WHen to flower?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tkdman

Reaction score
Hi all

Is there a "rule of thumb" when it comes to when to put the plants to flower?

Thanks

T-Man

There is no rule of thumb when it comes to flowering. Seeds can be put under 12/12 light from day 1 and produce superb results. The traditional method is to wait until the plant shows "alternating nodes"

After reading some stuff by SpeesCees my opinion has completley changed. Next grow I will be going 12/12 from day 1.

Peace Runbyhemp :)

I have alternating nodes on branches and the girls are about 12 - 14 inches in height...

Im just curious if I should give em another week or two.

T-Man

They are ready to flower now. The longer you leave it, the bigger the plant will become.

tkdman said:
Is there a "rule of thumb" when it comes to when to put the plants to flower?
In a way there is. It depends on how tall you want your plants to be at harvest time.

The plants will DOUBLE in height at a minimum, between the time you turn your lights to 12/12 and when you harvest. Some even TRIPLE in height.

So, calculate how tall your ceiling is and how much space you have left for the plants to grow in. Flower them when they will grow to a safe height if they were doubled.

Good luck!

Wow, they look super nice and healthy. You have been doing a great job it seems. Keep up the good work.

:yeahthat: I agree with TheSticky, beautiful looking plants :aok:

Thank you very much - this is my first grow, this forum has been extremely helpful..

SHould I do anything right now other than change the light sched?

Thanks again everyone

T-Man

Well, when budding starts you will want to back off the nitrogen and give more phosphorous. But, for now just change the lights and watch 'em grow. They will probably stretch pretty good for the first week adjusting to not getting 24 hour light so don't worry.

i agree with tdk this forum is so useful for first time growers like us!!!!!!!!

Runbyhemp said:
There is no rule of thumb when it comes to flowering. Seeds can be put under 12/12 light from day 1 and produce superb results. The traditional method is to wait until the plant shows "alternating nodes"

After reading some stuff by SpeesCees my opinion has completley changed. Next grow I will be going 12/12 from day 1.

Peace Runbyhemp :)

how does that work if u put it on 12/12 wouldnt bud from DAY 1.EXPLAIN!

Not much to explain HYDRO333. After about 2 weeks plants will start showing sex. Growing in this manner will result in a single cola grow, there will be very little lateral branching.
It means that your turnaround is a few weeks quicker than vegging it first.
You can also fit more plants in the same space.

I'll be starting my next grow in the next week or so and will be trying 12/12. You are welcome to follow my progress (or failure) :)

the only detrimental thing that will be affected,is yeild. if you go streight to flower with no veg, you`ll get less bud than if you veged for even a week.
look in the picture gallery, as E-man has some pics there of a clone flowered with no veg.
Elephant man has not been spending so much time with us recently:fid: :stuff-1125699181_i_ :lama: we hope he`ll be back soon, he is the "master of organics" and is greatly missed. maybe it`s his:angrywife: stopping him from seeing the dudes,lol.

From what I have read you are better going 12/12 from seed.

Yield is not less. 85% of your harvest comes from the main cola anyway. You fit more plants in the same space and you get more crops per year.

If anything you will have higher yield :)

i disagree dude, it stands to reason that a bigger,more mature female will produce more bud than streight 12/12 from seed. go to the gallery man and you can see pics of seed which were put on 12-12, no veg and the end result.

I'll step in and clear up what this disagreement is about.

Per/Plant
Yes, if you grow a plant longer in the vegetative cycle, the plant will be larger and produce more bud than one grown on a 12/12 cycle from seed.

Per/Crop
Yes, if you grow a grow room FULL of small plants that are grown from seed with a 12/12 light cycle, you'll have more efficient use of your space in terms of the numbers of main colas. However, the weight of both methods will be almost the same.

You guys are discussing two completely separate types of growing.

In the Per/Plant method, you'll end up with a few VERY LARGE colas that weigh "X". In the Per/Crop method, you'll end up with many smaller main colas that add up to weight "X" with the same total weight in both rooms.

It is correct that you can get more crops per/year with the Per/Crop method and thus get more weight per/year.

However, look at it this way; Since you are growing for only personal use, massive weight isn't real important here. I grow three pounds of weed per/year for my own stash. That includes enough weed to give away to many people who have neither the means to grow it or the good health to even think of growing it. I don't sell ANY. I simply give it away until it's gone. I keep enough of each strain so that *I* don't run out before the next crop is finished, otherwise, it would be kinda dumb.

Because of my age, lots of my friends are also older. Lots of them now smoke weed or are eating Stoneys cookies. It helps them with their body pain and also lets them keep more of their own money to enjoy their lives.

Let's all help others by GIVING away your excess weed. You'll make a lot of people very happy.

If anyone is selling weed by using this site, you're lost. Go away. That's not what this site is all about.

<Stoney climbs back off his soap box>

Thanks everyone.

:stoned: well said Stoney:goodposting: :lama:

Latest posts

Back