400w hps for seedlings?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

highway

Reaction score
Can I use my 400w hps lamp for my new seedlings after they break the surface of the soil as long as I keep them high enough not to heat stress them?

Well, that is tricky. Is that the only light you have? You need to keep them far enough from the light so as not to burn them, but close enough so they don't stretch. If they do stretch you can just bury the stem when you transplant it out of the seed starter.

Yeah...I think i would try and set the little ones uder some cfl's for the first couple weeks...is the 400 the light your using through the grow?...what size room they in?

:ciao: RoseBud

:48:

I had them under t12's after they broke the surfice for two days but the ballest blew this morning,can't get a new one for awhile,so I have only my 400w hps left.

HIi 4U!!!

Well then, stick them in a far away corner of the light and plan on doing as i said cause they will stretch, but don't put them right under that light. Green mojo to you. Let us know how it is going.

My room is 8' by 8' and yes I will be using a 400w and a 600w for the entire grow.

You might look into veging with t5's. They are really nice and you can put seedlings under them with no burn. I love my t5s.

8x8 room?....you need more light or Shrink the grow area...like Rose said..you will have stretch ...Best of luck

Thanks for the info,I'll put them off to the side until I can get out to get a new t5 set up.10 pineapple express,G13 labs

highway said:
My room is 8' by 8' and yes I will be using a 400w and a 600w for the entire grow.

It is hard to use a high intensity light while they are small seedlings. When you get the light far enough away so that the seedlings are not burned, you get stretch because the light is so far away (and you can only bury an elongated seedlings so many times). Most towns have Habitat for Humanity Restore places that sell used building supplies. I have seen fluorescents for quite cheap there, including T5s. Or check other thrift stores. Or even a few CFLs over them til they get a little size. I would try to not use the 400W if there is any other choice.

You are either going to need to get more light or make a smaller space (or buy a tent). A space that is 8 x 8 would require 4 600W to provide even minimum lighting. A 600W and a 400W will be good for about 25 sq ft (max)

Latest posts

Back