? about misting...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

North Fork Hermit

try'n to stop time.......
Reaction score
I usually grow outdoors and have never misted/sprayed my plants. I'm trying an indoor grow. Is it necessary to mist or is this an option one chooses? My sprouts are 10 days old,under 400w MH, 24/0. Just afraid any water/moisture would burn the leaves. I will be switching to 18/6 in a few days, I could understand misting at this point, just before lights out. Advice/opinions welcome.
I bow down to all successful indoor growers--much more involved than outdoors...........:farm:

It's a personal choice IMO.
i mist my clones and sometimes plants in veg but never when they're flowering.

I mist unrooted clones and nothing else. Is there a reason that you are going from 24/ to 18/6?

I don't mist unless I have a deficiency that needs imediate attention.

legalize_freedom said:
I don't mist unless I have a deficiency that needs imediate attention.
:yeahthat:

I don't even mist my clones. To me, misting creates more problems than it solves.

YMMV

DD

Yeah I just took a couple clones and misted all of them a few minutes ago... started thinking... too much moisture may bring about some unwanted mold and/or mildew.... gonna let a fan blow em for a few and let them be..

I never mist anything. Not even my clones. Having said that, I'd adjust my behavior if i felt the situation warranted it. Meaning, you gotta be flexible. I've found every strain to be different in their needs, level of care and pampering, etc. So if i got a strain that had an issue that i felt suddenly needed misting, i do it for sure but i've never had that and certainly prefer not to.

I mist unrooted clones and nothing else. Is there a reason that you are going from 24/ to 18/6?

THG, thanks for the reply. The light change is just personal choice to give the light a 6 hour a day rest, after run'n 24/7 for 3 weeks.

Hi, I mist My clones a few times daily as I just put them into the bucket that I harvested from 10 minutes earlier ( Soil mixture ). I just move the clones from the previous grow into the flowering closet and the cycle continues. Once rooted I no longer mist . This has been working now for about 2 years with bagseed and now I have just added Bubblecious into the mix ( 1 of each plant per grow 8-9 weeks ) . .......BMD

I mist my clones only on the day that I cut them and place them in the rapid rooters. I also mist the clone tray tent, both with 6.0pH water.

North Fork Hermit said:
THG, thanks for the reply. The light change is just personal choice to give the light a 6 hour a day rest, after run'n 24/7 for 3 weeks.

Mj does not need a rest period, this just prolongs the amount of days that your light is on 18/6.

I only mist unrooted clones also.

pcduck said:
Mj does not need a rest period, this just prolongs the amount of days that your light is on 18/6.

I only mist unrooted clones also.

:yeahthat: and it promotes stretching. It can appear that plants grown under 18/6 are the same size as plants grown 24/7. However, plants grown 24/7 generally have closer internodal spacing and therefore, more bud sites.

One thing to watch for is how wet your soil stays, I used to mist throughout veg on my last grow, and developed a bit of a fungus gnat problem as the top of my soil was always damp...I haven't misted anything this go around and appear to have a much healthier garden.

The Hemp Goddess said:
:yeahthat: and it promotes stretching. It can appear that plants grown under 18/6 are the same size as plants grown 24/7. However, plants grown 24/7 generally have closer internodal spacing and therefore, more bud sites.

I've heard this mentioned several times- that 18/6 promotes stretching. My experiments and experiences say otherwise.

Is there some reading I can do on this? Has anyone done any comparisons or tests?

Personally, I run 24/0 for usually about 4 weeks then switch to 18/6. My reasoning is, in my experience, that it forces preflowers sooner, usually within 2 weeks of switching- making it 6 weeks from germination. Under 24/0, it took closer to 8 weeks. Just my experience.

I'm not saying that growth isn't better under 24/0- I just don't see where a lack of light causes stretch. What is the plant stretching towards?

um..pcduck & THG, the light change was not to give the plant a rest but rather the light/ballast. Are you suggesting by run'n 24/0 will offer shorter/quicker veg time [say 4wks instead of 6] before i switch to 12/12 with HPS? So many different light schedules to choose from-[this inside stuff is scary for me]-try'n to keep it simple. Using 24/0 will make it easier to control temps in the tent [making my farming less stressful]--all advice is appreciated--thank you

yes running your lights 24/7 gives you a shorter veg time.IME

Ballasts do not need a rest time. They have came up with a new gizmo now that switches between bulbs so that you can run 2 bulbs for 12 hours each, off of the same ballast.(there is always one light on). When using this new gizmo the ballast is never turned off.

BB,The plant stretches towards the light.

Latest posts

Back