When to transplant

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KGBSkunky

Reaction score
I got one runt Sour Diesel from day one but the Northern Lights, White Widow and Gorilla Skittles seem to be doing ok. So what’s the rule of thumb on when to transplant? Gotta be one

Attachments

• B6BCCC58-FCAC-4224-BEE1-608336C8135F.jpeg
    B6BCCC58-FCAC-4224-BEE1-608336C8135F.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 0
I got one runt Sour Diesel from day one but the Northern Lights, White Widow and Gorilla Skittles seem to be doing ok. So what’s the rule of thumb on when to transplant? Gotta be one
They look almost ready to me
The runt will come around just a slow starter,
I look at the bottom of the pot to see if roots are growing out all over but not over crowding.
When they start shooting out I put her in large pot

Not yet, you just put them in there. Maybe two more weeks when they grow a little more. You want to have a good root structure when you transplant them so it doesn’t a fall apart

If they had been in there from seed I would transplant they soon but they are not, oh well

Last edited:
My rule of thumb for transplant is when the plant is as big or a little bigger than the container. So a little while yet on those

It’s actually planted in one of these that is resting inside the solo cup and is configured to auto water. Notice the dark color of the promix. While I did just water it stays that color slightly moist 24/7. I already have plans for a 2.0 version.

But I do agree it needs a week or two more. So I will transplant then carefully remove the tops so I get two main colas.

Attachments

• 14C19E13-2451-4527-9689-89DE508BAE18.jpeg
    14C19E13-2451-4527-9689-89DE508BAE18.jpeg
    53 KB · Views: 0
Not yet, you just put them in there. Maybe two more weeks when they grow a little more. You want to have a good root structure when you transplant them so it doesn’t a fall apart
Actually I put a ring on top of the original container to put more potting mix in because I didn’t figure in the additional inch. My 2.0 seed starting containers will take that into account. Sorry for the confusion

Right now I am starting to see the results I am looking for….or they may be about to drop from root rot. Can’t wait to see which way it goes

Actually I put a ring on top of the original container to put more potting mix in because I didn’t figure in the additional inch. My 2.0 seed starting containers will take that into account. Sorry for the confusion

Right now I am starting to see the results I am looking for….or they may be about to drop from root rot. Can’t wait to see which way it goes
Root rot?

My plants love dry feet in between waterings. They seem to have an extra boost when they get water growing even faster more so than when they always have wet roots. They also take up the nutrients and respond to them quicker. I know some do auto watering and wick systems etc but it’s just not for me. I’ve over watered to many times slowing down my grow.

Part of my experiment is to see what happens if I make sure all water is drained but force the constant retention of just enough moisture so it doesn’t go dry. Reading a ton of pros and cons on this issue I concluded that wet is bad fluffy medium with just a hint of water could be what I am looking for.

So right now I give the plants one watering every other day and they seem to be healthy. I call that low maintenance and what I am looking for.

Transplant was successful. From now on when I first see roots at the bottom of the planter transplant occurs. I also transplanted them wet for zero transplant shock. Worked perfect not even a tiny droop

To make the transplant I held the planter in one hand and trimmed the bottom of the cup off supporting it with one finger. Then I slit the planter up one side. It makes it easy to drop intact into a planting hole. Just wiggle it up while gently pressing the soil inside with your fingers.

Attachments

• 806855C2-5A26-4C44-B425-82DA5E8D8231.jpeg
    806855C2-5A26-4C44-B425-82DA5E8D8231.jpeg
    4.1 MB · Views: 0
I do the final transplant about 3 weeks before i flip. I can allow them to be a little bit rootbound before but never want to have that during flowering.

Transplant was successful. From now on when I first see roots at the bottom of the planter transplant occurs. I also transplanted them wet for zero transplant shock. Worked perfect not even a tiny droop

To make the transplant I held the planter in one hand and trimmed the bottom of the cup off supporting it with one finger. Then I slit the planter up one side. It makes it easy to drop intact into a planting hole. Just wiggle it up while gently pressing the soil inside with your fingers.
What’s under that plastic sheet?

Latest posts

Back