is really nice and in the future would like to out cross it with another pure indica just for myself.

The Aurora you grew sounded good till you started raving about the Domina and from your comments sounded like it would be worth the extra $$$.

We'll discuss this more in the future, for sure.

DD

Leaf, My best friend that passed a few yrs ago grew the Jack Herer from sensi. Actually the last grow he did before he passed away. It's definately choice genetics! Of the ones he grew he only had 2 distinctive pheno's and the one, the top ft and a 1/2 was the hugest cola I have seen grown indoors. This guy grew hydro, and his wife got rid of everything the night he died, so I didn't get any seeds or clones or anything...understandable, she was worried about investigations over his death, he was only 40.

Yeah man the JH is definately some nice stuff...I have actually thought of buying some....it's just alot of money, but if your going to get it, you may as well get it from them instead of some knock off using the name, or you might be in the same situation you are in with the BM.

leafminer said:

By no means I'm an expert, but I'm sure I read somewhere that trichs also grow on the bottom side of the leaves, only these do not contain THC.

Not sure if that's a strain-specific characteristic or not, I'm growing bagseed and even my plants have them, but when I rubbed my fingers on the bottom of the leaves they wouldn't smell like the top crystals do.

:yeahthat:
Hey Leafminer- Are those capitate stalked or sessille that are growing on the underside?

I've never seen stalked growing on the underside of the leaf- and that's where the thc is.

I've seen sessille on the underside before, but again, not stalked.

Um. You guys know a lot more than I do.
Well I am about to embark on my trip to buy a decent camera, i plan on buying one with good close-up capability so what I will do when I return, is take some photos, use Photoshop to enhance the close ups and hopefully you guys can tell me what kind they are!

i am trimming some hindu kush as i type this and have the same thing goin' on...i save all the leaves from this plant....my mom rolls them and looooves the stone she gets..wish i had a good camera so i could show them.

BBFan said:
:yeahthat:
Hey Leafminer- Are those capitate stalked or sessille that are growing on the underside?

I've never seen stalked growing on the underside of the leaf- and that's where the thc is.

I've seen sessille on the underside before, but again, not stalked.

here you go

Nice Umbra! Them are definately capitate stalked...whats the strain?

Latest posts

Back