What do you think about this soil and fertilizer?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Triskaideka

Reaction score
Hey guys,

This is going to be my first grow. I've done lots of research and think i have most of this figured out. Just want to make sure i am using the right products and what results should i expect to see from what i am using.

Im growing in a 6x2 storage closet outside, with white walls and an 8 foot ceiling. I am using 1 120W sylvania grow light to heat the room a little. seems to keep it at 80-90 during the day and around 75-80 at night. Lightning my 3 plants are 2 32watt 4 foot fluorescents about 4 inches from the plants. they have been growing about 7 days now, at least they sprouted 7 days ago. they germinated for about 4 days. they are bout 3-4 inches tall (ill get some pics on here in a few hours, watching election coverage right now) and in styrofoam cups. they have their set of little leaves then their first set of jagged leaves and another set just barely coming in. I have some 3-4 gal pots to transfer them to as well. When should i transfer these? I know when they get bigger, but would it hurt to go ahead and do it now or should i avoid stressing the plant right now?

My soil is Louisiana Soil Products Gourmet Soil. (composed of Canadian Sphagnum Peat Moss, Composted Pine Bark, Perlite, A Wetting Agent, and Fertilizer. Drains Well. believe its organic???
(is this soil OK) not sure of the ferts in it but the nursery said the amount was the lowest of any soil they offered.

I have yet to fertilize yet because im not sure if i should wait till i transplant or if should i go ahead and very lightly introduce the fert at say maybe 1/5th to 1/6th strength.
I have a bottle of Fox Farm Grow Big. 6-4-4 with trace minerals that im going to use for the vegetative stage.

Right now im watering every 2-3 days. Just waiting for the top 1.5" of soil to completely dry out before i water.

Am i doing anything wrong?
should i do anything extra.

im not trying to grow the most fire *** weed i can get right now. really just want to make sure i can do it right before i buy some good seeds. but i am going to smoke it so i want it to be a little decent.

i got the seeds from a friend who grew a plant in his backyard. he gave me an ounce of his stash and i took all the seeds out of it. the smoke was decent but it did have seeds so could have been better .

Any information here would be greatly appreciated.

Sounds like you're doing great so far, way to reseach the process a bit before you get into it.

First of all, you dont have pics so its hard to tell, but the seedling at 4 inches already sound kinda streched out. The bottom leaves of the seedlings should be within an inch on the soil they're growing in. If this isn't the case you should repot them and bury the stem deeper.

Give it a couple of weeks before you fertilize seeing as the soil you're using already has ferts. You're right on about starting the fertilizer diluted though, so in a couple of weeks do as you planned with the ferts. Also, I like to wait untill my plants are a little busy and are producing full sized fan leaves before I transplant them, thats just me though.

When the seedling grow up a bit more, you'll need to switch from the fluores to a bigger light in your grow room. That 125 watter plain won't cut it. You'll want probably a 400w, but you say you'll be growing later down the road too, so you might as well invest in a 600 or 1000 watt light with switchable ballast. You have a nice tall ceiling in your grow room, so might as well get the 1000 watt light.

forgot to mention the fluoros im using are 2 32 watt 4 foot T8's 6500k.

what causes them to stretch?? there is about a 2.5" gap between first leaves and soil. guess i didnt research that enough.

Triskaideka said:
forgot to mention the fluoros im using are 2 32 watt 4 foot T8's 6500k.

what causes them to stretch?? there is about a 2.5" gap between first leaves and soil. guess i didnt research that enough.

the lights are too far away, get those floros closer to the plants.
......Ive heard the name triskiadekaphobe...puzzling, Good luck :)

Latest posts

Back