What'd I do wrong?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KaptainKronic

StonedIsTheWayOfTheWalk
Reaction score
Ok, I've germinated 5 seeds in a wet paper towel. once they were ready I put them in 2"x2" Rockwool cubes. I dug a little hole in the top and put some coconut fiber that I got from the hydro store, then put the seed,(sprout facing up), and put a thin layer of coconut fiber on top of that, they have been in a tray for about 8 days now and I've been watering them with a solution of Superthrive and 6.5 ph water. I have 2 - 26w cfl's putting out 3,300 lumens total in a 2'x2'x1' space lined with mylar and nothing has happened yet.....am I doing something wrong or do I need to just be a little more patient?

They may still turn right side up, give it some time.

I just put the seed sprout down in hole of the rockwool cube, no need for coco fibre IMO.

Thanks guys.....will carefully turn the seeds over. I've also taken some pics just now will post them in a little while cuz I gotta pick up the kids from school. The reason I used the coconut fiber was because I was trying this new method that my buddy hazewarrior showed me. there's a thread by him in the Germinating Techiques section of the forum. I would put the link in this post but I have yet to figure out how to do that...:confused2:...I have what I need to add another cfl to the mix and make it 3 which would bump it up to 4950 lumens, or is it cool where it's at? Thanks again guys.

It doesnt matter until you have some leaves then I would add all that you have.

Growdude said:
It doesnt matter until you have some leaves then I would add all that you have.

Yup, what Growdude said is right, however I like to have a light on them anyway because it helps keep the rockwool warm. The two 26 watts should be fine for that.

On your watering, I would stop using superthrive after the first watering and use a PH of 5.5, not 6.5. Also, only water when the cube is dry on the outside. You want the cube moist, not sopping wet and not bone dry.

They may still turn right side up, give it some time.
It's called geotropism ... the way a plant responds to gravity. No matter how the seed is planted ... the shoot will always grow up and the root will always grow down.

The very same as the way it will always grow towards light and water (phototropism and hydrotropism)

Well thanks guys...youv'e answered my questions and some how managed to answer a couple more before I even asked them...:cool2:...Well here are the pics I promised, and thanks again.

DSC00775.JPG

DSC00776.JPG

DSC00777.JPG

DSC00778.JPG

Latest posts

Back