2 (smart)meter opponents arrested in Naperville: 'A society of violating one another'

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

7greeneyes

MedicalNLovingIt!
Reaction score
I see alot of postings on mj growing forums regarding concern over their smart meters. Use common sense as well as be sure to pay your bill and don't steal electricity and you'll be fine. This is what happens when you physically confront the power companies' installers.

url: hMPp://articles.chicagotribune.com/2013-01-24/news/chi-naperville-smart-meter-arrest-20130123_1_meter-opponents-smart-meter-wireless-meters

Two (smart)meter opponents arrested in Naperville: 'A society of violating one another'

Two vocal opponents of Naperville’s initiative to install wireless electric meters on homes were arrested after interfering with the installation process, according to city officials.

Police are accompanying crews this week as they install smart meters at homes that previously sent away installers.

“The previous installation attempts were met with some resistance and we wanted to ensure our employees’ safety,” City Manager Doug Krieger said.

pixel.gif

pixel.gif

Naperville has installed smart meters on 57,000 homes and is about 99 percent through with the process. Officials have said the project will make the electric system more reliable and efficient and reduce costs.

However, the Naperville Smart Meter Awareness group has expressed concerns over whether the wireless meters will affect health, security and privacy. The group has a federal lawsuit pending against the city.

The two women arrested Wednesday are leaders of the group.

Malia "Kim" Bendis of the 2200 block of Mercer Court was charged with two misdemeanors — attempted eavesdropping and resisting a peace officer.

Jennifer Stahl of the 1400 block of Westglen Drive, received two ordinance violation citations — interfering with a police officer and preventing access to customer premises.

Stahl, who was released from custody about 4:30 p.m., said when she refused the smart meter, installers accompanied by police cut the bicycle lock she had placed on her fence and entered her backyard. She then stood in front of her electric meter and refused to move.

“It was forced on my house today,” she said. “It was really a violation. I violated something, but I’ve been violated too so I guess we’re now in a society of violating one another.”

The city, which has repeatedly declared the wireless meters to be safe, offers a non-wireless alternative meter to residents with concerns. There is a $68.35 initial fee for a non-wireless meter plus a $24.75 monthly fee for manually reading it. Stahl said residents who want a non-wireless meter should not have to pay for it, and said she represents other homeowners who were not able to continue to refuse the wireless meter installation.

“I have not done the work of attempting to educate the community and advocating for the right of anybody in Naperville to refuse the smart meter just to stand off to the side,” she said.

Bendis exited the Naperville Police Department about an hour later to handful of smart meter opponents who cheered for her release. She declined comment, citing the advice of her attorney.

Krieger defended the city moving forward with installation of the meters despite the objections from some homeowners.

“The city has always had and maintains the right to access our equipment, and today we were simply exercising that right,” he said.

we will see! i didnt allow them to install in my rented legal grow home, my lawyer is my landlord lol
i have a yr left on my lic & 1 yrs left till our canadian gov changes the rules for no more residential grows are allowed.
when they see im running 2k of power in the eve,they prob have a copper come see me lol. i also have 2 cops that live right behind me.
i dont care cause im legal, but we will seee. & yes i pay every fat hydro bill that comes threw,

These meters come up as a topic once in awhile, but they are nothing, pay your bill and nothing ever happens unless you go massive. i have had a SM for atleast 5 yrs and i have had 1200 watts going on and off at the exact same time everyday for the whole 5 yrs. they allow the power company to charge you different rates at different times of the day and thats pretty much it.

Like I've told my way paranoid grow guru, Dude, the power company will not rat you out, the bigger the bill the more revenue that comes back to them. As long as you're sensible with your usage and don't utilize a warehouse to bloom you're golden. oh yeah and DON'T STEAL ELECTRICITY!!!

Well, if you use high electricity and the cops look at your usage because they are already scoping you out, they can use that as evidence to obtain a warrant. Happened before.

in jersey the government pays for something like 40-60% of the cost of installation for solar panels on your home. so when i move to my new house, i'll be going green for sure. then when i have my friend who is an electrician come in to wire my new grow room. i'll also have him add the extra panels needed as well. the less people who know about my power consumption the better. HERE'S TO GOING GREEN :48:

Maybe one day you can incorporate solar panels Shortbus?

ShOrTbUs said:
ohh i plan on it in the future
Very cool! Have you kept up to date with the current technology? I think most conventional solar panels only convert something like 20% of light captured into energy.... Still quite a ways to go it seems!

Any smart meter have in my parts be the one in me pants ;) Wifes says its smart cause it stays away from her mostly

BWD

Gots more red rep! From pilgrem who failed to leave mark on the wall. Sorry for offendin ya and also sorry yual raised coward. Id say sorry personaly but yual didnt give me chance so be sayin my mind here to open forum ;) Hope yur trails end well who ever ya be!

BWD

It aint the Power Company or Smart Meters ya need to be aware of. Its yur mouth,,keep it shut and nobody will know.

7greeneyes said:
Like I've told my way paranoid grow guru, Dude, the power company will not rat you out, the bigger the bill the more revenue that comes back to them. As long as you're sensible with your usage and don't utilize a warehouse to bloom you're golden. oh yeah and DON'T STEAL ELECTRICITY!!!
See its not the power company you need to worry about its like many companies like health care privatizing , and that is what you need to worry about see these smart meters will be montored by a outside source and billing etc is also a outside source , i know this cause my ex wife does the billing
and them outside sources can sell your idenity just like how you get add calls, survey calls etc how you think they got your number ????
and that is where the problem lies your private information is going through a few hands ,
And Trust me cops can get all that info like nothing pretty easy really seeing more power consumption at certain times of the day yup they just monitor you for a while / under cover investigate and after a while they jump on you
Hell i have friends 4 years after the fact got busted for conspiracy , money laundering for importing 700 kilos over a span of 2 years and guess what they were not growing nothing at the time of arrest but there in jail ?????

Hell i have friends 4 years after the fact got busted for conspiracy , money laundering for importing 700 kilos over a span of 2 years and guess what they were not growing nothing at the time of arrest but there in jail ?????
?

bro that has nothing to do with growing!
when your that big selling chems, thats all they need, Then to catch u with it. ur done, & conspiracy to comit, is for murder,
if u sell enuff blow ect, that what they charge u with due to the possability to kill all the people you sold to. not 1 single thing to do with weed bud

Damned if you do & damned if you don't.....

If you do accept a Smart Meter you are open to whatever may or may not come along with it. Most likely nothing based on probable cause laws.
If you don't accept a SM, the question becomes, why? There are a lot of answers to this question from health concerns to a NATO conspiracy theory, so just pick one.
Of course when you refuse a SM a little red flag is apt pop up as to why you really did'nt want a SM, plus now you have be concerned about who that meter reader really is and if he is looking at just your meter. JMHO

Ruffy said:
?

bro that has nothing to do with growing!
when your that big selling chems, thats all they need, Then to catch u with it. ur done, & conspiracy to comit, is for murder,
if u sell enuff blow ect, that what they charge u with due to the possability to kill all the people you sold to. not 1 single thing to do with weed bud

700 kilos of pot and yes conspiracy, money laundering , goes with it

I like Smart Meters. It keeps Meter readers outta my yard. Unless you are already on the cops radar,,a Smart Meter is not gonna get you busted. Moving Lips is what gets you busted.
Ive NEVER seen anyone busted for Kilowatt Usage unless they were stealing it in the 1st place.

Pay your bill

If you want to grow enough for a warehouse, go to a commercial district and grow, there they are use to high consumption.

Pay your bill

Latest posts

Back