Why not use MG

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Funny ive used MG soils for every grow till this one and only problems ive seen is a slight burn when transplanted from top soil (seedlings) to MG (vegglings) and then it was never more than a few fans and only slight as i said. oh and you shouldnt use any MG product if your planing on not having a grow that lasts LESS than 3 months as it says on the bag feeds for up to 3 months, i have noticed that it will feed longer too sometimes. MG can be great to grow with but you do have to follow a few simpe rules to have it work in your favor, 1) pre-rinse it: if you get the bag flush it right off this will help get all the time release N pellets broken open 2) NEVER feed your vegging plants any extra nutes while using an MG soil: any extra N in there and they will go deficant during flower to fight that if it happens dose your flowering nutes with a half dose of N (10-0-0) 3) P-K are low in MG products so if you plan on using it through flower youll want to use something in combination with it, i use a 0-10-10 during flower after 2 weeks in. As it pertains to how MG can make your pot taste, that is where your flush and dry out period comes into account, you have to flush 2-3 weeks before harvest, then let if dry out totally im talking bone dry and cracking dirt, this will get all the water out of the main stem of the pant and force it to use all the leftover nutes in it and the last leaves, IMproper drying and curing will also give your smoke a bad taste and ive known a few who tried to attribute it to MG soil but later found out that it was a hydro grow that was done wrong. If you messed up and IMO it sounds like you did if your flushed for 15 days then you cant blame it on the soil, you have to put the blame on yourself.

This was my personal experience. No hard feelings taken at all from some of the posts. I just wanted others to know what happened to my grow.

For newbies, MG is not the way to go. MG is too powerful with the NUT's for a newbie to figure out IMO.

You're right Slowmo FF is made with nutes too, but it usually only lasts for 3 weeks or so and it's organics, less chance of burn and not so strong. I use FF Light Warrior for seeds, seedlings etc. But MG is strong and the time release can be a factor. But in the end is all what you are comfortable with. My "mentor" also known as my brother used MG for years and he did fine most of the time. It's all good. And if anyone wants to see some plants grown with MJ I think slowmo did fine with it. Just takes some practice that's all. Learning curve with everything IMO, you should have seen me trying coco in the begining LOL.

Dub_j said:
I've been using MG 20-20-20 fertilizer, and the plants that have survived look beautiful, should i stop using it?

If you like it and it's working just use it, don't listen to everyone else if you think it's working.

And I do think that people can use MG Soil from VEG to Flower. I am personally a noob. And I admit it. But I did allot of research and also got a ton of info from Snuggles. And as a noob, I did not do well. I did not mean to tell everyone that MG is BAD . I just think that it is for a more advanced user. So for a beginner like me with tons of reading, it did not work well.

Im talking about fertilizer, not soil... most people will agree that soil with the time released nutes arent good because you cant control how much and how often they recieve what... but as far as ferts.. the Mg is fine for veg..no good for flower(cause of the chemicals) IMO;)

monkerz said:
And I do think that people can use MG Soil from VEG to Flower. I am personally a noob. And I admit it. But I did allot of research and also got a ton of info from Snuggles. And as a noob, I did not do well. I did not mean to tell everyone that MG is BAD . I just think that it is for a more advanced user. So for a beginner like me with tons of reading, it did not work well.

You really think you did that bad? Hey some never harvest on their first grow. I bet you did fine, next time will be better and then the next even better...we all have bad grows even the experienced guys/gals trust me on that. Just step away from the WW for a bit and then come back to it after it dries more, how long has it been drying for BTW?

:eek:I'm on my 2nd grow now. When I started I wanted to keep it as simple as possible and I didn't know any better. I thought all the mixing of bat and worm dodo is too complicated for a newbie so I got the MG Moisture Control Potting Soil. Besides, there are any grow shops near me only Lowes.

I used it as soon as the seeds sprouted. Didn't see any ill effects. So far I guess I've had beginners luck. I've also been using MG All purpose and Bloom Booster.

I'm not an expert, far from it, but I think the end product results for me anyway were very satisfying.

IMG_0021.JPG

Looks good, a little burn here and there but that could be from so many things, and it's no biggie IMO. I'm sure you did good too, I know some new gardeners get frustrated, if you had a harvest what's the problem right?

I dried it for 1 week. Hung in dark closet for 4 days, then 2 days of brown bag and a day of the Jar.

The buz is good, just taste like doo doo .

It might improve a bit, is it still wet? Hard to light up? if so it could be that it's not quite ready.

It's dry. I will just mix it with my next batch of medicine.

Hello all...here are a few things that most people don't know about MG...First of all i have worked in the fert and dirt industries most of the wood product that is in MG are crushed pallets...Now on these pallets there can be anything from acids, oils, unknown chems and any number of things that can be carried on a pallet lets just say ALOT of unknowns...also the quality control of the chemical fert that is put into the mix is not of sound control...Now they do have a system but not a very good one the fert is mixed in by X amount of fert and X amount of dirt this is mixed then stock piled...After the pile has set for X amount of time then it is bagged and stored when this is bagged it is brought in by a loader put into a hopper bagged sent out and sold...They have no ideal how much fert is in a bag of MG so some bags are hot and some are weak but it's not really the fert you need to worry about as it is what unknowns that are also in there...But IMO anything that is BLUE and not organic should never go into our systems whether it be in our food or our buds...well take care all....

i think the blue room water is prolly better at least it will contain sum orcanics ;)

Sir_Tokie said:
.First of all i have worked in the fert and dirt industries most of the wood product that is in MG are crushed pallets...Now on these pallets there can be anything from acids, oils, unknown chems and any number of things that can be carried on a pallet lets just say ALOT of unknowns.

Very interesting and makes sense.

I dug 3 ft deep by 5ft x 5ft filled it up with MicleGrow Moister Control just to find out that FFOF is better. A good newbie mistake learned costly.

Excellent opinions and observations...
here are mine...
MG.....some years, previous to getting a medical recomendation...the husband used the stuff to grow a single clone here. The plant always looked good, sometimes it would get burned, as he likes to do things in a big way......and well big means more is best. i looked on concerned as the plant would struggle thru the flushings it required, to get past the burn. i was always amazed at how hardey the MJ plant was and how it stood those "on the edge of madness" amounts of MG he would feed the poor girl. When it came time to harvest..flushing was done for a few days, not near enough in my opinion.....................and after a good (by the book) cure....the bud looked fine, smoked fine (meaning is lite and stayed lit), and tasted awful.

At the end of the grow season, i always bought an ounce and peacefully smoked it. He always said it was a great high.....i personally could not get past the taste. Now we are mostly organic....tho he continues to amaze me in the garden. The Miracle Grow is gathering dust.....and the pot i harvested last year was as organicly grown as i could get it. I smoke it and get ripped. His last harvset of the MG bud is sitting in bags......somewhere in one of his drawers.

From what i am reading here...it must be in the two week flush.....that will get that nasty taste gone.
just my two cents above...
good luck...and good growing

Dub_j said:
I've been using MG 20-20-20 fertilizer, and the plants that have survived look beautiful, should i stop using it?

If your a new grower like me, then I personaly would until you learn more. I have had a legal garden for years and do very well. But my medical garden was a bit more challenging.

I would hate others to go through what I did. So just wanted to tell my experience.

Also that post from Sir_Tokie scares me a bit. Not knowing what crap was on the pallets. And I picture this also. MG wants to save money and get cheap wood. Makes sense.

Latest posts

Back