About How Much to Water 3-gallon Smart Pots?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Auburn1985

Reaction score
I have plants currently in 3-gallon smart pots. About how much water should I give them?

I get a bit of runoff when I give them a quart-and-a-half. Does this mean I've watered them enough? However, I can still see some dry spots on top of my soil (Super Soil).

Thanks.

Water until you've fully saturated and have heavy have run off, then don't water again until you've lost at least 2/3rds of your full saturated weight.

If the soil gets too dry, you'll get run off immediately, don't let that throw you off.

Good luck.

Melvan said:
Water until you've fully saturated and have heavy have run off, then don't water again until you've lost at least 2/3rds of your full saturated weight.

If the soil gets too dry, you'll get run off immediately, don't let that throw you off.

Good luck.

OK, I was afraid that a lot of runoff would deplete the soil of nutrients over time. But I'll water more till I get lots of runoff.

I am the opposite. I don't like to drown them. I prefer to water/feed more frequent in a lighter amount. I generally find when the leaves are pointed straight to the sky, they are happy. When they fall to a "even" level, I feed them, back standing to attention.

With a super soil. It's more critical, in my experience, that I don't leach all the available nutrients from the pot. That's all they have.

I water till it runs out and the saucer catches it and the plant drinks it back up...but i don't water again until they are dry.

Rosebud said:
I water till it runs out and the saucer catches it and the plant drinks it back up...but i don't water again until they are dry.

:yeahthat:

Exactly what I do.

I water till there is just a very little bit of run off.

I then come back a hour or so later and water again till there is run off.

I let them dry out in between watering, not bone dry but pretty dry.

Yeah some science:laugh:....Everyone does it different depending on their needs and location....But they all work and that is what counts:)

nouvellechef said:
I am the opposite. I don't like to drown them. I prefer to water/feed more frequent in a lighter amount. I generally find when the leaves are pointed straight to the sky, they are happy. When they fall to a "even" level, I feed them, back standing to attention.

With a super soil. It's more critical, in my experience, that I don't leach all the available nutrients from the pot. That's all they have.

That's a good point NC, i think I might have leached my super soil, but I had to water twice a day all summer in 10 gallon smart pots...

I used to water how some people described, saturating then waiting like 3 days til they're dry to water again. At the advice of a friend I started watering smaller amounts daily to increase the plants metablolism. Would you want to binge eat then not eat for 3 days? It's a lot more work and hard to actually water EVERY day if you have any kind of life but I do my best. My friend said he gets 25% higher yields than his buddy who has the same set up as him and does the saturation method.

I have always believed cannabis needed and wet and dry cycle like so many other plants.

It does. That's why I like lighter doses, more often. I find I get way healthier results doing that method vs a heavy soak and dose them less often. I use 8gal airpots and generally its 1.5gal every 4-5 days.

Latest posts

Back