150 watt 120 volt hps for $20?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
time4tokin20s said:
These look like any other 150 watt HPS output I've ever seen.Got mine yesterday.They are sold more as building supplies.That's why they're so cheap.Very sturdy and water tight.Couldn't have asked for a better deal.

Couldn't agree more. I bought 2 for my closet and after I harvest, I'm going to flower the clones with HPS instead of CFLs. I'm thrilled with mine.

time4tokin20s said:
These look like any other 150 watt HPS output I've ever seen.Got mine yesterday.They are sold more as building supplies.That's why they're so cheap.Very sturdy and water tight.Couldn't have asked for a better deal.
That's what I'm saying though, you can't always say a 150w setup x 4 = the light output of a 600w setup. So even "any other 150 watt HPS" setup might not add up in efficiency. I'm more concerned about long term power use, so if I were to buy these and see that there's not as much light from 4 as I want, and need to buy 5, now that's a higher electric bill because you need 750 watts to get the same lighting. But hey, you say tomato, I say tomato, different strokes for different folks, however you wanna say it, I hope you get the best out of your investment. Good luck and I hope things grow well. :)

I'm hoping to order from this place eventually for my first indoor lights...I was just wondering what mount to choose??? Ceiling or Pendant mount??? and i noticed a 1000 hps bulb for very cheap but i don't see any ballast or mounts ...If anyone can help out here thanks

tn_toker420 said:
I'm hoping to order from this place eventually for my first indoor lights...I was just wondering what mount to choose??? Ceiling or Pendant mount??? and i noticed a 1000 hps bulb for very cheap but i don't see any ballast or mounts ...If anyone can help out here thanks

Hey toker the best deal on the site is the vapor tights. The 1000 watt costs as much as a hardware store fixture.

TommyBres said:
That's what I'm saying though, you can't always say a 150w setup x 4 = the light output of a 600w setup. So even "any other 150 watt HPS" setup might not add up in efficiency. I'm more concerned about long term power use, so if I were to buy these and see that there's not as much light from 4 as I want, and need to buy 5, now that's a higher electric bill because you need 750 watts to get the same lighting. But hey, you say tomato, I say tomato, different strokes for different folks, however you wanna say it, I hope you get the best out of your investment. Good luck and I hope things grow well. :)
Well, checked the lumen count on an average 600 watt HPS, it's around 90,000-100,000 lumens and this one has 15,000... So, if you were to buy 6, you'd only spend $120 on the lights and get about the same light to your plants, but you'd be paying for 900W instead of 600, and replacing 6 bulbs instead of 1. I'll stick with my setup.

TommyBres said:
Well, checked the lumen count on an average 600 watt HPS, it's around 90,000-100,000 lumens and this one has 15,000... So, if you were to buy 6, you'd only spend $120 on the lights and get about the same light to your plants, but you'd be paying for 900W instead of 600, and replacing 6 bulbs instead of 1. I'll stick with my setup.

If you already paid for a 600 watt lamp then there really is no point in getting a couple of 150 watt lamps although to begin with I am sure it would have been a lot cheaper. I know that a 150 watt lamp will be much easier to ground and safer to run than a 600 watt for sure.

wow what a great find thanks for the link almost started buying a ton of cfls now i wont lol. quick question ont hese 150 hps i plan on growing 4 plants any idea if 1 will do or should i order 2?:eek:

If you can order two, do it.I wish I would have ordered two at once.Now I have to put up an extra $10 for shipping on another order.

What else do you need for these lights someone mentioned wiring and do you also need vents for heat and what not??

i'm thinkin' SIDE LIGHTS......or even under the canopy......what do y'all think ????

flaboy420 said:
wow what a great find thanks for the link almost started buying a ton of cfls now i wont lol. quick question ont hese 150 hps i plan on growing 4 plants any idea if 1 will do or should i order 2?:eek:
well,.. i use a 1000w to grow 5...i would think you'd need more than 150w to grow 4

Albrecht said:
Well, I don't know about the quality of this particular product, but I have to say, e-conolight has won my future business. Their customer service is top notch. I sent them an email last night explaining my problem, and just kind of wondering how we could best resolve the problem. I tried to leave to door open to a personalized resolution, but I was totally expecting them to send me an RMA number, ask me to send the products back, which I would of course have to pay for, and then most likely charging me the 15% restocking fee that is listed in their return rules. Well, to my happy surprise, somebody from there just called me, asked me about my problem, and told me that they were going to ship me two more lights, free of charge. And I didn't have to send the others back or anything. THAT, my friends, is great customer service.

Of course, now I feel like a big dope, because rasta pm'd me with advice to not connect the ground wire, because it didn't work for him when he did, and lo and behold, they work now! :eek: :eek: :eek:

So I feel bad that I'm getting free product, even though it turned out to be a simple wiring error that was the problem. Well, I guess the least I can do is recommend them wholeheartedly and give them my return business.

ty for the heads up about the lights..i am curious,..so you did'nt hook up the ground wire? just the white and black? what did you do with the ground..just hanging there? wrapped?

The ballast is built into the fixture so all you would need to do is ground for a plug, at least that is what everybody else is saying, since I am no electrician I don't know if it is as easy as it looks. I have read many warnings against trying to rewire HID lamps in any way at all but since the wires come ready to be connected I guess it is meant to be rewired. I am trying to figure out the difference between the two types of 150 watt HPS "vapor tight" they have. Anybody know what the difference between the ballasts are other than one costs more? I don't even know if they ship worldwide but I am sure there are similar outlets in other places.

getlower99 said:
ty for the heads up about the lights..i am curious,..so you did'nt hook up the ground wire? just the white and black? what did you do with the ground..just hanging there? wrapped?

I just cut the ground off.

Dozingoffaroundthecorner said:
The ballast is built into the fixture so all you would need to do is ground for a plug, at least that is what everybody else is saying, since I am no electrician I don't know if it is as easy as it looks. I have read many warnings against trying to rewire HID lamps in any way at all but since the wires come ready to be connected I guess it is meant to be rewired. I am trying to figure out the difference between the two types of 150 watt HPS "vapor tight" they have. Anybody know what the difference between the ballasts are other than one costs more? I don't even know if they ship worldwide but I am sure there are similar outlets in other places.

The only difference is the way that they mount to the wall/ceiling.

Okay but one says 120/277 volt HX ballast (NPF) and the other says 120 volt reactor (NPF). I think that has something to do with the way the ballast is configured or the way it turns on. Not sure!! They both look like the same fixture but the ballast is different from what the description says.

I think that is the one everyone else got but did anybody try the other one? The one for 25 USD? There has to be a reason why it costs more and it must have something to do with the ballast or configuration for electrical output.

Dozingoffaroundthecorner said:
I think that is the one everyone else got but did anybody try the other one? The one for 25 USD? There has to be a reason why it costs more and it must have something to do with the ballast or configuration for electrical output.

They're the ones I bought because I wanted the screw holes in the top. I also didn't have any problem wiring them with the ground. The green is the ground, by the way. And, on the plug the silver screw is the white, the brass (yellow) one is the black. I saw a couple people had problems with the ground, but I don't have any idea what it was, since I'm not an electrician.

Latest posts

Back