Tent Growers Club....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
www.discount hydroponics.com i got mine there 2 years ago still in great shape couple of small holes but i taped them with black tape overall pretty cheap sometimes they have specils and a wide selection to choose from i buy alot of my stuff there grate cutomer service.there is also remanufactered stuff to. 8

Hi Growers and Smokers

I have been looking to get my indoor tent soil grow happening for quite a while now; been researching as much as possible, reading forums, watching videos... it is getting to the point of making equipment purchases. I think I know what I want but would love to post my current plan and equipment list and see if there are any things the experienced folks can advise or fill in the blanks.

Firstly a bit of info about me and the intentions for the grow:
I have no experience with growing, not just cannabis but any plants! But I have confidence and think I understand the fundamentals from what I have studied about indoor tent growing. And am prepared for 1st attempts to have “results that may vary”.
I have been smoking cannabis every day for over 20 years. I like "fruity" tasting buds with a happy head stone (honestly, have never known what strain I smoke, but I guess I prefer Sativa)
I live in Australia so sourcing equipment / soil / seeds are a little tricker / more expensive. (and not legal)
I will have a partner (my brother, also a daily toker) helping with the grow.
OUR IDEAL YIELD would provide us with personal smoke, and if a cycle of growing is about around 3-4 months, that would be approx 300 grams.

After reading a lot of reviews and suggestions about what kind of reflector, I have decided a Cool Vented Hood is best, as some people report the cool "tubes" have hotspots and poor light distribution, and the circular glass can actually act as a magnifier of heat. I would save some money if going cool tubes but not a lot so figure I will go for a Vented Hood. I would really save money if I went with a non air cooled reflector like a "bat wing" but I can't help but think the heat will become an issue in a tent with a 600W bulb. I read a lot about how 600W is the best bang for the buck, some have said a 400W would be fine but others say just pony up for the 600.

So with these points in mind, I have sourced the following setup for the tent, lights and ventilation:

1. tent 1x1x2m
2. carbon filter 6 inch x50cm
3. ducting 6 inch x6m
4. duct fan 6 inch
5. clamps pair of 6"
6. Cool vent shade 6 inch flanges
7. hps lamp 600w 2100k
8. silver duct tape 50m roll
9. HPS Mag ballast 600w
10. 10A timer universal plug
11. reflector Yoyo 1 pair of 2 pcs

That list of gear is going to be around $600 AUD delivered. I am trying to figure out if there is another address apart from where I will have the grow to deliver this to. I might be over paranoid but I think that it is probably safer to be extra paranoid about this whole process.

The kit does not include a MH lamp for veg. I am deciding between getting some cheap CFL’s for this stage or just source a MH lamp from a local store or eBay (the actual lamps by themselves do not seem to expensive). Most things I read say yields will be better if veg’ing with a MH lamp.

I am also going to get a pH tester, seem pretty cheap on eBay.

SEEDS
I think I have settled on a place to mail order a few seeds. I am not sure what strain to get, but I really do not know what the differences are so am just going with the most common recommendations for a 1st tent grow which seem to be mazar or a superhaze.

SOIL
This is a subject I am struggling a bit to understand, there seem to be many “recipes” and differing opinions. I am not sure if I need to make different soils for different growth stages; or if there is a soil I can use from start to finish? I am also unsure if I use a soil if I need to use extra nutrients or fertilizers, or simply water. Any tips or links to guides are appreciated.
Most things I read on soil suggest “Fox farms” but that is not readily available in Australia. So trying to find info about what Australian growers use, I found this tip (Bunnings is a chain of building and gardening suppliers):
“I had pretty good results from Yates Potting Mix (with dynamic lifter)...it was about $10 a bag from bunnings. I add about 20% perlite to make it drain a bit better (also available from bunnings). Stay away from the cheap brand name potting mixes, they are crap and it's difficult to get seedlings started in them in my experience.”
This sounds great, but I am not sure if (a) this is meant just for seedlings or if it can be used for the whole grow and (b) will this need extra nutrients and fertilizer, and if so what types and how much?

POTS
I am not sure if I need to start seedlings in small pots then transfer for larger pots or “grow bags” after they reach a certain size? Or can I plant directly into the larger pots and stay there? Also, I am unsure if I need to have trays at the bottom of the pots – some things I read say you do otherwise you are just wasting water and nutrients when it comes out the bottom of the pot, others say let that water drain away as it will cause root rot.

I hope to place orders for equipment later this week.. does this look like an OK plan? I have a couple of other questions I cannot seem to find info on:
When you are in a 12/12 light cycle for flowering, do people have the light on udring the day or night? My thinking is it would be at night as it would be cooler then and the light would maintain a better temp, but during the day it is hotter so keep light off then? Also, when you have the light off during flowering and this was during the night, do you need to keep the fan running ie never turn off ventilation?

Thanks in advance for any information or tips. I plan on uploading a grow diary once it starts.
:smoke1:
MadFlavour

Welcome to MP. It seems you have definitely done your homework so kudos on that. Let me try and help you with a few things.

If you have a HPS magnetic ballast a MH bulb won't work in it. You would need a MH conversion bulb. You have a couple different options for vegging. I like vegging under HO T5's but cfls will work also. You could also veg under the HPS. It won't have optimal results but it will work. If you go that route you want to make sure the light is far enough away in the beginning.
I would ditch the yo yo hangers and get progrip or a clone of them. Yo yo hangers suck.
As for soil, you have to use nutrients in addition to your soil unless you are running an all organic super soil. You want to try and use a soil with none of the time released nutrients like Miracle Grow.
Hope that helps.

If you have a HPS magnetic ballast a MH bulb won't work in it. You would need a MH conversion bulb.

OK that may be why the package I have chosen is a bit cheaper than packages that come with both a MH and HPS lamp - I guess they have a ballast that can hande both? Or they include a "conversion bulb"?

As for soil, you have to use nutrients in addition to your soil unless you are running an all organic super soil. You want to try and use a soil with none of the time released nutrients like Miracle Grow.
Hope that helps.

Do you suggest a soil plus nutirents or organic? Some growers state taste is better organic, I guess I am just looking for what wil have the least amount of potential for stuff up on a 1st attempt.

Thanks for your post!

OK that may be why the package I have chosen is a bit cheaper than packages that come with both a MH and HPS lamp - I guess they have a ballast that can hande both? Or they include a "conversion bulb"?

Do you suggest a soil plus nutirents or organic? Some growers state taste is better organic, I guess I am just looking for what wil have the least amount of potential for stuff up on a 1st attempt.

Thanks for your post!

Digital ballasts can operate both types of bulbs. As for regular soil or super soil, it would probably be easier to use regular and nutrients over building your own super soil. The list of amendments you would need is fairly long and you would need to let it cook for like a month I believe. I am personally fond of General Hydroponics 3 part nutrients. They are cheap and easy to use. Not sure if you can get them where you are at. They sell them on Amazon here in the States. I don't put much stock in Organic tasting better. IMO with a proper cure both taste the same.

I might look for a grow tent package that comes with a digital ballast then.. Just do not have much leeway on the budget for the equipment, might be able to find a 2nd hand ballast or something.

As for soil, I have been pointed towards Searles premium potting mix, Searles Power Feed and Seasol which seem to be available in Aus. According to the website it

• Contains 8 months feeding.
• Certified Premium Grade AS 3743.
• Excellent general purpose premium potting mix (indoor, outdoor and semi-shade).
• Contains Searles Penetraide® Re-Wetting Granules and Water Crystals.
• Contains Robust® Controlled Release Fertiliser.
• Contains Zeolite plus added Trace Elements and Minerals.
• Contains Peat Moss plus Real Organic Compost.

I'm not sure if all that extra stuff is OK? Like the time release stuff?

Just a suggestion.... when you get ready to buy, post a link to the exact model you are planning to buy and I'm sure people will give you an opinion of it.

MF, that doesn't sound like very good soil to grow MJ in. MJ has very specific needs during its two major growth phases. That has 8 months of nutrients in it but you won't be vegging for that long. Once you flip to flower you need a different ratio of nutrients than in veg. Maybe you could find a soil made for seedlings?

Okay hopefully this will help anyone looking to join Groups, as it can be confusing. Quick Breakdown.

First click User CP on the upper left hand side>>>
attachment.php

Then click Group Memberships on the left hand side>>>
attachment.php

Then choose the Group you want to join and click the join group button on the right side next to the group you are joining and then the Join button at the bottom.
attachment.php

View attachment Groups.jpg

View attachment Grp Member.jpg

View attachment User cp.jpg

wow so i got a Large AgroMax tent and i have absoutly NO idea why i didnt get one earlier, nor do i even know how i delt without a tent, i mean its so much easier to regulate temps and if i forget to close my veg closet when flower lights go off its no big deal. the tent with the carbon filter i got ZOMG AMAZING!!! i have to modify my window panel for exhaust so in the mean time im venting back into the room and its amazing to stick my face up to the exhaust ducting and NOT smell a darn thing, especially since smell has been an issue for me for the past like 5 months or so... im glad all you tent growers constently show off your grows, that combined with the smell issue finally pushed me to get a tent... so awesome LOL. thanks to all who helped me with my questions and such.

wow so i got a Large AgroMax tent and i have absoutly NO idea why i didnt get one earlier, nor do i even know how i delt without a tent, i mean its so much easier to regulate temps and if i forget to close my veg closet when flower lights go off its no big deal. the tent with the carbon filter i got ZOMG AMAZING!!! i have to modify my window panel for exhaust so in the mean time im venting back into the room and its amazing to stick my face up to the exhaust ducting and NOT smell a darn thing, especially since smell has been an issue for me for the past like 5 months or so... im glad all you tent growers constently show off your grows, that combined with the smell issue finally pushed me to get a tent... so awesome LOL. thanks to all who helped me with my questions and such.

Glad you are loving Tent Growing. I can't imagine growing without them.

I felt the same way when I got mine a few months ago. I've grown for years in makeshift grow rooms. Tents are the only way to do it unless you have a dedicated room. Enjoy sunakard!

Thanks for the info i new i was doing it right blowing the hot air out yes ok and the the guy from aust you have a good plan it will work from my small experience i almost have the same setup pretty close to yours but i messed up and used m grow now i understand why not to use it ,so i pitched my 2 plants due to my funds being really low and the place i stay to paranoid not a good idea so i will wait untill there is a better time in my future. Good luck on your first grow i now it will work for you you have done your home work. 8

Hammy, I would like to join. I just got an Apollo 48X48X80 tent off Amazon and have now joined the ranks of tent people. I've got 4 Satori about 11 days above ground and about a week under 400W MH. I'll try to attach a couple of pics.

AG

Sorry about the size of the pictures-I just got a chuckle about how freakin' HUGE they are. It's been a while......

View attachment photo 1.jpg

View attachment photo 2.jpg

View attachment photo 3.jpg

Latest posts

Back