Access To Marijuana For Medical Use In Danger

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ozzydiodude

Reaction score
Pubdate: Sat, 28 Jan 2012
Source: Oakland Press, The (MI)
Copyright: 2012 The Oakland Press
Author: Ryan Richmond
Note: Ryan Richmond, 34, of Royal Oak, is an active investor and a
member of the Marijuana Patients Organization
(marijuanapatients.org), an advocacy group in Troy that aims to
protect the rights of Michigan medical marijuana patients.

ACCESS TO MARIJUANA FOR MEDICAL USE IN DANGER

This is what they warned us would happen.

With the latest news that a group of individuals are trying to get a marijuana legalization question on the ballot in November, the familiar critics have come out to deride the current medical marijuana law as a Trojan horse for legalization. While many may think this is exactly what all patients and caregivers want, it is actually the actions of our own state government, specifically Attorney General Bill Schuette, that have forced the hand of proponents of safe access to marijuana for medical uses in the State of Michigan.

We have a situation where an adult with a qualifying condition and state card -- obtained by supplying medical records as well as the recommendation of a physician with which the patient has a relationship -- can legally obtain marijuana for medicinal purposes.

Apparently, this bar isn't high enough for Schuette. even though marijuana is the only example of a drug that you would need to possess a special card from the state rather than a simple prescription. It's as if Schuette keeps setting the bar higher because he doesn't really want access to be obtained.

When the goal is unattainable and they feel they are being manipulated, people tend to cut corners, which is exactly what the move for legalization is predicated upon. The problem with this approach is that completely legalizing marijuana for recreational use by adults is not the solution to the problem caused an overzealous attorney general who aggressively seeks to restrict access to marijuana by those who truly benefit from it. We can, however, avoid the perils of outright legalization and protect the rights of patients at the same time by enacting new legislation that clearly outlines these rights and is written so clearly that it is unassailable by the attorney general.

Rather than turn marijuana into a common commodity like alcohol or tobacco, a more explicitly written law would go a long way to ensure that supply is restricted to those who are legitimately ill and those who are charged with their care. Outright legalization would create an unacceptably high risk of the drug coming into the possession of children and teens much in the way that other more available substances easily do. The path that the attorney general is forcing advocates down will result in either a too restrictive or unregulated situation. If the initiative fails, he will have the ammunition to hack away at the existing law, and if it succeeds, Michigan will become a state of "Budtenders," a common title in Amsterdam, rather than a state of caregivers.

How about we shore up the existing law rather than abandon it entirely for one extreme or another?

I can't follow this guy, what's he trying to say??? :confused2:

Rather than turn marijuana into a common commodity like alcohol or tobacco, a more explicitly written law would go a long way to ensure that supply is restricted to those who are legitimately ill and those who are charged with their care. Outright legalization would create an unacceptably high risk of the drug coming into the possession of children and teens much in the way that other more available substances easily do. The path that the attorney general is forcing advocates down will result in either a too restrictive or unregulated situation. If the initiative fails, he will have the ammunition to hack away at the existing law, and if it succeeds, Michigan will become a state of "Budtenders," a common title in Amsterdam, rather than a state of caregivers.

IDK, but legalization would be the best thing for all...imho.

The AG is saying (I think) that the current MMJ laws are just a way to get marijuana legal for all. So he wants to change,or get rid of the current MMJ law in order to keep it out of the hands of kids. Because hey, all of us pot heads want to share with kids. And I think the writer is saying we should just fix the existing law. If the powers that be get to change the law, there probably wont be a MMJ law left. He is also saying that if made legal, kids will have greater access to the drug. Which we all know is bull#$@!

Roddy said:
I can't follow this guy, what's he trying to say??? :confused2:

IDK, but legalization would be the best thing for all...imho.

i agree, ryans rant came off pretty douchbag-ish to me too. and kinda pissed me off a bit.
never been for the "only certain people" crap. marijuana helps with anything, even a slight stomach ache.. but you want me to get a prescription for anything i use it for. howabout we just have it available so when i need it i can get it.. doesn't that sound better?

don't like the way he says legalization will cause unacceptable high risk to kids trying the drug.
um how exactly? i personally think a legit marijuana market would make it much harder for underagers to access the plant.

gotta say i feel so negative to cardholders like him. sure they're not as bad as the cashcropping card holders who want it to stay illegal only for their monetary gain.. but he definitely does no good for the pro-marijuana movement IMO

I don't know about anyone else or the way things are in your areas but around here kids are into mom and dad's grandma and pa's rxs everyday. I would rather see them smoking a joint as aposed to snorting and shooting up the man made drugs that for some reason ppl can live without now aday. 100 yrs ago ppl living to just as long as today and they didn't take these modern day wonder drugs

Ya its true. People should know the MMJ rules to avoid suspension.

Green Blessings. I Also use MJ in my religion along with my card. Mabe a new church in your area would help calm the mayor.lol. Amen.

FUM said:
Green Blessings. I Also use MJ in my religion along with my card. Mabe a new church in your area would help calm the mayor.lol. Amen.

Thanks for the information. It sounds interesting. People should read the rules and regulations first. Then they can post their post and replies.

Outright legalization would create an unacceptably high risk of the drug coming into the possession of children and teens much in the way that other more available substances easily do.
Ridiculas IMO. When I was in high school, and according to my kids who are now in high school...it was way easier to get illegal drugs than legal alcohol OR tobacco. People/stores selling legal drugs won't sell to kids...guess who will.

WOW....this is crazy! I just recently started the process of getting my marijuana card thanks to a few websites Health Canada and weed doctor which ultimately lead me in the right direction. I have found a doctor and have an appointment soon :) I would hate for this to affect us Canadians....considering I am just joining the legal side :p

Latest posts

Back