2nd Grow (highlights: bagseed, tent, t8 veg)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sMACkaddict

Señor Member
Reaction score
I got my veg room set up. I'm using an HTG mother keeper tent for vegging and eventually clones and a mother. Its got 4 4ft 32w t8 bulbs in there. A little low on the lumens, I know, but shop lights are the best light fixtures around this area.
I've got 18 seeds in an egg carton, which I hope will work out well as I can cut out the individual "pods" and just transplant them as is and the paper should degrade.
The seeds are just bagseed. Most likely(fingers crossed) due to actual fertilization because of the amount of seeds in the bud... Ordering seeds online isn't an option and I have one possible connect locally but its really hard to get in touch with them.
Anyways, I'll put up pics of the flower closet tomorrow or the next day.

thanks for stoppin by,

sMACk

veg.jpg

egg.jpg

maybe a little more info?

i germed the seeds in tap water with a little bleach. The bleach is just to help keep everything clean.
The seeds went stayed in the water over night until all the viable seeds sank. They sink because they have started opening. I decided to skip the paper towel part and just sow them directly into the soil Then, I planted them in the egg carton with some promix.
Does it matter when I put the egg carton under the t8's? Some of the seeds havent sprouted, should I wait till theyve all popped to put it under the lights? Or might they just as well have been in there from the start?

thanks

sMACk

I tried those egg cartons and IMO they dont work too well....they dry out fast and the dies they use leaches into soil...and the roots dont punch through unless you keep it real wet..and well we know MJ dont like that...I let them get first set leaf and then used a spoon to pull them out and into solo cups...I dout that shop light will work for a mother plant she will stretch bad...just my thaughts

take care and be safe

thanks for the pointers 4u

Ok, well some of the seedlings already have taproots comin out the bottom of the egg carton where I cut a hole, what do you think I should do? I might mess them up if I spoon those out.
Yea, I figured that for the shop lights... I am hoping on having figured out something more substantial by the time I have a mother. I also have like 4 40w cfls in my closet that I could setup hanging around a mother plant which might be decent for making up some lumens. Any good ideas in that area?

thanks again for the help

sMACk

and I should keep the t8's really close still, even though they are just itty bitty little seedlings?

sMACk

how many shop lights have ya got?....if ya have 3 place them virtical and then make a chandalere useing cfls hung from top. I like that you cut the bottom egg carton to allow roots..brilliant..but still dont think the carton will degrade well enough...what I would do is cut each egg slot out and cut in half....plant should be fine...

I use a shop light like yours in my veg area...mine sit right ontop the cup even the leafs will touch sometimes....I like to fill a solo cup 1/4 with soil then place seed in..then as she grows in the cup I fill with soil...me thinks the white inside cup helps with stretch minimal

P9040024.JPG

I agree with 4u, you don't want to make the roots have to push their way through anything except dirt, One of my seeds is already pushing her way up out of the seedling mix (Black Gold) in less than 24 hours. I have them under a variable speed MH set on 250w. As soon as they have all sprouted and show a couple of sets of leaves I'll turn it to 400w and when I begin to feed them, I'll turn it to 600w. I believe stretch will be minimized that way. JMHO

Peace

I am using 2 shop lights right now, they are fairly cheap, so Its not hard to pick up at least 1 more. I will prob wait on that till i find a mother.
OK, I am def moving the egg carton under the light today. I like your workshop 4u, looks like you got tons of interestin stuff goin on!
Good idea on the splitting the pods! Hadnt thought of that!

sMACk

HemperFi said:
I agree with 4u, you don't want to make the roots have to push their way through anything except dirt, One of my seeds is already pushing her way up out of the seedling mix (Black Gold) in less than 24 hours. I have them under a variable speed MH set on 250w. As soon as they have all sprouted and show a couple of sets of leaves I'll turn it to 400w and when I begin to feed them, I'll turn it to 600w. I believe stretch will be minimized that way. JMHO

Peace

Yea, most of my seedlings are completely popped and standin proud after 24hrs. Not sure what you are getting at though about lighting? I am not using a HID light right now, just t8s. I have a 400watt hps lined up for flowering. Sounds like a good plan tho if I ever buy a dimmable e-ballast...

sMACk

Sorry, the Blue Widow has sprouted in less than 48 hours -- not 24 :) Days are just flying by....

peace

thanks on my shop...I built it and am allways upgradeing...I have many strains...and yes I stay very busy...ill be checking in from time to time...right now I gotta get ready to go friends and BBQ and watch the Big Game...

I hope to have a similar thing going eventually, I am hooked, deeply hooked on growing already...
You mean football season opener? I need to see if I can watch that online where I am somehow...
thanks again for the help, enjoy the bbq!

sMACk

So here's what I got done today in the flower room(see picture).

I have a cool tube reflector, so there is a cool tube with a normal reflector housing instead of the usual cooltube reflector, and an inline fan.

I am wondering whether its worth it or not to put some ducting on the intake side of the reflector, so I can run the ductwork upto the top of the closet and remove air from the top of the room not just at the level the reflector is hanging. Waddayathink?

I'm really happy I got a speed controller too, this fan is LOUD at full speed, and wayy more powerful than I need.

lookin for feedback, positive/negative whatever, feel free to give your 2¢!

sMACk

flowr.jpg

:ciao: I would remove the heat from closet....Have ya test ran that yet? what are the temps when lights on? looks very nice...are you going to use a scrubber?..

Come on littles...Grow grow grow:lama:

I havent done a test run yet... last grow, it was running pretty hot, but I had a crappier hood and no inline fan with ducting... ill put some numbers up once I get a chance to take her around the block
thanks

sMACk

4u2sm0ke said:
:ciao: I would remove the heat from closet....Have ya test ran that yet? what are the temps when lights on? looks very nice...are you going to use a scrubber?..

Come on littles...Grow grow grow:lama:
I don't think im gonna use a scrubber... hard to get for me and I don't have any neighbors to worry about... or for that matter, visitors really...

thanks for stoppin by 4u, I appreciate it... you and hemper are the only 2!

sMACk

Ive got same tent, its perfect for me with limited space, you've got it set up real good an you should have good luck growing in it. green mojo to ya

Latest posts

Back