Advice Needed!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phatpharmer

Growin A Lifestyle
Reaction score
Hi guy's I started a new grow of NL there 10 days into flower and I have a few that are growing out of control, I'd like to trim off all bottom branches and leave only 4 or 5 main branches to flower my concern is that it may cause to much stress a make them hermie!:eek: So what do you guy's think can I trim the lower branches without worrying about stress or should I just leave them be and do the trimming next time before flowering let me no your opinions as I'd like to do this as soon as possible thanks and all opinions appreciated!

Phatpharmer:hubba:

hey man. im no genius in the least bit
but I dont like stressing my plants at all.
in my opinion i wouldnt do it.
cant stand hermies why risk it eh
good luck

My understanding is that it's safe as early as you are into flower. Wouldn't wait much longer though.

Also you should consider what % of the plant you're cutting off. I don't know what the exact amount would be, but I wouldn't cut off more than like 20% at this stage. If it's just a few lower branches that the plant isn't putting much energy into anyway, and getting much light energy from, I don't think it will cause it too much stress if they're suddenly gone.

hope that helps

Lots of people harvest in stages, and no stress. I cut off lower branches to allow concentration of energy on top branches which are usually larger. I think it is not necessary to worry that cutting of branches will causes hermies. I think perhaps radical fluctuations in light schedule, etc., and true stress will cause hermies.

My personal experience is that it is ok to trim off those small scragaly bottom branches. I do it because IMO they dont produce enough on them anyway to amount to anything, plus my cat like to eat um if I dont. lol.

I would leave the fan leaves though, they produce all the magical stuff needed for big buds

I have grown NL#5 for about4yrs and it is a very tough strain...ime u will be just fine taking off the extra growth))

good day:D

I Scrog and it is essentail to remove lower growth, it doesn't get any light. You do not want to be doing anything to serious once you get flowering going but only a week in, make it quick and don't wait so long next time.

pcduck said:
Make clones with the lower branches, but do it quickly

I do the same. Instead of throwing those away, it is best to try to make clones (though not all successful). Just today one of my 3 clones was loose in the soil so I pulled it up and no root after 9 days, so I tossed it. I hope the other 2 take.

I also use the bottom couple branches for clones. Just dont cut too many at once.

Latest posts

Back