What do you think

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

highman

berry berry sneaky!
Reaction score
I have a friend with a closet space of 2ft x 6 1/2 ft around 20 sq ft or so. he wants to use the big grodan cubes 4 to a tray 2 trays (ebb/flow) The main question is how big would you go with the lights? i told him if he ran dual air cooled 600's he may be ok so long as he purchased a big exhuast fan. The only flaw i see is that he wants to pull the air through a scrubber then through both lights then out of the closet. If he had a ac duct being dumped into the closet and a pretty good size fan do you think he will have issues with heat?

Obviously yield and quality is very important.. YES i said yield, deal with it.

ok 2ft x 6.5 ft is 13 sq ft
which will require 65000 lumens
so 1 600 will do the job ,,i think it would be 2 difficult to keep the temps down with 2 600
i take it its 6.5ft high so where on earth would he put the airduct along with the lights fans and plants :confused2:

what if both the fan and ballasts were located say in the attic? do you think that would free up enough heat to keep them comfortable? if not i quess he could run dual 400's but 600's would really be the way to go. the room is long and narrow so what ever light setup he goes with their will be 2

I always pull my air through my light and scrubber.

saw 1500 cfm fan at home depot for 75 bucks i may just use that to pull all the air

Those inline duct booster fans have a decent CFM unless you constrict the intake. I put an 8" in my 36 sqft room just for auxillary air flow. Everything was fine until I shut the grow room door--the fan went down to about 1/3 the rpm it started up with. It sounded like my can fan was going to make it start running backwards with the door closed. Open the door, it fires back up--close the door, it goes back to stress level. I won't run it unless I'm around and the door to my room is open a tad--I've got a pocket door on the room. JMO.

I suggested that he draw air from another room in order to equalize the pressure and have a steady flow of cold air. i suggested he use a false a/c vent in the next room and just use a fan pulling air from that room and dumping it into the closet that he will be growing in. what do you think?

I can honestly say that if you put 2 600watters in a closet that size you will have heat issues. Need cooled hoods or cool-tubes. That small space, he'd be better off with cool-tubes I'm guessing.

The smaller the space, obviously the more heat problems you will have. I'd vent the lites and add an auxillary exhaust. Just keep that cool house air moving across the plants.

highman said:
saw 1500 cfm fan at home depot for 75 bucks i may just use that to pull all the air

1500? you sure? 12" can fans are rated at 1300cfm and those run $350-400. I have a 12" inline at 1060cfm and that is too powerful to run on 8" ducting - it crushes the ducting, and I have to run air thru 8 8" 1000W hoods so I use a 8" inline with 8" duct booster.

For your setup with 2 600W I would use an 8" inline at about 740cfm and split into 2 ducts, one drawing air thru the hoods and one drawing air thru the room, and have a passive cold air intake for each. If its still too hot, add a duct booster fan or small inline at the beginning of the cold air intake.

If you want HUGE YIELD and QUALITY, seal the closet airtight. cool the hoods with an inline fan. hang a small AC, small carbon scrubber, and Co2 tank above the lights. An inline fan connected to the scrubber will take care of air circulation in the grow room.

yeah the hoods will be sealed up and having cold air pass through them. THe mian question is what would be more efficient.

option 1. pulling air from the spare bedroom for an intake, as for exhuast i will use a 1000-1500 cfm fan to pull the (hopefully 73-74 deg) air through a scrubber and then through my lights finaly ending outside.

option 2. use a seperate fans for cooling the light/main exhuast/intake

i like option 1 better cheaper on the electric bill less fan less noise less hassle i just hope that a 1000-1500 cfm will remove the hot air rapidly enough.. quess we will just have to wait and see
option 2.

greenfriend said:
1500? you sure? 12" can fans are rated at 1300cfm and those run $350-400. I have a 12" inline at 1060cfm and that is too powerful to run on 8" ducting - it crushes the ducting, and I have to run air thru 8 8" 1000W hoods so I use a 8" inline with 8" duct booster.

For your setup with 2 600W I would use an 8" inline at about 740cfm and split into 2 ducts, one drawing air thru the hoods and one drawing air thru the room, and have a passive cold air intake for each. If its still too hot, add a duct booster fan or small inline at the beginning of the cold air intake.

If you want HUGE YIELD and QUALITY, seal the closet airtight. cool the hoods with an inline fan. hang a small AC, small carbon scrubber, and Co2 tank above the lights. An inline fan connected to the scrubber will take care of air circulation in the grow room.

1540 cfm for 75.99 and 1600 for 98 somethign

the closet will be air tight and hoods sealed. Greenfriend you and me are on the same page with the ducting routes i think the split into two would be best 1 for the lights and 1 for the scrubber. hopefully the smell stays down and lights keep cool with that spilt

highman said:
1540 cfm for 75.99 and 1600 for 98 somethign

This is a pipe dream. Those Home Depot fans will not pull that much with a 0 static pressure.

BuddyLuv said:
This is a pipe dream. Those Home Depot fans will not pull that much with a 0 static pressure.

well thats what it says.. I probably wont use it though im gonna go with a 750-850 cfm inline and split the ducts into 2 section 1 for the scrubber and 1 for the lights

Latest posts

Back