About Watts vs Lumens ??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Growin_4_It

Grower in training
Reaction score
I have a grow room measuring 4' x 2' x 6' . I am using 240 watts cfl's. How many lumens are 240watts? Am I even close to the amount of lumens needed to promote healthy veg growth? or flower?

I have been reading here and I think I want\need\haveto upgrade to HPS System but I am not sure how many watts that needs to be either...
I understand it definately needs a cool tube with heat ventalation.

I just recieved new beans, (Auto lowrider+Hindu kush) and I want to maximixe their growing potential.

Thanks for any advise! :watchplant:

You want a minimum of 40000 lumens for that space, I don't no how many lumens you have because you need to tell us what kind of bulbs you using!

Phatpharmer

growin 4 it if ya look on the side/bottom of the bulb box ,,it should tell you the lumens per bulb ,,:peace:

for whatever space you are using as a grow space,
you need adequate lighting. first understand that watts is
a unit for measuring how much electricity is used. Lumens is
a term for the light output. Youll need at LEAST 3000 lumens per square foot
to veg with. and youll need at least 5000 to flower with. So youll need to find a light source with the right spectrum that gives off enough lumens (light output) for your space. So if you have say a 4 square foot grow space, youll need a light source that gives off at least 20,000 lumens.
So measure the width and length of your grow space. then figure out how much light you need to properly luminate that area. the more lumens the better, just make sure you can control the heat of the lights. remember, you will lose lumens when the light is dispersed throughout the room. good luck

Growin_4_It said:
I have a grow room measuring 4' x 2' x 6' . I am using 240 watts cfl's. How many lumens are 240watts? Am I even close to the amount of lumens needed to promote healthy veg growth? or flower?

I'm sorry.....I thought 240 watts cfl's was what I am using.....I have 240 watts using floresent lighting.....

Thanks

CFL = Compact Flourescent Light.
cfls and tube flouros are the same thing
ones just compact. both you must keep as close
as possible to your plants. they have little to no penetration.

Thanks for the info guys...

So based on what I've learned here, I need at least 40,000 lumens in my grow box.

Thanks Ukgirl...I never thought to look on the box. :48:

The box says 1600 lumens x 6 bulbs = 9600 lumens = not enough :cry:

Which leads me to my next question...

Does a 400 watt hps system with the 6" cooltube make 40,000 lumens?

I think a 400 watt would be ok for your grow area. Do you have ventilation for your grow room? I can't remember how many lumens a 400 watt hps puts out but I always shoot for at least 50 watts of light per square foot of grow area that you have.. According to your first post... 4' X 2' = 8 sq ft. so a 400 should cover that amount of space adequately. Just my late night stoned thoughts. Hope it helps! :) Take care and be safe.

Latest posts

Back