What do you think

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

quontoke

Greatness in the making
Reaction score
As you can see from the pictures there is a little stretching due to the plant light that I added in, but I took it out due to heat stress on the plant. I want to start flowering but am unsure if the stretching will mess it up. The plant is 12 inches high and about 8-9 inches wide.

SSPX0187.jpg

SSPX0191.jpg

SSPX0193.jpg

So here are my questions and my opinion
What kind of lights are you using?
Do you have a timer?
do you have a bigger planter?
What kind of space are you growing in?

Opinion: It looks to be about 3 to 4 weeks old, not having been topped, it will get quite a bit taller during flowering, remember - plants can double even TRIPPLE in size once flowering is completed. So if your plant is 12" tall, it's gonna be 36" tall when it's done (or three feet tall). Ways to avoid tall, is by topping to make it go wide. I personally try to veg for 4 to 5 weeks before sexxing and flowering. your plant looks healthy dispite the stretch (which wasn't severe) so you're doing something right. I suggest repotting it into a 5 gallon bucket, and keeping lights as close to it as possible...you need around 5500 lumens per square foot, to ensure good internodenal spacing and keep it nice and dense. anything else? i forget....lol good luck! I'm sure i'll have more advice once i get more info

greenthumberish said:
So here are my questions and my opinion
What kind of lights are you using?
Do you have a timer?
do you have a bigger planter?
What kind of space are you growing in?

Opinion: It looks to be about 3 to 4 weeks old, not having been topped, it will get quite a bit taller during flowering, remember - plants can double even TRIPPLE in size once flowering is completed. So if your plant is 12" tall, it's gonna be 36" tall when it's done (or three feet tall). Ways to avoid tall, is by topping to make it go wide. I personally try to veg for 4 to 5 weeks before sexxing and flowering. your plant looks healthy dispite the stretch (which wasn't severe) so you're doing something right. I suggest repotting it into a 5 gallon bucket, and keeping lights as close to it as possible...you need around 5500 lumens per square foot, to ensure good internodenal spacing and keep it nice and dense. anything else? i forget....lol good luck! I'm sure i'll have more advice once i get more info
well right now i am using five CFL's, daylight and bright white. The total lumens right now are about 6500. the lights are right on top with the fift light danglign above with a reflector piece. I am in a closet about 6 feet high 3 feet wide. The plants are on 24/7. Yes I do have a bigger planter but I wanted to do that when I switched the lights to more powerful ones when I start flowering

quontoke said:
well right now i am using five CFL's, daylight and bright white. The total lumens right now are about 6500. the lights are right on top with the fift light danglign above with a reflector piece. I am in a closet about 6 feet high 3 feet wide. The plants are on 24/7. Yes I do have a bigger planter but I wanted to do that when I switched the lights to more powerful ones when I start flowering

Well, another question, how many lumens are each of those bulbs putting out....? and here's another suggestion
Definately repot them prior to switching lighting...then let them acclimate to your new lighting (especially if it's HID, i just stressed a plant by switching suddenly, though it's recovered, and didn't hermie on me) If you have 6500 lumens PSF, you shouldn't have had any stretch at all....so I suggest making your space (while it's still that small) smaller, and capturing all that light that is escaping. What I did when I had to move my cuttings to an upstairs closet, was use a large box, cut ventilation in the back and sides about half way up and left the top open of course, then spraypainted the interior flat white. That actually maximized (for the little piddly 150 watt CFL's i was using) Let your plant be in it's new planter for 4 to 5 days before switching it into flowering, to let its stress from being transplanted subside. But i'd definately depending on your prefrences, start flowering it ASAP, you'll get a decent yield, with the right lights off a plant that you begin flowering at around 12 inches tall. Like i said, i generally veg for 4 to 5 weeks, and with single cola or topped plants, end up with them around 3 to 4 feet tall by finish. Any other questions? I'd love to give my opinion
:holysheep:

the two daylights are putting out 1450 lumens a piece and the two daylight are putting out the two bright whites are putting out 1500 and the other cfl is putting out 600 or 675.. the reason it was stretching was cause I had a plant light an incandescent right over it and it got too hot and i had to place it about 8 inches above the plant with the daylight and bright white on the side instead of directly over the plant since i had that hot light in a reflector directly over it.

Plants dont stretch from heat bro, they stretch from lack of the light they need to live, they stretch to try to find that light. Ditch the hot ilght and reflector that were directly over it, and put the CFL with the most lumens directly over it, infact, a couple of them - even 3 with 2 for the side lighting, a plant that small doesn't need side lighting generally, as it should get all it needs from above it. Go to wal-mart and pick up one of those 150 watt CFL's they put out 2400 lumens...aswell as some Y socket addaptors, they should be around 3 bucks each. I actually connected a bunch of them together for my small closet area upstairs, and have 10 lights plugged into essentially 1 socket, and plugged into a surge protector. Since all the lightbulbs are in essentially 1 fixture, i turned it sideways and tied it like that, so they were spread out over about a 1.5' area, and then added home made reflectors (soda pop cans cut in half) to the topside of the lights, bouncing all those lumens that are being wasted directly down onto the plants. That'll be the best way to keep your vegging sprouties from stretching...The CFL's your using now probably will work for said setup, but I believe you can buy a box of GE smart energy 26 watt(100 watt equivilant)6 pack for $15 or under, at walmart. They put out 1750 lumens each, and are excellent supplamental light for veg

I sent u a PM.. but im going to homedepot today to return the plant light and pick up some more lights. I have the y sockets in my lamps already and I am going to pick up another light as well. I am using a fan in there too the temp is from 65-75 degrees. not too hot nor cool.

Aye, i sent you one back ;) Good luck with your selection of wares! temp sounds fine, but will get warmer with the addition of more lights...Don't waste your money on the CFL's at home depot! Definately check out wal-mart first....they have better deals for sure on the lightbulbs themselves. Home depot IMO is generally only good if you want to buy buckets, hardware, or electrical stuff. Not really good for much else unless you're building stuff - even then I'd suggest going to a real lumber yard....home depot is only good for appliances and power tools! LOL

Latest posts

Back