When is it right?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

unogrowdude

Reaction score
I've had many grows, and this is a first for me. I'm only 5 weeks from germanation, plants are 12 inches tall and are showing preflowers on consecutive nodes. Now understand that most of them are feminized, but I've never had them show this early and be this tall. I usaualy go until 8 weeks and around 1ft tall,thats been the rule of thumb that I've always followed. Learned that form Jorge Cervantes' and HighTimes. What I'm wondering is should I switch them over to 12/12 or go to the 8 weeks as usual.They are on 18/6 right now in the grow tent. I'm afarid that if I go the full 8weeks they might get to tall in the fruiting room which is a closet with limited height. Anybody have any suggestions?:confused:

If they hve shown preflowers already then they can go into 12/12 anytime you like and start budding up...if you want to veg them more then try topping them or using lst on them...they will most likely double and might even triple in size when done flowering....

i'm with Hamster on this one.... i'd go ahead and flip them to 12/12 since they showed you their pre's....

FIVE WEEKS and only 12" tall :confused2:
Why?

flip to 12/12...what strain are these? maybe a dwarf auto? take care and be safe

Flowered my blue widow just a little over..um 12 inches and she...hold on..(cough) is dooing fine in the pipe!

Yep. I agree with Hamster. In the end, size of plant is what matters not how long it took to get there. All that matters is it got there. (having said that sometimes i left mine go to 15", just depends on the plant and amount of room i have to flower in)

Just a general, related question

If you leave them in veg for longer, they will get bigger, but will produce more bud? It seems that if the yield would increase, why not get as big of canopy you can?

growbuddy said:

If you leave them in veg for longer, they will get bigger, but will produce more bud? It seems that if the yield would increase, why not get as big of canopy you can?

A lot of us grow indoors and hve space limitations....

:yeahthat:
Every breed is different but no matter what they explode when they go into flower and grow ridiculous amounts, so ya gotta have the room. You can veg some breeds like a bush for longer but not all breeds do well like that.
A scrog takes quite a bit longer to veg but it's a true canopy of buds. Working on one now. I'm pretty excited..

growbuddy said:

Yuppers!

I prefer long veg periods and 10gal pots under my 1K... With the right strain I pull close to a half elbow per pot... Contrast that with my seedling 'test grows' that I flower at around 5-6 weeks in 2gal pots and they average about a zip and a half to two zips... but I can fit lots more of them in there... So most of the time it's 6 of one vs a half dozen of the other imho... It comes down to your grow space, your light's penetration capability, and what style of growing suits you best. The good news is that all works!

Happy Growing!:cool:

Hamster Lewis said:
If they hve shown preflowers already then they can go into 12/12 anytime you like and start budding up...if you want to veg them more then try topping them or using lst on them...they will most likely double and might even triple in size when done flowering....
I've read that if you start them to flower to early it will effect the total development of the plant. Think I'll just train the tops until my fruiting room is empty.

Dirty, I'm always likeing what your typing! you should have been a writer, but I'm reading what your writing so I guess that makes you a writer try typing that as fast as you can 3 times, try typing try typing try typing that 3 x as fast as you can. You make a simple thing interesting!

and if they are showing pre flowers then it isn't early...the only reason to wait now is for more weight later.

I agree that if you let them veg right it will only make the final outcome grow to it's best possible result. :)

Latest posts

Back