Air Circulation in a Closet ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I Want Buds

Reaction score
Im about to set up my closet, but how am I supposed to get air circulating through there? I can't cut a hole in my ceiling to get to my attic and I obviously can't cut a hole in the side of my house to get to the outside. What am I supposed to do, where do I send the old air?

We cut a hole in the celing to the attic. We will repair the hole later when we are done.

Do you know if there is any other options if I CANT, in any way, cut a hole?

I Want Buds said:
Do you know if there is any other options if I CANT, in any way, cut a hole?

Where in the world do think it can go? Maybe if you run into your closet frequently, taking in deep breaths of hot air and then quickly run outside and blow it out? You can't send it out on a wireless signal... Exhausting air requires ductwork for air to exit the grow room... And it has to go somewhere... Why can't you cut a hole and repair it later? I hope you're not growing in your Mom's house! :p I sure hope not...

About the only alternative I can think of to having a hole in the ceiling or wall is running a inline fan and pulling or pushing the air an open window... You could make a board to fit in your window with a hole to run the duct to but I'd hate to think what a duct coming out of the closet and going through your room to the window would be to live with... And you're not even thinking about dealing with odor yet... If you're trying to keep things on the down low and get some flowering plants going they're going to scream out your hobby to everyone that steps into your pad. Maybe you should moth ball the grow idea until you have a location that is better suited...

Imho it's just not worth the effort let alone the risk to grow marijuana if you can't keep heat and odor under control. Sorry but I'm not trying to be a vibe kill... just realistic about what you're trying to do. If you don't have decent ventilation your buds potency will suffer. You'll be able to grow a jungle of foliage but for the goods you're after the conditions have to be right.

Peace!:cool:

observe my grow journal in the link below... i'm set up in a standard closet myself

dirtyolsouth said:
Where in the world do think it can go? Maybe if you run into your closet frequently, taking in deep breaths of hot air and then quickly run outside and blow it out? You can't send it out on a wireless signal... Exhausting air requires ductwork for air to exit the grow room... And it has to go somewhere... Why can't you cut a hole and repair it later? I hope you're not growing in your Mom's house! :p I sure hope not...

:rolleyes:

Don't worry about where I live and if you don't got nothin to help with, there's no point in coming at me with this stuff.
Maybe you're not aware of the advancements in inventions these days, but from my chair I see new stuff being invented all the time. I was hoping someone might have heard about a machine, perhaps, that can filter everything (smell/heat/whatever) and allow me to just release it into my room somewhere.
I'm not worried about my house smelling like bud, but I can't be shooting the smell into the attic. This is an old house and I'm not sure how its vents are set up and I'm sure the other person I live with would'nt appreciate having weed stank blown in here room all day. I've said before this is my first try at indoor growing and I know nothing about it...

If you don't own the house you could always go to a local builders second hand supply store and pick up a cheap door for your closet; which I can't beleive would cost you more than $10. Cut a 4" or 6" hole in the door at the top and fit an exhuast fan. If you are lucky enough you might find one from an office block that has a louvered vent already installed in the base for a passive intake. You can make a light box out of a cardboard beer carton or MDF if you are handy, to prevent light leaks.

A word of caution though, if you can smell your grow or your housemate can, so can anyone else that comes nearby your home. You might want to think about some form of odour control also.

I Want Buds said:
:rolleyes:

Don't worry about where I live and if you don't got nothin to help with, there's no point in coming at me with this stuff.
Maybe you're not aware of the advancements in inventions these days, but from my chair I see new stuff being invented all the time. I was hoping someone might have heard about a machine, perhaps, that can filter everything (smell/heat/whatever) and allow me to just release it into my room somewhere.
I'm not worried about my house smelling like bud, but I can't be shooting the smell into the attic. This is an old house and I'm not sure how its vents are set up and I'm sure the other person I live with would'nt appreciate having weed stank blown in here room all day. I've said before this is my first try at indoor growing and I know nothing about it...

Sorry to offend you... Long day... I really didn't want to come off mean but I do hope you're looking at the hobby in a realistic way. MOST of all I'd hate to see you busted. And there's no sense p*ssing off your roomie... I have offered every suggestion and tried to help lots but I guess all it takes is one off handed comment to forget all that... no worries, I'll spark another and you should too...

OH! Such a machine does exist for odor control... A carbon filter with an inline fan! These can be ran within your closet or the room it's in and it will take care of the odor if you get an adequate one. My 40 lb filter is exhausting into my attic and there is NO odor at all up there... If you ran one inside the room the air will be constantly getting scrubbed and the odor would never get a chance to build up. It doesn't take a very powerful fan to only cycle air through a filter... nothing nearly as strong as heat coming off of HIDs requires. But even if you remove all the odor.... if you build up the heat with lighting you'll still need to exhaust the hot air for success.

Good Luck...

Peace!:cool:

I have offered every suggestion and tried to help lots but I guess all it takes is one off handed comment to forget all that

Nah, that's why I responded the way I did. You've been nothing but welcoming and helpful since I got here. Had it been someone else I woulda just ignored it.

Well if I CAN control the odor, then I might be able to just run some tubing up next to an open window. My window is almost always open anyways, so it wouldn't seem weird to neighbors. Also, I live in a crap ghetto neighborhood and cops won't even drive through here without there being a murder or something. I wouldn't be surprised if Both (i know 1 does) of my neighbors grow.

I've lived in the same house for 7 years and could count on one hand the number of police cars I've seen driving around here. They only come here if there's a reason also, but we have incredibly low rates of crime in the area.

I got a neighbor too.. :p
and a roommate that only notices a smell when i smoke him out. :D
anyhow, look at my journal for the pics of my closet.
go to the paint section of almost any hardware store and buy a 20' by 40' roll(take some measurements to see what you'll need) of black plastic at least 3mm thick, two rolls of quality tape, and borrow a staple gun if you dont have one.. and depending on what your going for, some type of fan and some dryer ducting. the highest tech, is do it yourself.

I gotta admit I didn't think it would be this hard to get started. Growing outdoors is so much easier. I think I'll enjoy this challenge more though... Thanks for the suggestions

I Want Buds said:
I gotta admit I didn't think it would be this hard to get started. Growing outdoors is so much easier. I think I'll enjoy this challenge more though... Thanks for the suggestions

Tell that to my buddy who came back from working on his outdoor remote guerrilla grow COVERED in wood ticks! :eek: He estimated about 70 or so... He stripped down butt naked by his car, removed all the ticks he could see and drove about 45 miles back home in his birthday suit... :p He called his wife on the way and she met him in the driveway with his robe. :rolleyes: Luckily it was dark out and he doesn't think any neighbors saw him. It would have been something else if he had been pulled over. Oh... and he found about 20 more ticks when he got home. Nice. He was soon online shopping for some type of "bug suit" to wear when he goes out there... I can't imagine that being too low key but maybe if it's made for hunters and then the game warden is going to think you're poaching if you are dressed in a camouflaged bug suit... I saw some online that look kind of like an oversized mop sort of like a bush so you blend in... Imagine getting caught in a suit that makes you look like bushy vegetation with plants in your hands as I know he starts different plants throughout the season. Any-hoo.

It all depends on your situation but indoor and outdoor growing all have their list of pro's and cons. Indoors it's possible to have the perfect day every day. Perfect humidity, no rain to make your buds get moldy, hopefully much better pest control than outdoors, nothing to eat your plants, etc... Outdoors is awesome if you have a low key location that doesn't require too much hassle to maintain your girls when it doesn't rain. And of course... thiefs and LE to deal with out in the elements. But there's one thing that is hard to argue with... Weed grown outdoors gets dank all by it's own much more easily than the skilled grower can do indoors. Growing weed indoors requires jumping through more hoops but can be very rewarding IF all the factors are optimum or close to it. Outdoors... a grower with average growing chops and a minimal amount of attention will still yield dank bud with little or no added fertilization. Mother Earth is really something to say the very least. The sun sure helps too... and I'm certain that UVB and other radiation as well as the spectrum of a burning star has a lot to do with it... ;)

Now YOU have to be Dude Nature... & you gotta send a cold front and a nice breeze into your closet!

Good Luck!:cool:

Okay... I HAD to do it... here's what they call a Ghillie Camouflage Bug Suit LMAO!!! Maybe with one of these you could just go hang out once in awhile with your plants and REALLY bond with them...? Frickin' PRICELESS...

ghillie-suit.jpg

Latest posts

Back