aeroponics!! help?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Basically, I want to get a grow on in my room, nothing big or fancy.. just something so me n my pals don't have to buy 2g for 20 quid anymore!

I've seen a few 'make your own' vids and I think i could easily build one my self but, any help/advice people could offer would be amazing!

I just want a 3-6 plant 'one tub' set up for the corner of my spare room but I don't really know about what pump and nozzle heads to use etc.. i could go out and find out but I'd rather use the knowledge and experience of tried and tested methods!

It really is nothing big.. (W)900mm x (D)750mm x (H)1800mm frame made of PVC piping covered in Black and white Mylar sheeting.

So please, any advice would be amazing! thanks x

If you want simple look into DWC (direct water culture)
Aeroponics is not the way to go if you want simple.

I don't mind having to mess about with it if u mean in that sense.. doesn't aero give a bigger yield than DWC? was kinda the whole reason for going for it.

I'd say being right out of the gate, DWC is alot easier to contend with, then again I play in Dirt :)

Just post once pilgrem or yual goin to draw some negative attention yur ways. Ifin yual dont get answer right away just poke at yur fire and someone be long in bit ;)

BWD

giving it a go said:
I don't mind having to mess about with it if u mean in that sense.. doesn't aero give a bigger yield than DWC? was kinda the whole reason for going for it.

No. There really is no reason to believe that you will get larger yields with aero as opposed to DWC. In fact, it is a lot harder to keep the res cool when you have a water pump in the res. Res temps that are too high will give you all kinds of problems. If you want to start with hydro, I recommend going DWC also.

How much money do you have to spend on this project?

If you go aero, you may need a chiller, about $300. Any hydro is going to require a pH meter and a ppm meter.

What are your expectations from this grow?

well basically me n my mate have our own place n we both smoke a lot and we came to the conclusion it takes the piss having to waste money on mediocre bud people have to sell.. so we wanna grow our own! nothing major, 3-6 plants in a 60 litre tub, about 10 sprayers.. hoping for 5+ oz per plant. I assumed that DWC was hard to manange seeing as the roots are submerged entirely?

giving it a go said:
well basically me n my mate have our own place n we both smoke a lot and we came to the conclusion it takes the piss having to waste money on mediocre bud people have to sell.. so we wanna grow our own! nothing major, 3-6 plants in a 60 litre tub, about 10 sprayers.. hoping for 5+ oz per plant. I assumed that DWC was hard to manange seeing as the roots are submerged entirely?

if you want easy you shouldn't even go hydro. build a super soil and all you have to do is add water, and make a couple compost teas along the way to make sure your micro herd is thriving.

your setting your sights too high. you have to understand, growing indoors is nothing like what you see outside. unless you plan on dropping 2-3g's on a set up, your just not going to be growing 3-6 5oz plants.

realistically, your looking at 5oz in a 3x3 space for a first try. if you do your homework and don't mess up too bad.

to put that into perspective, upstart price for a 3x3 will run you about $1,000 when its all said and done. on the upside, with some experience you can dial in your room. learn to run a perpetual grow, and harvest 1-2zips every few weeks for as long as you can keep it going.

well I have done DWC in the past and have an aeroponic cloner ...I havent had the cloner long and have all ready had spray jets clog....I would go with DWC if ya wanna learn the basics of hydro..just my thaughts

:48:

giving it a go said:

I want to start out by telling you that we are here to help. Part of that means that we are going to tell you the truth. While I may come across as terse sometimes, I do have your best interests at heart, so keep that in mind.

DWC is not hard to manage and the roots are not submerged entirely. The problems with aero is that the sprayers have nute solution going through them and they clog regularly. In addition, the addition of a water pump to the res raises the temp of the res solution too high. You almost certainly would need a chiller.

Not trying to burst your bubble, but your expectations are not realistic. A 5 oz plant is a large plant. In 30 years of growing, I have never had an indoor plant go over 5.5 ozs, with most running in the 3 oz range And you could never ever get 3-6 5 oz plants in a 60 liter system.

The next hurdle is your space--I translate it to be approx 36" x 30" x 72". You are hoping for a yield in the 1-2 lb range. While you may be able to get a pound from a space that size eventually, you will need a dialed in space and have to do everything right. And it will not happen right out of the gate--there is a large learning curve to this growing stuff.

I would suggest a 600W HPS for flowering with an air coolable hood. I have found that T5 fluorescents work great for vegging. You will need ventilation, probably a 6" centrifuge type fan (don't get a duct booster fan as they do not work) for exhaust, although a 4" may work. You will need an oscillation fan for the space. I would go individual DWC buckets if you are sold on hydro. I think that DWC is the easiest of all the different types of hydro. You need buckets, lids, net post, medium, air tubing, air stones, and 1 or more air pumps. I like 1 larger one, some people use several smaller ones. You want the buckets to look like they are boiling, so you do need some air--ie don't buy a 5 gal aquarium pump for a 5 gal bucket--you need something larger like 20 gal pump. You will need net pots and medium. You will need a pH meter, caqlibration fluids and pH up and down. You will need something to measure ppms, calibration fluids, and nutrients. You will want to start with quality genetics. Decide what kind of high you want (up and energetic, something to relax, etc) and then start looking at seedbanks for something that sounds great.

Run everything by the good members here for advise--before you buy, as we can probably save you money and steer you away from things you don't want.

build a drip system with net pots and then when the roots hit the water u can use airstones for bubbleponics, then add nutes in water.

What I did for my first Hydro grow was a Drip System, I started cuttings in rockwool cubes, once rooted, put in 5 Gal pots full of hydroton (Round Clay Pellets) and had 8 of them all sitting in a huge tub laying on a table, and underneath it would be the Reservoir pumping the water to the plants and then drain back into the reservoir. This in my opinion is the easiest Hydro, but then again, I've never done DWC, I'd take the advice from a majority of the people here and go DWC, just throwing out that you don't have to go DWC, as the drip system I feel is just as easy if it's more your route? Once you get into flood and drain, and Aeroponics that's when certain demanding variables comes into play, at least in my experience.. See this is one of the rooms I was trying to describe. This is pretty simple in my opinion. FYI Sorry for the pic being so huge.. Ill resize next time..

View attachment IMG_0170.jpg

This thread is a year old :doh: so I suspect this guy did what he was going to do by now :)

Oh lmao! My stoned self didn't even realize the timing.. Although it was under new posts?? Awe... IM embarrassed lol

Don't worry man, you are not the first to do that, and you won't be the last :)

Latest posts

Back