12/12

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

420NewbieRoyce

Reaction score
When should I change my light cycle to 12/12. My babies will be 5 weeks old this wensday. As of right now I have the light on them 24/7. How many weeks should I set the lights to 12 / 12?

You want the plant to be sexually mature, what you look for is alternating nodes. When 2 branches on main stem are directly side by side without any vertical difference the plant is sexually immature. If you are seeing female preflowers then the plant is ready to flip, this usually happens between week 4-6.

So from these pictures I uploaded, these plants are not sexually mature yet, correct? These are my girls and this is all new to me. 5 weeks old this wensday.

IMGP0798.JPG

IMGP0799.JPG

IMGP0800.JPG

I read somewhere that you can determine the sex by the way the branches come out. Is that true. Thanks for the advice in advance!

Look good but not quite ready to flip dont think might be nother week reckon

BWD

Anyway to tell the sex just by looking at the branches. They seem pretty symetrical to me. Thanks for the input guys really appreciate it!

Yup some folk here says they can tell I just look fur the identity at flowers first week ur two into flip. Folk be comin more to help yual out good luck friend ;)

BWD

you should take a couple of cuttining off the lower branches and clone them........ can't tell sex as of yet........although the middle pic is looking like a lanky male to me.

They definitely are not ready for the flip yet as there are no preflowers yet and the branches are still symmetrical. I would give them another week or 2 to see if they start alternating and popping out preflowers. Of course this will depend greatly on how much Sativa or Indica they have in them. Typically, the more Sativa they are, the longer it will take for them to reach maturity.

There is almost no way to tell much about sex until they start showing preflowers. Sometimes the larger and more lanky plants will be male but that doesn't always hold true. It is a decent indicator to keep an eye on those plants if you don't have femenized plants.

The length of time that they are in flower under 12/12 is also greatly dependant on the genetic line of the plants. A 7week flower is the shortest flowering time for regular photoperiod plants, but there are only a few strains that are that short. Most plants are 8-12weeks for full flowering. Do you know the strain of your plants?

420NewbieRoyce said:
I read somewhere that you can determine the sex by the way the branches come out. Is that true. Thanks for the advice in advance!

No, that is not true.

Your nodes on that plant are symmetrical. When they alternate meaning one comes out a little higher or lower then the one beside it, we call that alternating nodes. They don't sex until you have alternating nodes. The plant you are growing is probably not going to show you the six until 6-7 weeks. Sad but true.
Growing is about patience, I hate that, ha.

I am realizing how patient you have to be with this process. I feel like a kid wanting my cup of milk and its just not coming fast enough. Slow down take a bong hit and breathe!

You can, just be sure you label or number the plant they came off of. So if they are boys you can dump them.

Alright sounds like fun. A little project. When I take off my clone I want to take it from the bottom 2 0r 3 nodes back? I guess I could just watch a video!

Latest posts

Back