Which cloner seems to be the best?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would certainly not knock the coco an cubes method that Zia mentioned as it sounds like it would work quite well. My only concern with that method is the cubes wicking up too much water from the coco without the added benefit of real good aeration. However, the open container of coco may aerate well enough to offset the wicking, so I don't know. I just love doing stuff in hydro, and the control it offers. I love lifting the lid after a week and seeing them pretty white roots growing everywhere while the bubbles churn beneath it. It looks so alive :)

Hey Growdude; if you do break it out and try my method, or both methods in comparison, let us know how it works so that everyone can be certain of it one way or the other. :)

Yea but that split window coupe brings how much at auction NOW compared to an 85?

LOL

Just saying ;)

A bubble cloner fan here cuz they are so cheap and work great.

Less IS more.

Big rapid rooter fan here hammy ... But I've been cloning in rockwool lately cuz I got a crap load of it for dirt cheap off Craigslist.

** MAJOR EDIT **

Refer to this link to see the cloner. I took the pics from here and moved: http://www.marijuanapassion.com/forum/showthread.php?t=67089

Here's some pics of the cloner I made for about $45.00. You can buy everything nearly anywhere. This is a 30 site cloner, and so far I've got 13 of the 22 to spout loads of roots and then I've already transplanted and dealt with those 13. Before the bubble cloner, I couldn't clone for poo. I did the exact same method as I did before, with the bubble cloner. Method before was clone dome and Rapid Rooter's with Clonex Gel.

Method:

Get a low branch; Snip - Find leaf node; Slice flush - Below leaf node; 45° razor cut - Take razor and scrap around the lower portion - Dip in Clonex Gel - Pick a site.

I cut a 10 gal Rubbermaid tote with 30 holes the size of pipe insulation. I had cut "pucks" out of the pipe insulation.. 1/2 inch diameter inside hole, 2" outer (?) Then I use use air pump with 2 airstones (14" ones) and a little 10-30 gal heater to make sure temp of water doesn't drop. Do the method then find a site and just drop it in. The lower fan leaves will hold it in place. I filled with with about 6-7 gal of water. You want the water to just submerge the stems....but as long as you have a good bubble going from the airstones, you're good. I also use General Hydroponics Rapid Start rooting enhancer in my water. I PH my water to about 6.0 .... but there's LOADS of debate on that one.

The last pic shows some clones about 1 week after transplant into 1 gal pots.

I'm just putting this up here to show you my bubble cloner, and I just can not justify purchasing an expensive one for nearly no reason. I'm not commercial.

*EDIT*
I was sure that I had got pics with the root masses underneath, but alas.. it looks like I flubbed! The root masses were huge! Larger than golf balls and less than baseballs. Also, I'm sure some of you may have noticed, I forgot to "tip" my leaves on my clones... tipping is thought to help the clone throw roots and stop vegging. Also, it helps airation around the clones, and not have a fan flipping them around like crazy. I had wished I did it, but I got more than I needed to take anyways :D

Nice Dr.....In agree with you. I built mine for less than 40 bucks and it was very easy to put together. No way would I spend the kinda coin they want for the commercial ones.

For sure. I am all about technology. Those that have seen my grows would likely say that i am a techno mechno geek in fact. So no worries there.
I think what I was after was to introduce a method not mentioned, however should or could be considered by those that are not familiar with it.
I would add though that I too have used both aero and bubbler cloning systems (DIY) that worked great. i.e.. root set of 80% or better within 9 days or less with consistent results, but as mentioned after looking at cleaning time and direct costs associated with a more mechanized system one might like to explore the basic method for this phase of our process. Oh and the basic method is easily on par with the more technical.
As for the cubes wicking too much it's just the opposite. The coco allows way more air up and under the cubes and therefore the cube can never really hold too much moisture. I should say that the coco when placed into the tray is not all that wet. I ring dry by hand fist.

That sounds like a fairly easy setup and I do love coco :D

Latest posts

Back