600W or 1000w

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yin325i

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I have two 4x4 table next to each other, and using 2 x 1000w hps. but on the edge of the table doesn't receive as much light as in the center, that's why most of the bud near the edge is smaller than the ones in center. so I am thinking to switch them to 3 x 600w, so the two tables will receive light evenly (even the edge). But my question is 1000w light has stronger light output that will makes the plant stronger and higher yield, so will the 600w won't be as good as the 1000w? will the result be the same? anyone had try it before? please let me know or give me some advices. thank you

I just bought a light mover and it was worth the small investment. I doubled my area without a huge investment.

I agree with Zip...you have plenty of lumens for that area, just maybe move your reflectors away from the center, or you have the wrong style reflectors for your application. I have a 4' x 4' area that I light with a 400w and a 600w and I have no shaded areas, so you should be fine with 2 1000w in the same space.

HI,

You definitely have plenty of light. Is it possible to move plant positions in the tables without too much hassle? I grow in soil and I move each plant's position around the room so everyone gets equal time in the 'sweet spot' and I rotate the plants a 1/4 turn every day or two as well.

Happy Growing!:cool:

yin325i said:
Hi everyone, I have two 4x4 table next to each other, and using 2 x 1000w hps. but on the edge of the table doesn't receive as much light as in the center, that's why most of the bud near the edge is smaller than the ones in center. so I am thinking to switch them to 3 x 600w, so the two tables will receive light evenly (even the edge). But my question is 1000w light has stronger light output that will makes the plant stronger and higher yield, so will the 600w won't be as good as the 1000w? will the result be the same? anyone had try it before? please let me know or give me some advices. thank you

I have the same setup you have it sounds like. i set my 2-1000 wt. hoods just off center so the hoods are more to the outside with them slightly tilted in, with the light overlapping each other onto the table. thought about adding a 400 wt MH but i think it would be overkill IMO.

I agree with the general consensus that you have plenty of lighting. Can you, as DOS suggested, rotate and reposition your plants, or even the table itself?

I'm in 4.5' x 8' with (2) 600watt, but I rotate the buckets 90 degrees and reposition each plant everyday (if I'm home, I rotate them 45 degrees twice a day). Keep plenty of wind on them so they'll grow up to be big and strong and you can move them all over the place.

Luck and peace.

i move my plants every 3rd day to distribute light evenly, im obssessed with it LOL, i even have pattern diagrams so i know where to move witch pots on wich days, i kinda of enjoy it, but if your in hydro this doesnt always work, i would say you can reposition those light to correct your issue.

Guess I dont understand about moving plants all the time. If your light pattern and lumens is right on par, how much more yield really can be expected from moving plants 1 or 5 times a day? Hell I guess, putting it on a automated roatating system would be money maker, if thats the case.

i dont know how much extra it produces, but it helps create even growth all the way around, i use a 600 for flower room and 400 for veg room, so obviously 600 is in middle of room so one plant may be 10 inches away and anoth is 2 ft so i move em around every 3rd day.

zipflip said:
if your gettin more light in center, do you mean the center betwen the two lights, by chance? if so, then maybe the light from ya reflectors is overlapping in the middle, hence being stronger there than on sides. and if be it the case, try moving ya reflectors apart more.
but im thinkin that 2 1000watters is plenty enuff for two 4x4 areas.
also wats teh dimensions of ya reflectors? are they more rectangular shaped?
maybe upgrading to two , more square shaped reflectors to accomadate ya 4x4 area would be cheaper and easier than goin out and buyin 3 whole new 600watters.

no, the center means in the center of the table, and yes, my reflectors are more like a rectangular shape, which has one side has an angle about 30-40 degree tilted. I hope you know which reflector that i'm talking about.

I would just continue to rotate the plants instead of buying all those new lights. If you're really that concerned you could try putting some t5 sidelighting on your setup.

Rotateing also gives you a reason to be in your grow 3 or 5 times a day...sorry babey...I gotta go turn the plants....lol

Latest posts

Back