2nd Grow (highlights: bagseed, tent, t8 veg)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hey lobstah, thanks, is that a boston lobstah? reminds me of the accent there, where I am from originally....

sMACk

little update... couple no shows, but otherwise gangs all there...

veg1.jpg

closeup.jpg

Hey sMACk

Wicked cool beans. ;)
So glad you've been able to get started. You're going to have a blast. :watchplant:
I'm pulling up my recliner to help :watchplant:
What size exactly is the "mother keeper tent" you mentioned?
What size is your fan?
I don't know anything about cool tubes- so I'm no help there. I'm sure someone else will be along soon with ideas.

Are you going to come over and join us @ the tent growers thread?

tasty-

haha yea, when I dropped the inlaws off at the airport I went straight to the hardware store afterwards to get supplies... I think it was HemperFi who said it, but i forgot how hard it is to wait for these little sprouties to get big.

The mother keeper tent is from HTG supply and its roughly 4ft(w)x2ft(d)x4ft(h). Its supposed to be a clone/mother tent due to its low height. Its been great so far, and i do need to join the TGC! get my digits.
I have a 6" 440cfm fan in the flower room.

In the tent I have 2 bathroom exhaust fans, one for intake and the other for exhaust. The intake is 50 cfm and the other is 80ish cfm.

thanks for stoppin in tasty!

sMACk

alright, I know I've been probably doin too many updates while they are still so young, but this time I actually have a question!

When should I transplant? I was thinking after the 1st set of true leaves fully develops(which are actually the 2nd set of serrated leaves... right?).

What do you think?

Also, I've got 2 seedlings that are a little deformed. In the egg carton pictures they are in the back row, the two on the left side of the row. I tried really hard to get some close ups with my mediocre phone camera.
I am obviously going to let them continue to grow and see what happens but do you think it says something about how and if the plant will continue to grow?

thanks,

sMACk

plants1.jpg

plants2.jpg

closeup1.jpg

closeup2.jpg

echo echo echo

Went ahead and did the transplanting today. I decided to do a little experiment. I wanted to see if I could tell if the paper form the egg carton would or wouldnt hinder the growth of the seedlings. SO, when transplanting, I tried to shoot for 50/50 split of seedlings transplanted with the egg carton still attached(as little as possible) and without.

Getting the plants out of the carton was not as easy as hoped so I definitely didnt end up with a 50/50 split... I think like 4 out of the 15 got the carton full removed. On the other hand, the cardboard was comin apart pretty easily which gives me hope that roots will be able to push through it without too much trouble. I tore off as many layers of the paper as I could...

I germed 18 more seeds in order to try the experiment again, but I will use the results from this round to hone it in a little maybe.

sMACk

step1.jpg

step2.jpg

step3.jpg

over.jpg

close.jpg

smack-
What made you pick the egg cartons?
I was able to find some small four inch pots to do my seedlings in that worked pretty well. Or - last year- someone taught me how to make seedling pots from newspaper. Pretty easy once you get the hang of it and they can go right into soil.
When I did my clones in the coco pucks I was worried it would trap the roots. I cut X's in the bottoms when I transplanted and they all did fine.
Did you soak in water or do paper towels or straight to dirt?

Tasty! Sorry for taking so long to respond...

well, the egg cartons... hmm, I think I chose to try them because it was an easy way to manage 18 seeds at once. Also, I like the idea of being able to place the individual egg "pod" directly into soil when I transplant. Now, we have yet to see how well that works... but if it does work well, I will be a very happy camper. It will allow me to transplant seedlings without having to disturb the rootball at all(I'm a poet and i know it...)
Also, recycling is a pain here, so the more stuff I can make use of, the better...

I like the idea of making them out of newspaper, if the egg cartons don't work, you are definitely going to have to teach me how to make those!

I put the seeds in a cup of wter over night. They crack open a bit and the radical pops out, and then I sowed em right into the dirt... After reading Soma's growing book I decided to forgo the paper towel root. He says that the roots have micro roots that can attach to the paper and ripoff when you move the seed. Anyways, with the number of seeds I'm planting, and that they are bagseed, I have much more leeway...

Can't be much longer till you chop right?

sMACk

Yep, it was I who mentioned how difficult it is waiting for seeds to pop, but all aspects and stages of growing involve waiting. I'm waiting for the seedlings to get big enough to transplant, and I'll wait for them to get big enough to clone and then sex and then transplant again and then to flower -- it's a waiting game :)
I pop seeds the same way you do except I put them in Dixi cups with more soil. When they have a well developed root ball it is pretty easy to transplant them -- Something Hick taught me :)

Good luck with your grow -- I'll be watching

Peace

sMACK
When I popped this bunch I experimented. 1/2 doing the water thing, 1/2 doing the paper towel method. I'll have to go back and summarize the results now that all the plants have sexed.
Chopping Autos soon I hope still 3 weeks+ to go on the rest. Check out the new photos.

HemperFi
Patience these plants teach is antidote to every ill that ails me. I can only :watchplant: and marvel at each wonderful stage. Like a mini vacation and full emotional spa treatment each time I enter my tent.

Ok so I made a couple boo boos :stoned: haha.

1st booboo - When I germed the second set of seeds, I put too much bleach in the water cup and i think it killed most of them. ( the bleach protects the seeds from infection)

2nd booboo- the damn egg carton... looks like the plants that were unencumbered by cardboard from the egg carton are doing much better than those that had carboard still attached to the rootball.
Bottom line: egg cartons are not biodegradable enough!

Tasty- I think its time for you to show me that newspaper thing!

So I got 10 more seeds in water, this time NO bleach ha.
I'm gonna sow these right into solo cups this time...

looks like i will be culling a lot of these weaklings... good thing its just bagseed!

sMACk

Yep - skip the bleach thing. My seed provider has that as instruction #1 when they send seeds.

Good thing you got lots of them. For me it takes the pressure off when I've got a little bit of freedom to experiment. Like my runaway clones.

I'll see what I can do about making a little vid of how to do it.

yea I got tons of seeds from the brick stuff around here... I still can't get in touch with the local guy who supposedly has beans...

I'm workin on my significant other to let me order seeds online. The way we get our packages, they are almost always searched. Not thoroughly, just to check the contents to find out how much it costs so they can charge us a percentage of the value. If I send them a packing slip before hand tho, they wont search it I dont believe.

So, if anyone can offer some compelling arguments I would greatly appreciate it!

I found the seeds I want on Herbie's... ahh Its so hard to pick!!! I think I want Resin seeds L.A. ultra and Emerald Triangle super sour OG...

I decided to cull some of the seedlings, the more sickly ones... when I did the autopsy it was clear to me that the egg carton was inhibiting growth, I mean you can see it clearly in the picture. I'm excited to see what happens when they finally can push through the carton, maybe they will explode with growth?

Took a closeup to compare one of the seedlings that I transplanted with just the rootball and one that I transplanted in the egg carton pod.

sMACk

close.jpg

lightup.jpg

over.jpg

sMACK,
The local dude is probably just better bag seed. If you've invested in the gear it seems to me that investing in seeds just makes sense. Plus each seed can be used to make lots of little babies, so it is an excellent investment. Plus good reliable genetics (like Mandala) - mean less money spent on emergency solutions during grow - which means you need to try to get other stuff that isn't easy to find where you are. Less pests, less sickness, less worry, better results. Some of the stealth shipping appears to be pretty good.

But - you can't force someone to change how they feel about it. IMHO not the way to go. You will need to find a creative solution together!
Do they search letters or just packages?
And besides you might be surprised with what you end up with there. You might just get lucky and grow something you really love.

Can't wait to see what happens with this bunch. Isn't experimenting fun?

yea I hear that tasty. She has agreed to openly discuss the option of ordering seeds online if all other avenues of getting good genetics are exhausted!

Yea, since all the "commercial" grows here are outdoorsu up in the mountains, I;m hoping that my bagseed strains will at least be fairly resistant to high temperatures... I like the idea of having a local strain, especially since where I am located has a very strong marijuana history strain-wise.

well see what happens with "magic"... thats the local guys name btw.. hahaha

sMACk

mine came in a small package with some free gardening gloves, no label telling you its from anyone suspicious.

many many mant times i have seen onilne (this site) people claiming ordering seeds online is the safest part of growing. Find another location to have them sent to if your worried, but I got mine with no worries. Also, im 7.5 weeks into my bagseed harvest and all I can say is DAMN. You would call me a liar if I showed you the garbage *** bag of weed that the seeds came from that grew some damn good bud. Gl either way!!

sMACK- You've got one wonderful girlfriend there. Don't forget it :D

New2theGame said:
many many mant times i have seen onilne (this site) people claiming ordering seeds online is the safest part of growing. Find another location to have them sent to if your worried, but I got mine with no worries. Also, im 7.5 weeks into my bagseed harvest and all I can say is DAMN. You would call me a liar if I showed you the garbage *** bag of weed that the seeds came from that grew some damn good bud. Gl either way!!

thats good to hear man... you got any pictures or a growJ goin? I would definitely like to see how your beans are turnin out.

tasty - haha don't I know it... she comes on sometimes to check out my threads... hopefully she'll read this one!

sMACk

So the experiment is basically over...

Result: DO NOT USE EGG CARTONS!

The carton did not deteriorate fast enough to allow root growth and when I did remove the carton, which was very hard to do with out hurting the roots, the roots were still shocked.

I started 11 seeds in solo cups, 9 of which sprouted on sunday. They are doing very well and are outpacing the older plants by far.

Something I have realized, when sowing seeds, is to make sure you plant the seed a little deeper than one seed length. That way the root has space to come out and do its 180˚ turn. I have had a couple seeds I planted too shallow and the radical has popped out of the soil and ended up not doing well.

sMACk

Latest posts

Back