what size hps for flowering room

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

msge

Reaction score
I am making a 2.2 wide by 4 long by 7 ft tall room

what size hps light should i get to grow as much (4-6 plant hopefully )

don't even have that many plants yet just gearing the room up to be ready

Well, if it's an inline aircooled hood you could go w/ as high as a 600, but I'd stick w/ a 400 watts hps w/ rigging to variate the vertical height. I use a 400watt hps for vegging and 1st 2weeks of bloom and switch to my 1kw w/ an RV bathroom exhaust fan as my extractor.

msge said:
I am making a 2.2 wide by 4 long by 7 ft tall room

what size hps light should i get to grow as much (4-6 plant hopefully )

don't even have that many plants yet just gearing the room up to be ready
Optimum lighting with an HPS in that area is easy to calculate:

5,000 lumens per/sq ft of area is preferred.

3,000 lumens per/sq ft is the least you would want to have.

You have 2.2 ft by 4 feet.

2.2 x 4 = 8.8 sq ft

8.8 times 5,000 = 44,000 lumens total needed.

You could use three 150 watt HPS, one 400 watt HPS, or several other combinations that would add up to the total needed.

POTUS said:
Optimum lighting with an HPS in that area is easy to calculate:

5,000 lumens per/sq ft of area is preferred.

3,000 lumens per/sq ft is the least you would want to have.

You have 2.2 ft by 4 feet.

2.2 x 4 = 8.8 sq ft

8.8 times 5,000 = 44,000 lumens total needed.

You could use three 150 watt HPS, one 400 watt HPS, or several other combinations that would add up to the total needed.
Yeah, but w/ sufficient air exchange you could always use more lumens, that formula is for minimums. My math works like this more lumens w/less heat = MORE GANJA!!! woot woot!

600 is what i looked at, and was thinking of the best way to keep it cool

they have a 1000 watt switchable for $189 could you use a 600 watt bulb in that till i get a bigger grow space next year

nope bulb has to match ballast. 1kw better go with aircooled. I'd go with a 600W aircooled with a digital ballast if ya can swing it. 3-4 plants 400W would work just fine. 1kw would be overkill for that closet IMO

I have a space just a bit bigger than yours and use a 400w with just a fan to keep it cool in there. If I went any higher in wattage I'd have to use a cooltube or something to keep temps down.

As for number of plants I just flowered 8 and pulled 300g dried weight.

7greeneyes said:
Yeah, but w/ sufficient air exchange you could always use more lumens, that formula is for minimums. My math works like this more lumens w/less heat = MORE GANJA!!! woot woot!
It's a matter of returns vs. investment. If you have 5,000 lumens per/sq ft, you've maxed out the amount of weed per/sq ft per/dollar spent. If you want more weed after that, start another grow room with 5,000 lumens per/sq ft again. You'll have 95% more weed than the room where you used more than 5,000 lumens per/sq ft.

I don't think that light is anywhere near maxed out at 5000 lumens per square foot, infact a 400 will only give you around 45 or 46 watts per square foot. I myself am more of a watt/ sq ft guy and I would always aim for atleast 50 watts during flowering. Even that is just recommended, while light does get maxed, IMO it is not anywhere close to at these levels. IMO, it totally depends on your conditions, experience and environment.

massproducer said:
I don't think that light is anywhere near maxed out at 5000 lumens per square foot, infact a 400 will only give you around 45 or 46 watts per square foot. I myself am more of a watt/ sq ft guy and I would always aim for atleast 50 watts during flowering. Even that is just recommended, while light does get maxed, IMO it is not anywhere close to at these levels. IMO, it totally depends on your conditions, experience and environment.
Of course it isn't maxed out. Natural sunlight is WAY the hell brighter.

However, as I said, you use whatever you want in lumens per/sq ft up to a trillion and I'll use 5,000 lumens per/sq ft in each room I have. Every time you reach another 5,000 lumens, I'll start another grow room using ONLY 5,000 lumens. When it's all said and done, I'll have more weed than you will and mine will be just as good.

Watch my lips: Dollar for lumen, 5,000 lumens per/sq ft is the best bang for the buck. Any more than 5,000 and your return will drop on each dollar spent.

Sorry guys, this isn't up for debate. It's fact. If you like, we can run a little bet on it and do grows. You use 10,000 lumens in your grow room and I'll use two rooms with 5,000. When it's over, I'll have 95% more weed than you will and it'll be just as good as yours.

That's the REST of the story.

Stoney i would love to know where you get this "information", the amount of light a plant can absorb and use is directly corrolated by the amount of CO2, water and nutrients. This is proven, this is why people add CO2, more light and more more water.

5000 lumens is merely a base point and is the minimum recommended amount of light, this has nothing to do with the best bang for the buck... This doesn't mean that going over 5000 lumens is wasting light above the 5000 lumens mark. I have really never ever heard this before right now. Please quote something stating what you are saying, or else this is really just your opinion.

massproducer said:
Stoney i would love to know where you get this "information", the amount of light a plant can absorb and use is directly corrolated by the amount of CO2, water and nutrients. This is proven, this is why people add CO2, more light and more more water.

5000 lumens is merely a base point and is the minimum recommended amount of light, this has nothing to do with the best bang for the buck... This doesn't mean that going over 5000 lumens is wasting light above the 5000 lumens mark. I have really never ever heard this before right now. Please quote something stating what you are saying, or else this is really just your opinion.
That's because you're arguing instead of thinking about what I've said.

You grow ONE room with 10,000 lumens per/sq ft.

I'll grow TWO rooms the same size each as your ONE room and I'll use only 5,000 lumens per/sq ft.

When we're done with our harvest and curing, I'll have 195% of the weed you'll have.

It's that simple.

Now quit arguing with me about something so simple man.

What are you talking about stoney, you are speaking in definitave terms regarding something that you can not prove and that scientifically makes no sense.

Why do plants grown outside grow bigger and yield more stoney??? Would it happen to be because of the simple fact that they are recieving a lot more light.

Like I said to you in my last post... Don't just say something because you believe it, why don't you provide some evidence of what you are saying because EVERYTHING i see point to the contrary.

massproducer said:
What are you talking about stoney, you are...
Dude, you're not understanding.

I'm not talking about how much light a plant can use.

Would you just quit arguing long enough to read what I'm saying?

Here you are man, by the numbers:

1. YOU have one room.

2. That room is 5 feet long and 5 feet wide.

3. You use enough light to provide 10,000 lumens for each square foot in your room.

4. You grow your entire crop.

5. You harvest your entire crop.

6. You weigh your crop after it has cured.

Ok, now I'm going to describe MY rooms.

1. I have two rooms.

2. Each of MY rooms are 5 feet long and 5 feet wide.

3. I use enough light to provide 5,000 lumens for each square foot in my rooms.

4. I grow my entire crop.

5. I harvest my entire crop.

6. I weigh my crop after it has cured.

7. For each pound of weed you have, I'll have produced 195% that amount, using the same amount of electricity that you have.

Now, if all you're going to do is argue with me over this very simple concept, then you're not understanding what I'm saying.

YOU keep referring to how much light a plant can use.

THAT is NOT what I'm talking about!

Please quit this pointless arguing.

If you're going to argue, then at least argue about the same concept that I'm talking about.

If you're going to argue about this again, then tell me what line of the above argument you're referring too and disagreeing with.

buy ONE ballast...make it a big one.....a 1000w HPS w/cooltube will be fine in that room...just ventilate accordingly......cram every lumen you can into that room..grow em' big, fat and stinky...some people tend to make it more complicated than it really is....

What we are talking about is how much light a plant can use... That is what this is all about...

The problem i have is that you are pulling totally random numbers from the air and using them to try and make a point, which I am still strying to figure out what that point is.

Here is the facts:

a 400 watt H.I.D covers a max area of 2.5 - 3" X 2.5 - 3" - which equals a max area of 9 square feet. That is a minimal like recommendation, not the max but the minimum. How we are talking about an area of 8.8 square feet. That seems like it is borderline minimun too me, while you are contesting that this is the optimal lighting and anything above this is basically over kill. That is simply not true and if you do some research you can very easily find this information.

Another thing just pulled from the air is this 10,000 lumens, who ever said anything about using 10,000 lumens???? I mean besides you.

This conversation is 100% about how much light plants can use EFFECIENTLY. In the real world, not some cooked up senerio of using 10,000 lumens.

Also if my conditions permitted me using 10,000 lumens, it would actually be wonderful, but unfortunately heat, CO2 and water would more then likely become a problem because of the plants excellerated grow and would basically be too hard to control. But yes more intensity is better then less intensity, especially when it comes to yeild.

"For each pound of weed you have, I'll have produced 195% that amount, using the same amount of electricity that you have."

Like where do you come up with figures like this? Please prove them with some something that I can reference

The thing that you neglect to recognise is that in my very first post I stated that light can get maxed out, but that point is far from the minimum recomenneded amount of light for flowering.

By the way the 2500-3000 lumens that you quoted as the minimum recomennedation is for plants that are vegging, not flowering. which in my world or watts / sq ft = to about 25 watts per square foot.

massproducer said:
What we are talking about is how much light a plant can use... That is what this is all about...
No, it is not.

That's enough of this baloney.

Go bother someone else.

massproducer said:
"For each pound of weed you have, I'll have produced 195% that amount, using the same amount of electricity that you have."

Like where do you come up with figures like this? Please prove them with some something that I can reference
If you truly can't figure that out, then it's pointless to continue discussing it with you.

If someone else would like to explain this to him, please feel free to do so.

I've had enough of this.

once again you said nothing, you provided no information, this is basically another molasses thread, why don't you go and call your buddy again maybe he can explain simple logic too you

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back